Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

PS573: Sound Settings (Fader) Moves To Rear

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by tekie99, Aug 13, 2018.

1. tekie99

tekie99 United States Newish Member

IMG_2657.PNG

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

They have to replace the entire head unit to update the software? What should be a 10 minute fox will become a multi-day ordeal.

3. RLam

RLam United States Member

Seriously. This should be a software flash. Probably one that even the end user could do via USB flash drive. I know Ford's newer SYNC systems are that way....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. niko

niko United States Stinger Enthusiast

mine does the same once in awhile. i notice when it changes and switch it back. gets annoying after awhile

5. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Man it sucks that they had to do that much disassembly to fix it.

They may have significantly increased your chance of experiencing some creaks and rattles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. JAYP

JAYP United States Member Texas Stinger Swarm

Rob where do I look to see what Nav. version I have a if I can get a upgraded SD card?

8. robz32

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I can see only one upside to this mess. An opportunity to replace the console with the covered cup holder version for those who prefer it, since it appears the whole middle of the car has to come apart.

What kind of audio system isn't flash updatable for these sorts of things? And assuming there is in fact some good KIA-specific reason for that, proper testing should have picked-up the problem before committing to thousands of these defective units. It was discovered in the wild immediately.

Someone on here now has the same problem with the audio in their new Sorento. What a nightmare of incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tofu

tofu Canada Active Member

Software is hard.

11. robz32

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

I am with Marc on this one. I am the the one with the 2019 Sorento with this issue. I have owned several Sorento's before this one with out issue. New models should provide improvement over a previous one. Having both my Stinger and Sorento with this same problem and Kia Canada not recognizing this issue is unacceptable. If and when Kia Canada decides to issue a fix for this, I don't like the idea of having my entire dash and console taken apart on two new vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Who said software isn't hard?--I am well aware that it is.

Problems with infotainment systems and nav are rife in the industry and have caused very serious pain for many manufacturers. I would not be surprised that it took a few months to resolve coding issues for a problem like this one. It's been many more months and we are now told that only a very messy and expensive hardware change is required to fix something that in every other car would only require a software update.

The issue is the requirement for new hardware, not that software is complex. It's basically unheard of...unless people here can tell us of some other examples. Until I see some, or even one, I will not change my view that this situation is bordering on absurd.

And to be clear, the incompetence is designing a system that requires a hardware change for such a straightforward electronics issue. The audio system physically works, it just gets confused once in a while due to fancy electronic features (phone use or volume muting). When does that ever require replacing the hardware?

14. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

I’d be more concerned that the mechanics (in the pics) just put all the tools and bits and pieces on the leather seats without putting anything down on the seat first to protect it. I mean most service centres put paper seat covers on the seat and floor when they drive it so as not to make the car dirty but then just throw the drills etc on the passenger seat. Not good to go in for an electrical issue and potentially come away with scratches to the leather.

• Agree Agree x 10
  15. robz32

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

When I took my car in to have them look at the fading issue, the first thing they when I handed over the car was pull off large sheets of plastic from a roll they keep in the drive-through service 'booking' bay, and cover up the seats. I was impressed with that. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mhol

Mhol United States Member

I asked my dealer about the warning and they said they did not see one. I have been having the fade issue since I bought the car.

18. Black Magix

Black Magix United States Member

Asked my buddy in the Parts department and he found the original bulletin but that's it. For me, it only happens on phone calls. After I hangup, the sound won't return to normal in the front of the car.

However, I'm curious if the update feature for UVO fixes it.

19. MarkGT

MarkGT United States New Member

My system moves to the front not to the rear. Has anyone else had it move randomly to the front? Also, do you think PS573 would fix that problem also?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

When we got our Volvo S60, I had to take it it multiple times for the heavy bass which rattled the drivers door. Also the head unit had an issue where the treble wouldn’t change up or down with the tone button but it would slightly change with the equalizer. It took about 5 visits and then I got a loaner with a similar HK system which I had the tech listen to and he noticed the difference at that time. We came up with a plan to swap the amplifier from the loaner as a test and it worked. Ended up getting a new amp and a software patch to control the bass as all the changes they made, didn’t help. It neutered the system but I got it to sound better with tweaking the equalizer.

What I learned during this process is that the head unit was pretty much a controller and the rest of the system was in an amp mounted under the passenger seat. I think the another European brands do something similar as well, which in my opinion is a good thing. Keep the main system under the seat or under the carpeting in the trunk and have the buttons/controls just be a faceplate. That way you don’t have to go through a dash tear down to get the “head” unit out. One day they will figure it out and go that route.

Draft saved Draft deleted