Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

SA352 - ECU Replacement

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by TwiceStung, Nov 25, 2018.

1. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

With the ecu specifically, another stinger owner (2.0),asked why, to a dealer , his response was the old ecu's cannot accept a flash or reboot , so the ecus' are being replaced with updated technical units. Could be a smokescreen but whatever it is it's being done regardless.

2. GregM

GregM United States Member

Same here. Got the wire harness recall performed today on my 2.0 Premium and was told that I need to come back for an ECU replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rocket23

service tech said the ecu (albeit some of them) wouldn't send fuel pressure boost when needed. Thats the reason for the replacement.....Who knows?

4. mandasol

mandasol United States Active Member

I don't know about anyone else but I was suffering from major issues with the engine revving and cutting out with a cold start. I waited several weeks for my dealer to get the replacement ecu and the car was barely drive able in the mornings. By the way if anyone has this problem, driving in manual mode for the first 5-10 minutes helps a lot.

Got the car back with the new ECU and it's not only solved the revving and losing power issue, but throttle response is massively improved. Maybe my car was more affected than others but my car had terrible turbo/throttle lag so installed a RaceChip and that practically eliminated the lag. I've driven it a few days with the new ECU (without the RaceChip) and I'm dumbfounded because the lag seems to have gone. It feels like a different car. Throttle response is immediate and very easily modulated and controlled as opposed to before felt like it was either lag or a ton of boost and was difficult to modulate or control. I don't think I'll even put the RaceChip back on.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. rocket23

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jayemaich

Jayemaich United States Newish Member

Last weekend I left my garage and got a block away when my car started jumping/lunging around 3rd gear. Had it towed to dealer and they're saying its the ECU issue causing it. Of course they don't have any in stock. They said they would contact me when it was available, when I asked if it was safe to drive they put me in a rental and kept the car. It's been there a week now with no idea of when the part will be available, they've approved the rental car until it's fixed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Crappy news, @Jayemaich :( I hope that your replacement ECU is obtained pronto. Well, I guess that it's already too late for that: but pronto from this point on!

8. mandasol

If you haven't gotten it replaced already, insist they replace the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay as well, if they don't agree to it call KIA directly and ask them. Replacing my ECU helped some but I still had issues until they replaced the fuel pump.

9. Jayemaich

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.

10. rocket23

seems a lot of fuel pumps were replaced with the 1st year runs....I know mine was....on the up side everything runs perfect. No problems at all , even with the modest of mods....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jayemaich

Did you get any work order number for the fuel pump replacement? I called KIA and they were no help, the district manager was no help and the dealership are no help. I explained if I pick my car up (which has less than 4k miles on it) and have to return because of the fuel pump I'm gonna be pissed!!

12. Dochidalgo

Dochidalgo Mexico Active Member

In Mexico we have a saying ... "on warning, there is no deception" (sobre advertencia, no hay engaño). If you have the information issued by other owners of the 2.0T model about the replacement of the gas pump by Kia dealer's service manager, you can raise a claim. I suggest you let them know ..

13. mandasol

Copy of invoice for the fuel pump. I had to get mine serviced through several trips over several months, hopefully you don't have to.

Lou Sobh Kia.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jayemaich

Thank you, hopefully this will at least make them listen! Appreciate the help.

15. SOCAL2.0

SOCAL2.0 United States Member

Now I have the wire harness recall and ECU recall done on my 2.0 Premium. No more open recalls. l Had no problems before and have no problems now. Just got back from a 1400 mile trip to Houston and no problems. After the trip the new ECU was installed and I had them change oil. Now they use Mobile 1 0/30 instead of Total and told mer to get another change at 5000 miles. They did charge me for 8 quarts which I disputed and they did a $10 per quart refund! Looking for a new dealer closer to home and with more Stinger expertise. Over $100 for an oil change is more than Mini charges my Grandson and the attention to detail and the facilities is so much better!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rocket23

Get a few ramps and do it yourself....2 things happen 1 you get to know your car and 2 ya save on $$.

17. Tri-Cities Owner

Tri-Cities Owner United States Newish Member

I had a series of factory authorized items performed several weeks ago including the wire harness and the ECU replacement. No information was provided as to why the ECU was being replaced other than the Service Manager stating that it was very unusual since normally the ECU is updated by flashing the unit. I did have to wait a little over 4 weeks for the ECU to actually arrive at the dealership. I did not have any problems before with regards to the engine cutting out but after the ECU was replaced I have noticed much smoother throttle response and also a 1.5 mpg improvement in car gas performance.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Stinger305

Stinger305 United States Member

Oh man, I hope I get an MPG boost!

Just dropped my Stinger off for an oil change. Under 2 hours and got the wiring harness and ECU replacement recalls done too. Nice experience on my end. Now I need to drive it and see if I feel a change.

19. rocket23

you wont

20. scy

scy United States Member

I too got the SA352 notice for my 2.0T and I ignored it. The car was fine so I didn't take it in.

I have about 25,500 miles. Well, in the last week or so, the car started hesitating and fuel economy decreased. But it didn't throw a code.

Today, while I was 120 miles from home, the car really hesitated and finally threw a P0088 code (Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High). Now it won't accelerate past 50 MPH and looks like it's in limp mode.

I had to have it towed to nearest dealer, which is 120 miles from my home. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

The lesson here is not to ignore recall notices lest you end up stranded far from home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted