kia stinger store

PS573: Sound Settings (Fader) Moves To Rear

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
They have to replace the entire head unit to update the software? What should be a 10 minute fox will become a multi-day ordeal.

RLam

Colorado
They have to replace the entire head unit to update the software? What should be a 10 minute fox will become a multi-day ordeal.

Seriously. This should be a software flash. Probably one that even the end user could do via USB flash drive. I know Ford's newer SYNC systems are that way....

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
I just came back form picking up my Stinger from the dealer after they performed the PS573 (this is the official pit stop bulletin released by KIA to address the issue), which involves a head unit replacement to fix the issue with the fader moving to rear speakers randomly. No software update for the infotainment system without replacing the whole head unit.

I would also like to thank my service adviser, Sebastian Flores, who was very accommodating during this process, he even took some photos of the install so I can post it here for you guys. Also thanks to Rick Hall (sales manager at Westside Kia) for making the process a breeze and providing a loaner vehicle (Sorento).

The head unit replacement takes a few hours perform, so you will definitely need to drop it off and pick it up later that day or the following one.

Here you can see the that the replacement unit is a brand new unit and not a refurbished one. It also came with an updated navigation map sd card

Here are few photos, courtesy of service adviser, Sebastian Flores at Westside Kia.

Here you can see that almost the whole front of the dash has to be removed in order to gain access to the head unit.

On these next two photos you can see the new head unit being installed

A bonus that I was not expecting is that the new head unit came with an updated Nav map SD card.
NOTE: I had not updated my NAV via the courtesy update offered by Kia. I had the version that came with the car when I first bought it.

Previous version

New version after head unit swap

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Man it sucks that they had to do that much disassembly to fix it.

They may have significantly increased your chance of experiencing some creaks and rattles.

JAYP

Texas Stinger Swarm
SW Houston
I just came back form picking up my Stinger from the dealer after they performed the PS573 (this is the official pit stop bulletin released by KIA to address the issue), which involves a head unit replacement to fix the issue with the fader moving to rear speakers randomly. No software update for the infotainment system without replacing the whole head unit.

I would also like to thank my service adviser, Sebastian Flores, who was very accommodating during this process, he even took some photos of the install so I can post it here for you guys. Also thanks to Rick Hall (sales manager at Westside Kia) for making the process a breeze and providing a loaner vehicle (Sorento).

The head unit replacement takes a few hours perform, so you will definitely need to drop it off and pick it up later that day or the following one.

Here you can see the that the replacement unit is a brand new unit and not a refurbished one. It also came with an updated navigation map sd card

Here are few photos, courtesy of service adviser, Sebastian Flores at Westside Kia.

Here you can see that almost the whole front of the dash has to be removed in order to gain access to the head unit.

On these next two photos you can see the new head unit being installed

A bonus that I was not expecting is that the new head unit came with an updated Nav map SD card.
NOTE: I had not updated my NAV via the courtesy update offered by Kia. I had the version that came with the car when I first bought it.

Previous version

New version after head unit swap

Rob where do I look to see what Nav. version I have a if I can get a upgraded SD card?

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Man it sucks that they had to do that much disassembly to fix it.

They may have significantly increased your chance of experiencing some creaks and rattles.

Honestly, if it is a one time thing I don't think it will increase it at all. Also keep in mind that these plastic are still brand new therefore they are still flexible. We are not dealing with 5 or 10 year old plastics.

Marc Collins

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
I can see only one upside to this mess. An opportunity to replace the console with the covered cup holder version for those who prefer it, since it appears the whole middle of the car has to come apart.

What kind of audio system isn't flash updatable for these sorts of things? And assuming there is in fact some good KIA-specific reason for that, proper testing should have picked-up the problem before committing to thousands of these defective units. It was discovered in the wild immediately.

Someone on here now has the same problem with the audio in their new Sorento. What a nightmare of incompetence.

tofu

Ontario, Canada
What kind of audio system isn't flash updatable for these sorts of things? And assuming there is in fact some good KIA-specific reason for that, proper testing should have picked-up the problem before committing to thousands of these defective units. It was discovered in the wild immediately.

Software is hard.

