Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Oil Catch Can?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Eugene Onegin, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Eugene Onegin

Eugene Onegin United States Active Member

Will anybody put one on their car ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. stingeradmr

stingeradmr United States Member

I just received mine, haven't installed yet

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnnyfive

Johnnyfive United States Active Member

Pictures required when you do! I intend to install eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

Once there are quality mounts and I have a discussion with my Kia tech, I'll make a decision.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PA_RN

PA_RN United States Member

Waiting for catch can w/mount kit. Then I’ll definitely will have one. There’s a couple under development but I think they’re a month or two out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

We just came out with out new bracket for the 2016+ Optima for the Add W1 cans! STINGER IS NEXT :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. StingerGTandMe

StingerGTandMe United States Active Member Sustaining Member

I really want to because blow by can be and engine killer. Can cause the engine to knock. If its a lot of blow by.

9. Andyb

Andyb Singapore Newish Member

Want to put one on as well..Kia Dealer mechanic says not necessary, as only high performance /modified cars benefit, KIA Stinger 3.3 tt isn't high performance????? I think they need to get use to the idea that they now sell nad need to service a high performance car ..not just city runarounds! that said if we listen to all the manufacture's that state leave original OCC not required we wouldn't have every direct injected car over 6 years old with fowling issues would we? So for my money better safe than sorry. need instructions as every klm we wait we are adding another layer of carbon on the valves.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stingeradmr

I bought the 2 port one and waiting for instructions from K8 Stinger store

11. Andyb

Andyb Singapore Newish Member

I thought K8 store mentioned a 3 port for the 3.3 tt but if you have 2.0t maybe 2 port enough..could be wrong though. Waiting for someone to confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stingeradmr

meant 3 port

13. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Ask him how long hes been working on GDI engines, I would look to find a new tech as I can provide him with 1000s of customer photos of the moisture, oil, and other contaminants they have collected over the years we have been selling these for 1.6T, 2.0T, and 2.4L Kia and Hyundai engines. I can't imagine the 3.3T is any different

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Yeah you can use the 2 port for the 2.0T for both intake and pcv side. I think the 2 inlet just works for just one side on the 3.3T, will confirm

15. StingerGTandMe

StingerGTandMe United States Active Member Sustaining Member

The new 3.3 has 2 ports to handle both turbos. As far as I was told you need one per side but this can is designed to handle both with one can. I'm still new to the twin turbo setups myself

16. Derek Duson

Derek Duson United States Active Member

Waiting on this.

17. Slim

Slim Canada Newish Member

Waiting as well. Hopefully soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

Will the OCC bracket you've developed work with 2.0 applications?

19. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

This is how the oil catch cans are mounted in my 3.3. Stinger:

I bought two OCC on spec in December, because I presumed two were needed, one for each side.

Shortly after delivery of the car, I took it to my mechanic and asked him whether he was prepared to mount the cans.

He checked out the engine and declared, that the can(s) should go on the passenger side, because that’s where the PCV connection is located. According to him, there is only one PCV hose and connection on the engine.

I then took a piece of 2” x 2”“ aluminum angle (2” X 2 ½” or 2” X 3” would have been better, but that’s all I had handy) and cut three slots wide and deep enough to accommodate 3 plastic pins that hold a rubber seal for the hood in that part of the engine bay. This enabled me to slide the aluminum angle between the black plastic and rubber seal until it made contact.

Following that, I marked a location for four #10 1” screws on the horizontal part of the alu angle but used only two when all was finally said & done.

I pulled the aluminum angle back out and mounted the cans, one would have done the trick, but I had two, to be connected in line. The cans were mounted on the aluminum angle with their top level or a bit lower than the hood’s rubber seal.

The whole contraption was then taken to my mechanic who used the connectors supplied with the cans but not the hose pieces. He used heavier 3/8” rubber Power Steering hose made by Continental to counteract the vacuum in the system. A thinner hose will collapse when the engine is running.

With all the heavy preparations already done before going to the shop, the install took at the most 20 minutes and was free of charge.

Total cost was about $60 for two cans including shipping.

Checking the dipstick in the cans after 6.000 km, indication is, there is about 1 ¼” of stuff in each of them. It smells like oil diluted with gasoline. I have not emptied it, because it’s too cold to work on the car.

It works. There you go!

Top View

upload_2018-3-21_15-4-6.png

Side View - The alu angle under the rubber seal, not quite flush on the vertical with the black plastic, because of the fasteners on the "inside"

upload_2018-3-21_15-4-48.png

Top View down the Firewall

upload_2018-3-21_15-5-57.png upload_2018-3-21_15-4-6.png upload_2018-3-21_15-4-48.png upload_2018-3-21_15-5-57.png

The Hose Material Used

upload_2018-3-21_15-8-32.png

There They Are!

upload_2018-3-21_15-10-50.png

One Of The Dipsticks - The Can is filled to the top indicator line = 1 ¼”

upload_2018-3-21_15-12-14.png

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Not sure but they should should fit, I'll have to see what the test fitters say about it since both engines take up different amounts of room in the engine bay.

Draft saved Draft deleted