Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Oil Catch Can?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Eugene Onegin, Feb 27, 2018.

1. BSTUNG

BSTUNG United States Newish Member

Great job GBT I have ADD 1 3 port. It has 1 inlet and 2 outlets, do I tie the inlets together?

2. GTB

GTB United States Active Member

I guess you could. But that’s a lot of vacuum needed so efficiency may very

3. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Installed one on my pax side using a 2in L bracket from him Depot. Had to enlarge the pre drilled holes in the bracket and use a few hose reducers/elbows to make it all for nice without any kinks or bends in the hose. Working on a mount location for the driver side. Still have stock airbox so space is limited over there.

4. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

My previous post showed where I located two oil catch cans, because, realistically, there is no other place to park them without rearranging the engine's plumbing, as @GTB did.
    After all, these cans need to be serviced/emptied from time to time.

After GTB pointed out a possible secondary connection, I re-arranged the hoses as shown in the attached pics. The can closest to the firewall is servicing the secondary connection, and I used 5/8" hose for that.
    The can in front is servicing the passenger side of the engine.

You can follow the applied tape and arrows how the connections were made.
    For the cans, the left port is the out to the engine and the right port is the line from the engine.

Since installation, I have driven 230 km on highways and checked the cans today.
    The first can (the one on the left) had maybe 1/8" (2-3 mm) on the bottom, the second can (on the right) was empty.

P1000928.JPG

P1000929.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mach_Tuck

Damn...nice hose routing. Hadnt really considered that method.

For the pax side (forward can) how did you go back into the manifold? I had a hell of a time trying to get the hose not to kink and ended up using a 90 degree elbow. just curious.

Now i have to open this back up and see about routing around the back side as i initially bought two cans as well.

6. moinmoin

You may be aware of my other thread:

How to Install Oil Catch Cans

where I am showing this picture:

[​IMG]

This is when we assumed that there is only one PCV related hose. I drove some 5000 km with this set-up, then @GTB suggested, we should look a little closer.

No 90 degr. elbows were used, and you are looking at 2 cans connected in line. The ports next to the word "OIL" on top of the cans were then the "OUT" ports,
    the ports next to the word "CAN" were the "INCOMING" ports in this set-up.

I did the fabricating, and with the cans mounted to the bracket, went to my mechanic who cut two pieces of 3/8" hose and made the connections.

In this version, a switched the port designations - IN became "OUT" and OUT became "IN".

Here is the reason why I did that:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the originally designated "IN" port has a baffle that can be unscrewed.
    I thought it would be more effective if I make this the OUT port in the next iteration and add filter material to the baffle.
    That way the "gunk" stays in the can before the fumes are sent out to the engine.

In this, the final version (hopefully), the hose connecting the then OUT port on the passenger can to the IN port on the (future) driver's can
    was removed and the hose on the OUT port of the driver's can was moved to the to the passenger can and the insulated OEM hose played musical chairs
    and moved one over on the same can.

My apologies if it sounds a bit confusing. But I did not only change the cans set-up but also the ports at the same time.

I then asked my mechanic to cut into the second PCV on top of the engine, and to make it work, he used 5/8" hose.

We had previously discussed to run the new hoses near the firewall, otherwise, it would interfere with the plastic engine cover.
    And that's what he did. :)

If you need to know anything else, just ask.

7. Mach_Tuck

Thanks, all makes sense to me. Just couldnt see the hose entering the manifold on the pax side.

interesting on the swap of the inlet vs outlet. I am using the ADD W1 V3 can and that one has a rather more involved "baffle" system then what you have shown above. Time will tell on how well it catches stuff. I have read on multiple other sites about people adding material, steel wool, filter material, etc, to the cans to increase efficiency. I would be most curious to hear how that goes for you in the future.

Any chance you can highlight where the cut in occured? I think that GTB tapped into the line on the front of the engine where there is a pre-existing connection.

8. moinmoin

At the picture below, go to the bottom edge, see the yellow line across the pipe:
    GTB cut in below that yellow marker,

I cut into the same line at the yellow engine lifting ring (clamp, green tape, the arrow pointing down).
    The second connection can be seen when you look up a little, veering to the left, just under the wrapped electrical loom (green tape, arrow also pointing down, making a large turn back to the firewall).
    You see it in the center of the picture.
    These two points are similarly connected as the connection utilized by GTB below. You have to remove a small piece of rubber hose, about 5 - 6")

I am going to make another change - exchange some of the 5/8" hose to 3/8", for this to happen I ordered 5/8 to 3/8" barbed hose reducing connectors from China.
    You need the 5/8 hose piece to attach to the pipe, then reduce the diameter to 3/8 and run to the can.
    All this to collect as much gunk as possible.

