Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

PS573: Sound Settings (Fader) Moves To Rear

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by tekie99, Aug 13, 2018.

1. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I got a new one. I asked specifically to take a look at it before leaving the car to get the repair done. That's why I took photos and posted here.

2. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

I don’t get the hate for a refurb in this situation. The car has been out for 8 months, and as far as I know doesn’t share the headunit with another car. The cars effected are all early production runs. So they are swapping a used HU for a used HU. And quite possibly your getting a newer unit than what you have. (This is assuming you even get a refurb, and they don’t send a new one because they don’t have any refurbs yet.)

And remember it’s just the radio buttons being swapped not the screen.

3. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

Because it means something went wrong with the refurbished version and does that mean something else will go wrong? I’ll take a new one.

4. nelson

nelson Canada New Member

Sucks but at least its covered, what a mess. I will say though Im not impressed with all that stuff sitting on the seats with no kind of protection from the seats getting damaged !

5. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

I went to the dealership today, but they can't do any work on the car. The dealership that I bought the car from haven't finalized my paperwork so as of right now, Kia still thinks they own the car. Contacted the dealership I bought the car from and said that the paperwork should be done any day now, latest would be Monday. I'll check on Monday then go from there. At least the dealership that I went to had donuts in the waiting area, so I was able to get some as a consolation price hahaha.

6. DaJackson

Weird, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a service department not being able to work on the car because it was bought too recently.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Btw people, what can you say about overall sound quality on HK? For me it seem like there're lot of high freq in the sound, I have my HI freq settings near as -7 atm and still it's kinda "not enough" but making it lower makes it worse. Equalizer has just 3 bands, unfortunately :( Usually play 80's rock/metal hits or just 80's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Active Member

So bright even my teenagers say it hurts their ears. And.not just because of my choice of music. And, I don't think the volume ever goes above 7 or 8 if other people are in the car. Too much to take.

I am much pickier than the typical customer (audio snob with tube home system, etc.) but the system is typical for today car audio. Mediocre quality biased toward treble so you can still hear some of the subtleties over the road noise. But until going quite fast on the highway, my Stinger is quiet enough they could have gone with a more neutral system. But so could 90% of the other manufacturers.

9. DaJackson

Let’s please keep this conversation to the TSB, especially in this section of the forum.

There are a number of threads on the sound system this can be discussed or feel free to start a new thread in the correct sub forum.

10. Marc Collins

Feel free to delete my reply or move it. Sorry, wasn't paying attention to which thread this was (on phone).

11. DaJackson

No worries, just a reminder.

12. sk1p

sk1p United States Member

Is this issue also happening for the GT trim (the one without harman kardon)?

13. MattRain

MattRain United States Member

I had it happening to my GT from day 1. Had it replaced, and haven't had an issue since.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BrandonH

BrandonH United States Newish Member

This is a weird one to me, it must be a hardware issue and not a software issue otherwise I cannot understand why they would replace the whole head unit. Clearly the software can be updated without doing that. My car was built in 12/17 but I have never experienced this issue. But because it was built so early I just asked them to send me an updated maps free of charge to get to the current version when purchased. They delayed sending me the map update by a couple weeks because another new update was coming out and I just received it yesterday and performed the update. Here is a screenshot of my versions before and after the update. All of the software versions are newer now,not just the map version.

IMG_5331.jpg

15. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Any Canadian Stinger owners have success in getting the sound fade issue resolved? Both my dealer and Kia Canada are giving me the run around

16. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

If whole unit replaced, why Device ID is the same? Strange...

17. SilverNitr8

He did not replace the head unit. Just did the software update. He said his did not have the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrandonH

BrandonH United States Newish Member

That's correct, I was just posting that I don't understand why they are replacing head units when it appears the SD card map update can update all the software on the head unit. It would be interesting if someone that had this problem updated their maps to the latest release and see if it fixed the problem or not without having to swap out the head unit.

19. SilverNitr8

I think they try the software update first then change the radio if it doesnt fix it.

20. Marc Collins

Who has experienced that? KIA only authorized the head unit replacements after the new software was developed. The problem with the fader was reported about two days after the first Stinger hit the streets The only excuse for taking so long (almost a year) to fix the problem is because they were (presumably) trying every option related to a software update to fix the problem and failed.

If the new v12.5 software does fix the fader issue, then whichever KIA engineers/department organized the head unit replacement scheme should all be fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted