Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

The Other Side of “It’s a KIA”?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger vs The World' started by GRStinger, Jan 3, 2019.

1. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

Fiat owns Jeep, dodge, ram, chrystler, alpha, Maserati (I think), Ferrari, and maybach (I think)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ruturaj

Ruturaj United States Stinger Enthusiast

What kind of paint? I was thinking of using Plasti-dip.

3. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

I did my rear emblems with flat black PD , the key is to keep the can warm ( put can in a deep bowl with hot water ) and put on multiple thin layers

• Like Like x 1
  4. TODDK

TODDK United States Member

They do not own Maybach (Daimler) and the Ferrari situation is strange with Exor and Fiat

• Like Like x 1
  5. nhcowboy28

Pretty sure I’ve posted this a few times... but here we go.

Do it right. pd will never be as durable or clean.

Paint em.

Wipe with alcohol.

All spraying should be 20 minutes apart...

Spray 3 light coats of adhesion promoter.

1 light “tack” coat of paint...

3-5 more moderate “wet” coats of paint (not saturated).

Let dry in humidity controlled environment for 5-7 days. No cheating/touching.
    A52B2834-C367-4738-8AE1-D654D2C9FB8C.jpeg 970E93B9-8A38-43E4-8184-AB1FE3AF2A12.jpeg 9E880AC9-356C-4B30-8C80-C0F007509536.jpeg 7C5171C8-2E56-45C9-9060-779A989AAC53.jpeg C5AFCF3C-D40A-40AA-B77D-6C4CFCCF53EE.jpeg 1E9F38C1-B009-4CD3-871C-2676D5F51826.jpeg 58EFB609-0826-4152-9D4A-8F45375EA2A9.jpeg A9231616-4D8F-4865-AA42-428227F5284E.jpeg 67673BA0-7EAF-47D3-B1E3-952D0949A20D.jpeg B264EE85-CC2D-480B-8EF0-8A1AE00877C9.jpeg 99CFC4B5-68F2-43A9-A5E6-0BF80F68B75B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Brian B

Brian B United States Member

For the Stinger they should have used the K900 Kia Badge Take a look at this for the 2019 models 2019_kia_k900_47_1280x960.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. westcoastGT

...............lets me know when it starts to chip , cause it will ...............................imho and with experience

8. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Active Member

Or just the E badge they use for the Stinger in S Korea.

9. nhcowboy28

Wh
    y u hating my posts tonight?

I have experience too.

Did this to my mousetang. If allowed to cure and painted properly, they won’t chip.

A lot of factors. Humidity, temp, prep (I didn’t really prep other than alcohol... me and the emblems), patient painting techniques. Time. Etc.

And I go through touchless careashes too (gasp... nooooo).

Kept a black 2011 gt looking flawless until I traded it 4 years later. Weekly washing (touchless CW, then detailing sprays.m). Sealing/waxing monthly.

1 persons experience doesn’t mean all else will fail.

10. westcoastGT

no , just adding perspective and options for others to consider , in early days here the whole black badging topic was hot . I'm a hand wash , detail freak too , not hating on you all !!

11. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Active Member

Audi has been in GT sedan biz for decades. I’d argue markets are much different today than back in 80s. Audi 5000 was a damn nice car back in 80s and the unintended acceleration was fabrication by 60 minutes . Audi’s were marketed out of Porsche dealers as well in US making them an upscale car at upscale dealers. Special experience. I worked at a Porsche Audi dealer and remember how nice those Audi 5000 were for the time and the well healed buyers who bought them. There were not many competitors to Audi back then and fact they were sold by high class Porsche dealers added to upscale feeling of the cars. I actually think mistake Audi made was separating from Porsche dealers too early.

Stinger on the other hand is a great car sold and marketed with that damn low class Kia hamster car. It pulls the whole mystique of the car down into lower class sales experience. Not much mystique in buying a freaking Kia. The dealership experience isn’t anything like luxury brands of today. My dealer experience at 2 Kia dealers now has been so much further below what I see at Porsche or Audi dealer. Hell I spent less money on my wife’s CPO Porsche then on this Kia and Porsche dealer treated us like royalty. They even for warranty fix drove car to my wife’s office for her as she was too busy to drive down to them. I compare this with utterly incompetent sales experince at Kia dealer I purchased Stinger where they didn’t event execute contract properly and called me and had me drive 40 miles back to their dealership with no apology and they never prepped my car. I was at home taking all the plastics off the car everywhere. Sitting in showroom with freaking hamster cutouts and poorly informed car buyers and sellers was painful. Then when my Stinger went to dealer number two for warranty repair waited for ever to get crap box Hyundai Accent loaner and half of my warranty issues were not fixed. Compare that with warranty work on every Porsche I have owned and all were sub $50k cars. I was driving Panamera loaner or Cayenne or Macan much nicer cars than my lowly boxster. And Porsche takes quality issues seriously. My $40K Cayman S CPO had small defect in dash leather and Porsche dealer happily replaced entire dash with new $2300 leather covered dash on a 4 year old car! And can say all 4 of my new and used CPO Porsche’s had far fewer issues than this Stinger.

Kia need to do something different for people who pay $40k for more premium vehicle. A guy like myself from royal blood (verified on 23 and me) just expects a little better when buying a luxury GT. I’d rather not mix with commoners when driving my luxury GT car into dealer. Sort of like wine and cheese connisuier mixing with burger and fries crowd. Just don’t work.