[​IMG]

9. Daniel M

Daniel M United States Newish Member

Are you using the newer version, 1 Can set up or as the other owner has, the 2 can set up? I just bought the newest version 1 can set up for both turbos but having a hard time with the set up.

10. Mach_Tuck

No, i have two cans. The newest can has a dual inlet which is what i believe you have purchased. With that setup, you would need to "block" one of the inlets back to the engine is my thought.

I am still contemplating adding the second can to the driver side manifold. Seems to me that a majority of the "crud" would come from the PCV.

11. Daniel M

I had the newer version 3.3 however the instruction for that are for an Optima not a Stinger. No one not even AddW1 can tell me how to install. Its all trial and error until someone figures it out. I have been told by a car guy don't plug anything that is dangerous. I don't work like that, so I am returning mine and I just ordered the 2 can set up.

So you are going to add a 3rd can?

12. Mach_Tuck

Oh no, i am only running one can on PCV right now. Got the second can for wife's sorrento but may just install that one too on to the breather side in the stinger.

13. Daniel M

Yeah I think driver side gets fouled up faster than passenger side but I dont know for sure. Have you checked it to see what you are getting in it?

14. Daniel M

Here's the thing ADDW1, has the 3 port- 2 Inlet, 1 Outlet one can version for the 3.3 turbo. The ADDW1 version is also 3.3. So on the ADDW1 v 3.3 there is no one that has shown an install. The instructions that come with the kit instruct you on installing it on an Optima not a Stinger. Please know when you order this that is the case. The instructions that come with this state to "Plug the PCV hose coming off the valve cover".

I believe the instructions are misleading and could cause an incorrect set up for our Stingers. I don't believe we should be plugging anything, again my opinion on that. I would advise do not follow the instructions, they are not for Stingers.

Honestly from what I am reading and what GTB has done, I feel at this point the 2 can set up is optimal. Now I know that the 3.3 ADDW1 is new and maybe a more effective way of a OCC set up.

HOWEVER ADDW1, who I have had contact with does NOT know how to set it up for the Stinger and says they are working on getting install instructions for it. Not sure when thaty will be but I believe (in my opinion) that they will come to find that "plugging" a hose is not optimal for our engine.

In my personal opinion the 2 can set up seems the most effective way at this point.

I would like to give a personal shout out to David at K8stinger. He is awesome. Although we might not agree on things he is probably the best customer service person I have ever dealt with. He has both versions of the set up and would highly encourage you to visit his store and buy from him. Its up to you which one you want. I just felt it was my duty to inform everyone about the my findings.

• Like Like x 3
  15. jaccfrost

jaccfrost United States Member

...well said

16. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

Long day of wheeling and dealing- Help me out- On my Mopars, Billet Tech was the crim dela crim of the catch cans..... Whats the stinger equivalent to Billet Tech? Need to get one ordered ASAP!

Actually, can I modify this can to fit on the KIA? (has non-monatary value) Any tips?

Going to pick up my GT2 tomorrow!

Attached Files:

17. Onno P

Onno P Netherlands Member

Capping hoses while not being sure what they normally do, sounds like a very silly thing to do and prone to ‘some’ failure of ‘something’ that can result in ‘reasonable’ attacks on your wallet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Daniel M

Completely agree. I sent the version 3.3 back and ordered the version 3, 2 can set up. Until ADDW1 can show a way to connect this system up, I will not be using this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Stinger Enthusiast Authorized Vendor

We are currently waiting for official installation instructions from Add W1 to make it easy for those not experienced in installing an OCC in their Stinger.

That being said customer should not be capping random ports with the plug and the 3.3 Add W1 can has worked on many Stinger owners vehicles. Again what we are trying to have done is a DIY or write up for the Stinger for those that do not know what they are doing or how to install it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Stinger Enthusiast Authorized Vendor

I need to check but instructions for the Optima should not be included in the 3.3 version of the kit for the Stinger. I'll have this corrected so there isnt any confusion in the future!

Thank you for your feedback on this matter, sometimes manufacturers arent as quick as other to get instructions out there for the novice enthusiasts. I apologize for the delay on it and we hope to have something soon for everyone to follow!

Draft saved Draft deleted