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
@Marc Collins I would hardly call it incompetence. As @tofu mentioned coding software is no easy task. There are hundreds of thousands of line of code written into the infotainment interface and issues like these are hardly identified when compiling the code, as the scenario under this issues happens is very specific. This can happen to any manufacturer and I am sure it has, maybe not this specific issue, but something software related.

I am glad Kia reacted in time and found a solution for all those affect by the problem.

Johnny B

I am with Marc on this one. I am the the one with the 2019 Sorento with this issue. I have owned several Sorento's before this one with out issue. New models should provide improvement over a previous one. Having both my Stinger and Sorento with this same problem and Kia Canada not recognizing this issue is unacceptable. If and when Kia Canada decides to issue a fix for this, I don't like the idea of having my entire dash and console taken apart on two new vehicles.

Marc Collins

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
@Marc Collins I would hardly call it incompetence. As @tofu mentioned coding software is no easy task. There are hundreds of thousands of line of code written into the infotainment interface and issues like these are hardly identified when compiling the code, as the scenario under this issues happens is very specific. This can happen to any manufacturer and I am sure it has, maybe not this specific issue, but something software related.

I am glad Kia reacted in time and found a solution for all those affect by the problem.

Who said software isn't hard?--I am well aware that it is.

Problems with infotainment systems and nav are rife in the industry and have caused very serious pain for many manufacturers. I would not be surprised that it took a few months to resolve coding issues for a problem like this one. It's been many more months and we are now told that only a very messy and expensive hardware change is required to fix something that in every other car would only require a software update.

The issue is the requirement for new hardware, not that software is complex. It's basically unheard of...unless people here can tell us of some other examples. Until I see some, or even one, I will not change my view that this situation is bordering on absurd.

And to be clear, the incompetence is designing a system that requires a hardware change for such a straightforward electronics issue. The audio system physically works, it just gets confused once in a while due to fancy electronic features (phone use or volume muting). When does that ever require replacing the hardware?

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
I’d be more concerned that the mechanics (in the pics) just put all the tools and bits and pieces on the leather seats without putting anything down on the seat first to protect it. I mean most service centres put paper seat covers on the seat and floor when they drive it so as not to make the car dirty but then just throw the drills etc on the passenger seat. Not good to go in for an electrical issue and potentially come away with scratches to the leather.

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Agreed @Coast GT
In my case there was no damage inflicted to any of the interior parts. I did bring that up when they showed me the photos.
I am extremely OCD with my cars and the first thing I do after getting service done is check mileage, walk around the car checking for scratches or damage and check the interior front and back. If everything checks good, I then drive off the premises.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
When I took my car in to have them look at the fading issue, the first thing they when I handed over the car was pull off large sheets of plastic from a roll they keep in the drive-through service 'booking' bay, and cover up the seats. I was impressed with that. :thumbup:

Mhol

New Jersey
I asked my dealer about the warning and they said they did not see one. I have been having the fade issue since I bought the car.

Black Magix

St. Louis
Asked my buddy in the Parts department and he found the original bulletin but that's it. For me, it only happens on phone calls. After I hangup, the sound won't return to normal in the front of the car.

However, I'm curious if the update feature for UVO fixes it.

MarkGT

My system moves to the front not to the rear. Has anyone else had it move randomly to the front? Also, do you think PS573 would fix that problem also?

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
When we got our Volvo S60, I had to take it it multiple times for the heavy bass which rattled the drivers door. Also the head unit had an issue where the treble wouldn’t change up or down with the tone button but it would slightly change with the equalizer. It took about 5 visits and then I got a loaner with a similar HK system which I had the tech listen to and he noticed the difference at that time. We came up with a plan to swap the amplifier from the loaner as a test and it worked. Ended up getting a new amp and a software patch to control the bass as all the changes they made, didn’t help. It neutered the system but I got it to sound better with tweaking the equalizer.

What I learned during this process is that the head unit was pretty much a controller and the rest of the system was in an amp mounted under the passenger seat. I think the another European brands do something similar as well, which in my opinion is a good thing. Keep the main system under the seat or under the carpeting in the trunk and have the buttons/controls just be a faceplate. That way you don’t have to go through a dash tear down to get the “head” unit out. One day they will figure it out and go that route.