I don’t think most people who are loyal to traditional luxury brands will have stomach to head to local Kia dealer and experience low class sales and service experience. That’s why I think Kia has no business selling Stinger along side Hamster car or cheapo Forte, or all other econo boxes.

So as I have said time will tell. When the excitement about a Kia GT wears off who will head to hamster cage to buy these cars? When used GTs start floating around at mid twenties not many people will be willing to pay $40k for new gt2. At current rate of depreciation it’s not going to be unusual to see some higher mile cars in low twenties soon. Those cars will cannibalize new sales as well.

I’m a pretty optimistic guy and I truly am rooting for Kia gang but the realist in me says doom doom doom as they aren’t doing a good job of differentiating the luxury car experience from $13000 crap boxes they sell.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. nhcowboy28

Curious...

And this is not a sarcastic or inflammatory question....

Why do you still own the stinger if you are so jaded or flaws and dealer experience. As you said, depreciation will only get worse. Trying to understand why you bought the car (under the same umbrella as the 13000 crap boxes), and why you continue to keep it.

Thanks for the insight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. jatleson

jatleson United States Member

This isn't that far off. I don't typically agree with all Cali posts, but there are valid points here. For the Stinger to successfully elevate Kia from a basic transportation car brand to a brand that people seek/aspire for they need (USA market), at a minimum, two pieces: a great car and a great experience.

To current Kia owners - the Stinger is the cat's meow. When the car goes in for service, they see them, sit in them, can tell this is a nicer, better built car than what is being currently driven. When it is time for a new car or when finances allow for an upgrade, sold. They don't have 'experience' expectations. This will sell cars, but it won't bring all the converts who shop new or CPO European brands.

Part of buying a European luxury brand is the experience - and once Genesis comes up for air, they are on the the right path (I've said it before Stinger = G75 anyone?). The main Stinger market is buyers looking for new or CPO 3/4 series, C class, A4/5 shoppers. They might be looking for better value, something different or long term ownership. The Stinger has already passed the test if it is being considered. Sure there are some bugs to work out (like every car has), but it passed the great car test.

Spending 40k+ on a car is a luxury, not a necessity. The buyers defined above have expectations that the sales process will be handled in a professional manner, no bait and switch, what is advertised is honored. After the sale the car is prepped as requested and any back-end processing that is needed is done timely and correctly (leases, loans, etc). Those two items are easy fixes and honestly should already be in place, it will make any Kia shopper a happier customer.

Personally, I can deal with any issues above. I buy a car because I want the car. If a dealership wants to treat me poorly, I'll walk out or give it right back to them. Where Kia need to step up is service - at a minimum it needs to be Kia policy that if you buy a Stinger or K900 and bring it to a dealership for service you get a loaner car, no questions asked. I know some dealers do this already, but it needs to be across the board. They also need to ensure their technicians are trained on the Stinger platform - again, this should be a no brainer.

Bottom line - a buyer looking for new or CPO 3/4 series, C class, A4/5 knows the car they are getting and knows that when the car comes in for service, they will be taken care of, regardless of which dealership it is taken too. A Kia buyer knows the car, but post sale is a dealer by dealer, situation by situation game. I plan on playing the game, love the Stinger, but to lure the new market (AKA me), they need to have more than just a car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Dude you can’t just question someone with “royal blood” like that. At least start it with Your Highness or he might put you in the stocks.

o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Active Member

Well making discision to live in middle of frozen tundra year round is a whole other discussion. I will pray for you
    I love unique under appreciated cars. Fully loaded GT2 RWD sedan at $45 K was also a bargain. I hadn’t anticipated the poor service.

I have indicated I will likely trade this car in on my new Porsche to be delivered later this month. I needed something to play with until my custom ordered sports car was built and delivered. My wife won’t drive Kia. So bought us a Dodge Durango RT as weekend/commuter vehicle rather than holding onto Stinger. She’s a bit of a car snob. She didn’t like my Honda Civic SI either . She’s sort of a Porsche princess. And she loves the Hemi V8 in dodge. I can’t explain it.

It’s been a fun 16000 miles in the car over past 8 months and I would have done it again even knowing about issues.

I think some confuse my assessment of market acceptance for my personal feelings about Stinger. I love the car . Great power, cool but quirky styling, nice steering etc. I’ll be sad to give it up but my new 911 will surely help me get over issue.

Dodge Durango will take over as my commuter. It’s more comfortable and practical than the stinger and that Hemi V8 sound track can’t be beat! And my dodge dealer is just awesome . But still will miss quirky but fun Stinger.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. nhcowboy28

Fair enough. Enjoy the Porsche.

17. Aurelian

Aurelian United States New Member

If it's not a warranty repair situation - why not just bring the Stinger to a Genesis dealer for service (once they are actually up and running)?

All their models are using similar powertrain and mechanical components anyway.

18. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Very well thought out and stated. Sometimes, I wonder if it would have been better received it had been a Genesis-branded vehicle.

19. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

LOLLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! You've stuck your "royal" neck on the block now. You just try to do this. I won't block you, though. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. phxgt

phxgt United States Active Member

Apparently Cali does not think Chevy should sell the Corevette-nor Nissan sell the GTR....can't have the royal blood tainted with the sweat of the common folk. Wow.... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted