kia stinger store

2.0T Increasing fuel consumption

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
So, update after 2.200 km with the new ECU. I've just been to the dealer for a follow-up and the data shows that the car has successfully made at least one regeneration since the ECU change. Before that, it had never made one without the error light coming on in the dashboard.
They recorded the data and sent it to KIA. They consider the regeneration problem solved but asked me to keep the car under observation.
While driving, I haven't noticed any other stuttering or interruptions, which had become very noticeable before the ECU change (while the car was attempting regeneration). Still, when the engine is cold there are still rpm variations but not nearly as bad as before (the video from my previous post). The KIA engineer mentioned that this cold start problem is still under revision at KIA and another future version of the software might make it even smoother. Don't know.

As for the fuel consumption from my ski trip, going there I drove pretty fast, with a lot of overtakes (many 80-130 accelerations) and 130-150km/h on the highway (about 50% of the way). The consumption was 9,3. My friend with a Golf MK6 GTI got a 9, under the same conditions.
Coming back there was heavier traffic so we were much more relaxed. Same speed on the highway but very few overtakes and overall speed was much lower. Consumption was 7,8 (the GTI got a 7,6). Overall it was 8,6. I am very satisfied with this.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 11.46.46.png

Kris M

Belgium
So, update after 2.200 km with the new ECU. I've just been to the dealer for a follow-up and the data shows that the car has successfully made at least one regeneration since the ECU change. Before that, it had never made one without the error light coming on in the dashboard.
They recorded the data and sent it to KIA. They consider the regeneration problem solved but asked me to keep the car under observation.
While driving, I haven't noticed any other stuttering or interruptions, which had become very noticeable before the ECU change (while the car was attempting regeneration). Still, when the engine is cold there are still rpm variations but not nearly as bad as before (the video from my previous post). The KIA engineer mentioned that this cold start problem is still under revision at KIA and another future version of the software might make it even smoother. Don't know.

As for the fuel consumption from my ski trip, going there I drove pretty fast, with a lot of overtakes (many 80-130 accelerations) and 130-150km/h on the highway (about 50% of the way). The consumption was 9,3. My friend with a Golf MK6 GTI got a 9, under the same conditions.
Coming back there was heavier traffic so we were much more relaxed. Same speed on the highway but very few overtakes and overall speed was much lower. Consumption was 7,8 (the GTI got a 7,6). Overall it was 8,6. I am very satisfied with this.

View attachment 54937
That is (perhaps temporarily) good news!
I can't wait to get this update because I really dislike the car at the moment because of this issue.
How many months is it gonna take...?

Kris M

Belgium
@Kris M could you to a little video when starting it up with a cold engine? I'm very curious to see different behaviours. So strange that the software can alter the way engine works so much.
I've had 3 cold starts the last 5 days but the weirdness didn't really occur.
You can see (and hear) it happening, but only a little bit, at 00:18 and 00:28 in the following recording:

Edit: just watched yours again, does look kinda similar.

Last edited:

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
Ok, clear now, thanks! Yes, this is what Kia says it's the "normal" behaviour of new cars at the moment. Even brand new, with 0 km.
Mine (produced in Sept 2018) didn't use to do this but I think they did some kind of software update last summer (when I reported the problems first time) and then started to behave like newer cars. In my case it slowly became worse and worse to the point where every time I would put it in D or R the revs would drop violently. Now, after 2 weeks with the new ECU, it does just like yours. A drop every once in a while.

The engineer explained that it is some kind of torque protection which kicks in and forces the revs to drop so the car is not too violent if you put it in D and immediately lift your foot off the brake. He said they've submitted reports from at least 3 customers who complained + one from their showroom car which is new and does the same. He said that Kia might come out with an update to make this thing smoother.

But, for now, let's hope that the regeneration problem was fixed and that they start sending ECUs to every dealer. My dealer has another customer (who is also a member here) who is waiting on an ECU but Kia will only send it if they consider that my case is closed. It looks like I was the proud kia guinea pig. And not even one "thanks". At least VW gave out a 70 EUR voucher (that I never used) when they f&*%ed us with the diesel regeneration software :))

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
Hi! It's all good! Almost 5000 km and no more regeneration troubles. Meaning the car is performing regeneration but I can't feel it anymore (no more stuttering) and the consumption si absolutely normal: 8,3-8,5 for extra-urban + highway driving. My driving style is a bit sporty so I think it could be even lower, especially using ECO. I never really use that.
The dealer here said that they expect an official service bulletin to come out in the next couple of weeks making this software available to everyone.

