kia stinger store

Transmission Leak - Kia Warranty Repair - How it Went

ChaneRZ

1000 Posts Club!
Bay Area, California

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
If it takes them three repairs to finally fix this... but it continues... might wanna look into a lemon lawyer...

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
If it takes them three repairs to finally fix this... but it continues... might wanna look into a lemon lawyer...
That crossed my mind but I’m not sure that would apply. It’s not the fault of the car at this point, but flaws in the work. I love the car anyway, so I wouldn’t want to part with it.

After visiting the dealer today, they are ordering a new radiator hose. Hopefully that fixes the problem for good.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
That crossed my mind but I’m not sure that would apply. It’s not the fault of the car at this point, but flaws in the work. I love the car anyway, so I wouldn’t want to part with it.

After visiting the dealer today, they are ordering a new radiator hose. Hopefully that fixes the problem for good.
Yes true. Well good luck! :D

Btw... a Lemon Lawyer isn't just for getting a refund or vehicle replacement... you could just get compensated for your time being wasted and the stress of the event... :p

I like my Stinger a lot too... I just am not a fan with how corporate and dealerships both communicate and treat their customers of their "halo" cars lmfao! :p

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Heading back to the dealership in an hour or so to have a radiator hose replaced.

Also recently noticed a noise coming from the car. It’s a metallic clicking/chattering noise when coasting at low speeds. Noise is proportional to wheel speed, but definitely 4-5x faster than wheel speed (1 rotation of wheels does not equal 1 instance of the noise). Noise seems to go away as soon as I apply any throttle. Took all of the wheels off to make sure there were no rocks or anything wedged so where. Lifted the car and spun the wheels and couldn’t hear the sound. I’m thinking it’s mechanical. Something in the drivetrain, probably caused during the transmission replacement. I’m going to have them try to find it. Fingers crossed. Hopefully they do and it’s something simple.

I’m getting more and more motivated to let this car go and get a Vette

narsnail

London, ON
Heading back to the dealership in an hour or so to have a radiator hose replaced.

Also recently noticed a noise coming from the car. It’s a metallic clicking/chattering noise when coasting at low speeds. Noise is proportional to wheel speed, but definitely 4-5x faster than wheel speed (1 rotation of wheels does not equal 1 instance of the noise). Noise seems to go away as soon as I apply any throttle. Took all of the wheels off to make sure there were no rocks or anything wedged so where. Lifted the car and spun the wheels and couldn’t hear the sound. I’m thinking it’s mechanical. Something in the drivetrain, probably caused during the transmission replacement. I’m going to have them try to find it. Fingers crossed. Hopefully they do and it’s something simple.

I’m getting more and more motivated to let this car go and get a Vette
I get the clicking too, replaced both front axles and it's still there also with a pretty bad vibration. It's a u-joint, wheel bearings, or prop/driveshaft support bearings IMO. Let me know what you find out.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
I get the clicking too, replaced both front axles and it's still there also with a pretty bad vibration. It's a u-joint, wheel bearings, or prop/driveshaft support bearings IMO. Let me know what you find out.
My noise, as I expected, is coming from the driveshaft (internally). I could tell it wasn’t coming from the front of the car. Also, I can’t feel it. I can only hear it. I hope you get yours figured out. I know first hand, it’s pretty upsetting.

They opened a tech line case and I’ll have to drop the car off some time next week to have that figured out and fixed, as well as replace the rad hose.

Spaceme17

My noise, as I expected, is coming from the driveshaft (internally). I could tell it wasn’t coming from the front of the car. Also, I can’t feel it. I can only hear it. I hope you get yours figured out. I know first hand, it’s pretty upsetting.

They opened a tech line case and I’ll have to drop the car off some time next week to have that figured out and fixed, as well as replace the rad hose.

Any updates?

I just notices I have a leaking transmission yesterday when I changed my oil. 4500 miles on my car. 2020 AWD GT2.

I have an appointment on the 24th.

Only mods were snorkels and JB4 on map 2 (Denso sparkplugs). Have noticed like a slight bit of “weirdness” in the car. Just hasn’t felt 100% and the of course the leak.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Any updates?

I just notices I have a leaking transmission yesterday when I changed my oil. 4500 miles on my car. 2020 AWD GT2.

I have an appointment on the 24th.

Only mods were snorkels and JB4 on map 2 (Denso sparkplugs). Have noticed like a slight bit of “weirdness” in the car. Just hasn’t felt 100% and the of course the leak.
Dealership never called me. Tried calling them yesterday and today, no answer. They’re closed now. I’ll call again on Monday and see what’s going on.

Sorry to hear about your leak. Very possible that they’ll replace your transmission also. I hope you don’t end up with any of the problems I’m having. It’s pretty frustrating. Been to the dealership probably 10 times now because of this.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
an update: Took the car back in on 3/18. They gave me a K5 as a loaner. Had the upper rad hose replaced and the drive shaft replaced. Got it back on 3/24. Fixed the the noise. Coolant STILL has a slow leak. Its very slow, but its definitely not 100% fixed. I filled the radiator completely and the coolant reservoir to the full line on friday. It's near the low line now and the fill neck of the radiator is empty. I cant find the leak so I hope it's not a head gasket issue. No white smoke and nothing in the oil.

