Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

*** RUMOUR *** Canada Free Map Updates Coming?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by SteveCo, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Alphazone

Alphazone Canada Newish Member

Trying to as of this moment, the install on the SD card is painfully slow.

2. G-475663

G-475663 Guest

I just got the email today, and am downloading the update now.

NOTE: I purchased my Stinger in April 2018.

3. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

The whole process is painfully slow. Mine is downloading now but I still need to grab my device ID number from in the car so I can activate the software.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SKStinger

I am going to use a different card so that I have a backup if something messes up.

5. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I don't think it's going to let you do that, as I believe the cards are locked to your hardware. You need to either order a new, pre-loaded SD card keyed to your vehicle (at a surcharge) or rewrite the card currently in your HU.

If you're still wary, you can always copy off the current contents to a folder on your PC, before you rewrite it with the latest software.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Madhermit

Madhermit Canada Member

I tried that with my Genesis. Didn’t work. Had IT guys cloning, spoofing, everything to keep a backup. The car only loads the maps from the serial # of the SD card it is registered to. Software works, but it will say no maps even though the data is there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Madhermit

Madhermit Canada Member

Weird. I have a 2020 Stinger and it says my VIN isn't eligible. Text right above it says all 2020 Kias are.

Through Kia Navi, all eligible owners of 2020 Kia models* qualify for two navigation updates annually, for up to 10 years after purchase of their vehicle
    If you do not own an eligible model and would like to purchase a navigation update, please click here.

* 2018 & 2019 Stinger included. Vehicles must be equipped with integrated navigation

8. SteveCo

What map version do you have now? Is it already up to date?

This latest 'free' 13.5 update (from 12.5) went fine for me, other than it still being a very slow and convoluted process - but I can live with that every few months, for free updates. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Madhermit

Madhermit Canada Member

I do have the latest. Maybe you are right, that is why. They should probably have a different message for that situation, like "You should already have the latest version XX.X" or the like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Do you already have the latest version perhaps? Otherwise, if us older year owners are getting it, you should, too.

11. Gtecko

Gtecko Canada Active Member

anyone was able to download this overnight lol

12. SKStinger

Mine took forever and this morning it finished copying to the SD Card (I used the one from the car as recommended above) and now I'm stuck at the Activation screen because it tells me it can't be authenticated. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't done any digging yet but will look at it tonight.

13. SteveCo

It is a convoluted process, and not especially well spelled out that the application expects the authorization code to already have been issued. Leave the application open at the activation screen, and log in to your account at

MnSoft | KIA Map Update (CAN)

You can generate the authorization code for your latest map update from there. Once that is done done and you see the code on the 'My Orders' page, you should be able to proceed and authorize it in the application (it checks back with the server, no need to type it in).

The initial download is about 19GB and can be very slow, depending on the speed of the internet connection. On a 25Mb/sec connection it took the better part of 3 hours for mine - this is when I wish they had fiber optic in my older neighborhood. The update of the SD card is another slow process, followed by another 30 minutes or so in the car to apply the update.

In the end, it's worth it - good luck! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

It is definitely an overly-convoluted process. Designed initially to ensure people didn't steal map updates. Redundant now that they are free, but the KIA (or MnSMap) IT department didn't get the message. The UVO operating system/UI updates should have never been bundled with the maps in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lun471k

lun471k Canada Member

Well, 19Gb with a 25mbps connection *in a perfect setting* takes 1h48m48s, so considering there's probably other devices using your connection during this time (and your neighborhood could also affect your download speed depending on the time of the day), it's a sensible time :).

Just got the email. I'll update mine this weekend.

16. Sushi

Sushi Canada Member

I just bought my 2019 Stinger last month and apparently my VIN isn't eligible for this free upgrade either. I don't know what map version I'm on or how to check so maybe it's already up to date.

17. Madhermit

Madhermit Canada Member

Probably the same thing as me. You likely have the latest version. Check in your system settings. Latest is 13.5 I think.

18. Kwood

Kwood Canada Newish Member

Bought my '19 last month, VIN worked, build date of the Stinger was May 2019. It's true, it's quite the process, but it is all installed now, and working. I didn't get an email, just used the link provided in this thread.

19. Sushi

Sushi Canada Member

That's quite odd since our cars seem very similar in build date and purchase date but it didn't work for me. I'll have to check my map version.

Draft saved Draft deleted