Only remaining problem is the cold start revs drop which is still there.

stingergpf

Hi @7Andrei7, i am writing from Poland with the same problem. Is there any chance You could get info on the software version from Your service? Maybe i could pass that information to my Authorized service station here to get some progress on the issue.

Stan

Interesting you are the only one having issues in our range of countries.
Had no problems with mine, neither the dealer mentioned any bulletins. Will wait to see what your dealer will post and will check again locally.
As for fuel consumption - was yours a AWD one? If yes, then 8.3-8.5 is quite lean, so doubt it will drop more than that.
Have noticed that in Smart mode in my case, fuel consumption is the lowest, compared to rest modes.

STINGERFIN

Newish Member
I know of few stinger owners in Finland and many of them are experiencing these issues with the car. For some they might not even realize the car is not behaving as it should. It's just not enjoyable for them but they might not think of nothing more. And the GPF warning they might accept that it happens every few thousand miles. Then there are those, especially with 3.3L who have already traded their car as dealer has been unable / unwilling to solve the issue. They understand the difference how the car should be and trade into something that behaves properly. They are quite often sad about having to let go of the Stinger.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
@Stan I know of one other person here in Bucharest with the same issue. He is waiting on the dealer now for the software. My car is RWD. AWD is not available here with the 2.0 engine.
@STINGERFIN I agree! It is very difficult to understand the behaviour especially if you never drove a car with a DPF/GPF before. I had a VW Passat with the famous dieselgate engine with a GPF. I learned everything there was to learn about regenerations then :)). I did not even know the Stinger had a GPF until I got the first dashboard error light.

stingergpf

@7Andrei7 - sorry to bother You again, but i have some questions after re-reading the topic,

Did they replace whole ECU Unit or just updated the software?
Is there a possibility that You could contact Your service and get the list of what was exactly done so we can show that to our services in Poland?
Would it be possible to get your VIN and Bucharest Service Name/Address that had fixed Your car (we could try to get informations and put some pressure on our dealers later on).

We are around 10 people here in Poland trying to unite now to get our cars finally fixed.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
Hi @7Andrei7, i am writing from Poland with the same problem. Is there any chance You could get info on the software version from Your service? Maybe i could pass that information to my Authorized service station here to get some progress on the issue.
Hi! I only now noticed your message. I'm sorry!
Yes, I mentioned I know someone who still has the same problem here in Bucharest and we are in contact. When I find out that they are calling him in I'll ask him to make a copy of the bulletin. I'm also curious if this will be just software or ECU replacement as in my case. I feel more and more that my car was the guinea pig.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
And to answer your last post:
Yes, whole ECU. I put a picture of the actual part they installed in a previous post.
That was the only thing they replaced. It took 20 min. But, as I know the ECU was specifically coded for my car at the factory because they took the SN of my previous ECU and sent it to KIA about a month before the new ECU came.
My VIN no is: KNAE351ABK6046847
The dealer is the official Kia Romania importer: MIT Motors International - Home

And just so you know, it took about 6 months from the moment I specifically explained the problem, with videos, and with my lawyer in the email exchange, to get the car finally fixed.
They first replaced spark plugs, then GPF temperature sensors and lastly the fuel injectors. Nothing fixed it. Only the new ECU.

marplu

And to answer your last post:
Yes, whole ECU. I put a picture of the actual part they installed in a previous post.
That was the only thing they replaced. It took 20 min. But, as I know the ECU was specifically coded for my car at the factory because they took the SN of my previous ECU and sent it to KIA about a month before the new ECU came.
My VIN no is: KNAE351ABK6046847
The dealer is the official Kia Romania importer: MIT Motors International

And just so you know, it took about 6 months from the moment I specifically explained the problem, with videos, and with my lawyer in the email exchange, to get the car finally fixed.
They first replaced spark plugs, then GPF temperature sensors and lastly the fuel injectors. Nothing fixed it. Only the new ECU.
Hi,
I've reported this problem in Poland in July 2019 and still no solution. So 6 months is not so long;p

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
My friend in Bucharest was just scheduled to get the new software. The dealer said they’ve just received it from Kia.
I asked him to send me a picture of the Service Report when he goes.
Also, I hope his problem will be fixed. It looks like they are coming out with a software update rather than a full ecu swap as in my case.