Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

SA352 - ECU Replacement

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by TwiceStung, Nov 25, 2018.

1. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Didn’t see this yet so thought I’d add it here. When getting my summer to winter tires (Nokian WRG4’s) switched out on the Premium 2.0 I’ve had for one month as of today, I was told I needed a new ECU under SA352. I’ve not found SA352 mentioned anywhere online. Something to do with the ECU having the potential to throw bad codes related to the fuel delivery system per Kia service. Of course, I didn’t ask why they didn’t tell me about this three weeks ago when I got the car. Sold my Stinger base to Carvana for a profit and got a close out ‘18 Premium. Never knew how many options I was missing. Lol. Anyone else heard about or gotten a new ECU? Maybe I can get them to program it for an extra 4PSI of boost. Not!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

No sir. I have not heard anything about this one till now. What happens if you say yes? It's all under warranty, so they shouldn't charge you anything (or keep your car for more than a day). A direct search of Kia's website for "sa352" turns up nothing. The Kia Owners website only has one recall, SA341 CK FAST STATIC GEAR SHIFT LOGIC.

3. TwiceStung

Yeah, I’ve known about all the other Service Actions, which is why I was so surprised that I could not find this one. Wonder if it has something to do with the 2.0 fuel pump failures. Had that happen on the prior 2.0 car.

4. Bobr

Bobr United States Active Member

Wondering about the same... I had kind of "fuel pump failure" once, also know another owner who has that problem more often (we're in Russia).

5. JP5

JP5 United States New Member

I am having this done today, attached TSB notice for SA 352. This was not to address a complaint by me, but a factory initiated action.

One note on my 2.0T that I have seen others describe vaguely also; I have noticed that my car exhibits non-linear acceleration, ie. it feels as though it hesitates under power, particularly noticeable in Sport-Mode. It feels reasonable strong, just not the smooth turbine-like acceleration you'd expect from a modern car. I have asked about this at every service only to be told it operates fine to the service manager..less than satisfactory.

I'll update once the ECU has been replaced as it's supposed to address a low fuel-pressure issue that may be the culprit.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. mandasol

mandasol United States Active Member

Had my car in for service today and the dealer also mentioned this. They have to order the ECU so I'll have to bring it back in a few days.

7. TwiceStung

Had mine done a week or two ago and no issues since, but I didn’t have any problems to start either.

?

Waiting on the fender fire recall to start. Just burns me up.

8. JP5

JP5 United States New Member

UPDATE: On completion of this TSB I noticed a slight improvement in drivability, but it's still not fueling cleanly. Does anyone else experience this?

9. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States 1000 Posts Club!

I was at the dealer today and they talked about the 2.0 ecu recall... Attributed it to cold start acceleration issues. Hope you all get it resolved.

10. MerlintheMad

What is a cold start acceleration issue? Is that when someone starts, takes off and expects to accelerate "spiritedly" without getting to operating temperatures first?

11. TwiceStung

Thanks. My dealer was very sketchy about why it needed a new ECU. Read.......they had no clue. I continue to let them (dealer) know that this apparent ignorance really reinforces the brand image.

12. TwiceStung

I’m betting Merlin that is has something to do with the fuel pump failures that have plagued certain vehicles. Hopefully I won’t need a new one in the Premium like I did the base. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Mike W.

Mike W. United States New Member

I just took my car in today for the wiring harness recall and I was told that the ECU needed replaced too. Really amount because I just purchased the car yesterday. I asked the salesman why the recalls weren't fixed before selling the car and he didn't have an answer. However, I got to free oil changes for my trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Same thing, I just didn't bother asking.......get the ecu when it comes in and then install the uncle chip, already replaced the stock oem plugs, all gapped way over .035......installed .024 hotter plug(s).......nothing but time.

15. MerlintheMad

I am going in Thursday for oil change and the wire harness/grommet recall. When he mentioned the trans logic recall, I said to the service tech, don't bother, I don't have any issues with my transmission; so that one is listed as "on hold" for my car, i.e. the record shows that the dealership has done their part, mentioning/offering it, but the customer/owner/me has said "no thanks", for now. I don't expect my trans to shift without some warming up "thump", when the weather is really cold like this. So I don't push the car till the engine temp is up all the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. rocket23

Sorry Merle I have to disagree with this one, 1st off ,it's a first run model, The car company just doen't throw out a service bulletin willy nilly....All the transmissions are built in the same plac using the same technicians and parts, If they say something is wrong then something is leaning towards probably wrong.........I wouldn't wait and see if the transmission arc angel passes over the transmission and states ''not this one god''.
    2nd and probably more important....never ,ever give a dealer a ''wait an see'' on a powertrain that is under warranty. imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MerlintheMad

It isn't that simple. Folks who have had this done have reported that Sport mode is limp afterward. I don't want any goon messing with my computer when the programming isn't causing any issues. I'll know soon enough if my trans programming is heading south; I have all the warning signs spelled out on this forum. And, I am very sensitive to changes in my machines. Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

One person has said this. Many others have said there was no change.

Again, please stay on topic. This thread is about ECU replacement, not the transmission updates.

19. rocket23

So Just so I'm not misunderstood or missed something, We have an ecu r/r and a few people maybe one, complains about an abnormal sport mode after the replacement...(in direct connection with a transmission logic ),that btw is also within the spectrum of the ecu, And we are off topic ? Sounds good to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

Sorry man. I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Draft saved Draft deleted