Very tired of going to the dealership and driving loaner cars. If I didn't just buy a house, this car would be gone. I've had too many issues with it.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

narsnail

London, ON
an update: Took the car back in on 3/18. They gave me a K5 as a loaner. Had the upper rad hose replaced and the drive shaft replaced. Got it back on 3/24. Fixed the the noise. Coolant STILL has a slow leak. Its very slow, but its definitely not 100% fixed. I filled the radiator completely and the coolant reservoir to the full line on friday. It's near the low line now and the fill neck of the radiator is empty. I cant find the leak so I hope it's not a head gasket issue. No white smoke and nothing in the oil.

Very tired of going to the dealership and driving loaner cars. If I didn't just buy a house, this car would be gone. I've had too many issues with it.
Does your state have a lemon law? If you do may want to contact a lawyer.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Does your state have a lemon law? If you do may want to contact a lawyer.
It does but only qualifies for cars less than 1 year old and under 12,000 miles. Unfortunately I'm over 2 years and 32,000+ miles.

Spaceme17

Are you sure that there just was not air getting worked out of the system? Lots of cars have very complex cooling systems and it can take time to get all the air out.

I sympathize with you, man.

I loved the Stinger but I was not looking forward to dealing with a dealership for my car. So I traded it in on a 2017 Camaro SS.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you sure that there just was not air getting worked out of the system? Lots of cars have very complex cooling systems and it can take time to get all the air out.

I sympathize with you, man.

I loved the Stinger but I was not looking forward to dealing with a dealership for my car. So I traded it in on a 2017 Camaro SS.
I’m pretty sure. I kept filling the radiator and after 2 minutes, the neck was empty. Did that about 6 times before doing what I said above. I’ve driven it a couple hundred miles since I got it back, so it should be good by now, but it continues to go down.

Coincidentally, I was going to get a Camaro SS myself. I was going to order one from the factory, then the factory shut down. I still plan to get one soon. Can’t find any good used one with a manual transmission and dual mode exhaust anywhere nearby.

G

G-447843

This is going to be long, so TLDR: found a transmission leak. Transmission was replaced under warranty and they gave me a loaner car. Stinger currently has a coolant leak and is back at the dealership.

Alright now the full story of how it went/is going dealing with Kia for a major warranty repair, for anyone else who will unfortunately have to do the same.

While I was changing my oil at 30,000 miles, I noticed a pretty significant transmission fluid leak appearing to be coming from the rear main seal.

Dec 22: Took the car into my local Kia dealer near Pittsburgh to have the leaked looked at, so Kia could decide what to do. I was informed that the tech who looked at the car confirmed that its leaking, and opened a techline case. Basically a warranty case with Kia. I was instructed to make an appointment after the holidays to follow up and have "further diagnostics" done so Kia could decide what to do. Also asked them to order the parts for the HECU recall.

Jan 3: talked to the service manager who set me up with an appointment on Jan 12th at 9am. I was under the impression that they would gather the info needed, and maybe check for a tune/any mods that might have caused the leak.

Jan 12: I got there and was told they would need to drop the engine to do their further diagnostics. They would send the info to kia who would approve the repair and only then would I be able to get a loaner car, This sounded pretty ridiculous to me because the job is half way done at that point. So I was told I could drop it off any day, any time.

Later that day, I returned with a ride home to drop off the car. At this point, I was under the impression that they'd be doing what they said, dropping the engine. Along with state inspection and the HECU recall, for which the parts had arrived.

Jan 14: Got a call informing me that they will be replacing the transmission. This is great because I was worried about any damage that may have been caused from low fluid. I was told I can pick the car up and they will call me when all of the parts arrive.

Went to pick up the car. They did the state inspection and the HECU recall fix. Engine and transmission were never touched. Not sure what happened to the "further diagnostics" they were going to do, but whatever. It's getting fixed. That's all I care about. I was also told a loaner car has been approved and they will be ready with one when I drop off the car, and I will be able to keep it for the length of the repair. The transmission replacement should take 2 or 3 days.

Jan 19: got a call. Parts were in. Made an apt fot the 27th. A loaner was approved from enterprise.

Jan 27: Dropped the car off. Someone from enterprise picked me up in the loner. Drove me back to enterprise where we did paperwork, and I went on my way.

Jan 30: got a call that the car was done. Went to pick it up. Let it warm up in the parking lot before leaving. All seemed fine. Got about 10 minutes away and the car starts overheating and steam is coming from the engine bay. Coolant leak. Great. Had to wait 2 and a half hours for a tow truck. Now the car is back at the dealership and won’t be touched again until Monday. Let’s hope they get it right this time. I had a feeling something wouldn’t be right when I got it back.

will update when there is news
I am now on my second month of a loaner car. 2020 Telluride. Started with a rear main seal leak, fixed that then transmission leak. Finally got approval for new transmission, now we wait. On my third rental car, at least that is being provided but hardly a comparison to my Telluride.