kia stinger store

Poll: Who is having issues with Spark Plugs?

Is your Stinger having problems with spark plugs?

• Yes, and I have a high performance tune.

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Yes, and I don't have a high performance tune.

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • No, and I do have a high performance tune.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • No, and I don't have a high performance tune.

Votes: 105 62.5%
  • I have a 2.0T

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I have a 3.3TT

Votes: 116 69.0%

• Total voters

RogueIV

Update on this: Cylinder 6 blew a plug now, so the blown plug "followed" the coil. My local Kia dealership still refuses to replace the coil, argued with the service manager for awhile. He claims if they don't have a code and if the coil "tests fine" Kia Motors America won't allow them to replace it. Seems like nonsense to me, so now have to go back and complain to corporate. Not sure if its the Dealership or Kia Motors dropping the ball here but its a bit ridiculous.

At this point planning on just fighting for them to reimburse the cost of me replacing the coil as continuing to leave my car for days at the dealership so they can do a 5 minute spark plug replacement is pointless.
Sounds like it's time to find a different dealer, definitely chase this up with corporate, this is unacceptable.

christhesip

Newish Member
Update on this: Cylinder 6 blew a plug now, so the blown plug "followed" the coil. My local Kia dealership still refuses to replace the coil, argued with the service manager for awhile. He claims if they don't have a code and if the coil "tests fine" Kia Motors America won't allow them to replace it. Seems like nonsense to me, so now have to go back and complain to corporate. Not sure if its the Dealership or Kia Motors dropping the ball here but its a bit ridiculous.

At this point planning on just fighting for them to reimburse the cost of me replacing the coil as continuing to leave my car for days at the dealership so they can do a 5 minute spark plug replacement is pointless.
Hopefully final update for my issue:

After another spark plug failure the Dealer finally replaced all of the coils and plugs. After some more back and forth with the service manager It seems like they never actually contacted the Kia Tech line until my most recent visit (5th time) which they were supposed to have done the second time I came in. So if anyone else has this problem make sure the dealer is actually doing their job.

Should be good now and hopefully I never have to go back for any more warranty work.

Clockwork

What a sh*t show.

Crisis

Saskatoon, SK
Hi all. I haven't read through all 8 pages, so not sure if this issue had arisen before. Here's the background:
  • My 2018 Stinger has approx 50,000 miles on it
  • 2 years ago at 15,000 miles I installed a Racechip and changed the plugs to Denso IKH24s gapped at .024
  • Last fall noticed some very infrequent missing under medium-hard acceleration at about 4K rpm. Would only occur every few weeks.
  • Removed Racechip for the winter and haven't yet reinstalled it. Noticed a miss under the same conditions 2 or 3 times in 6 months
  • 2 days ago, I noticed a miss, got a CEL and a P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected.
  • Booked into the dealer, assuming a bad coil pack
  • Just got a call from the dealer saying that the plugs need to be replaced. Technically, these are not covered under warranty at this point but I have a good relationship with the dealership, so they're going to see what they can do.
Curious to see if they actually pulled the plug(s) and how this may play out. Nothing was mentioned about the plugs not being the factory plugs.

Surprising to me that colder-gapped aftermarket plugs would have an issue after 35,000 miles. Thoughts?

monusa

Stinger Enthusiast
Surprising to me that colder-gapped aftermarket plugs would have an issue after 35,000 miles
if you had the Racechip installed for most of that mileage, then you actually got a little more than most. Unfortunately, those plugs don't last as long as the stock ones. You should probably pull one about every 5K miles and confirm gap hasn't "floated" on you. If you get between 10 - 20K out of them under those conditions, consider yourself lucky but check on them regularly.

Not saying you can't but have not heard anyone here who has gotten 30K or more out of them.

Crisis

Saskatoon, SK
^^^ Thanks for that info. Lots of talk about the need to change plugs when tuned but hadn't recalled anything on decreased plug life.

monusa

Stinger Enthusiast
^^^ Thanks for that info. Lots of talk about the need to change plugs when tuned but hadn't recalled anything on decreased plug life.
Not necessarily reduced plug life. They do as advertised but under the additional stress conditions of a tune (even mild one), they have shortened life span. Stock plugs will claim 100K but I would never trust it.