Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

2.0T Increasing fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Ralf, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Ralf

Ralf Belgium New Member

November 2019 I picked up my new KIA Stinger. Currently I have driven 3300 km by car. During this break-in period, I kept a close eye on fuel consumption because this is also a measure of the car's proper functioning.

Up to 2000 km I drove very carefully and quietly in ECO and my consumption was on average 8 to 8.5l per 100km (29.5mpg - 27.5mpg). After this period I also started driving in sport mode because I had discovered in the manual that I needed to drive a higher rpm range during the break-in period. Carefully, I have occasionally also asked a little more power from the engine.
    As expected, consumption also increased. I ended up with 12 to 13 liters (19.5mpg - 18mpg). Not worrying because I was constantly in "sport" mode.

500km later I went back to "COMFORT" and "ECO" mode and noticed that the consumption did not decrease as was the case during the first 2000km.
    During traffic-free moments I tried to achieve the lowest possible consumption in different ways, at different speeds, but average consumption is no longer below 10 liters per 100km (23.5mpg). Which is strikingly 2 liters higher than before. If I maintain normal driving behavior, the consumption is around 11 liters (21,5mpg).

Around 2000km I had also changed wheels (GT) with winter tires. To exclude that this was the cause of the higher consumption, I switched back to summer rims, but gave no difference. Bolts tightened to 110 Nm.

I had already tried to refuel super 98 octane. On recommendation of the KIA dealer I also used another gas stations, but without difference.

I have already calculated a number of times consumption on the basis of the indicated km driven between refueling and refueled content. Consumption is in reality always 0.5 liters higher vs
    on-board computer.

I regularly feel the brake discs after a ride to make sure there is nothing dragging there, but no heat to be felt.

If I read forums about consumption of the KIA Stinger 2.0, consumption between 8 to 9 liters per 100 km is achievable (29.5mpg-27.5mpg). Even on motorway.

I mostly drive the same roads with very little traffic.

The air conditioning has only a little influence in this cold period.

Can you ever think what this could be due to?

I want to add that I certainly do not want to complain that the Stinger uses too much fuel. Of course I did not buy the Stinger to drive economically
    It is just that I am concerned about the good and optimal functioning of the new car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SFM

SFM United Arab Emirates Member

I have the GT-Line with the 2.0T engine and my average consumption is 17L/100km which is 13.8 mpg. It's probably because I floor my car about 20-30 times every single day since I got it and it's 90% of the time in Sport mode.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kato_the_kia_stinger

Kato_the_kia_stinger Stinger Enthusiast

Has it gotten colder where you live?

4. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

There are a lot of conditions that affect gas mileage, but some things to consider:

- By default, ADS is on (automatic defrost), so when things get colder, your AC compressor is running
    - Colder weather is always lower gas mileage. It not only drops your tire pressures, but the dense air leans out the fuel mixture and your car's systems will increase fuel delivery to maintain the desired air-fuel ratio. It's also why cars are actually a little faster in the colder months
    - The system's ECU learns in every mode. An example is if you gun it from a stop light a handful of times, you'll notice the transmission and engine behave a little differently for awhile. The ECU is capable of advancing timing and adjusting itself a little to the driver's behavior. This could very well be where some of your changes are due to you recognizing a little late that you needed to break in the engine (and in your defense, that's actually quite rare these days).

Hope that helps!

P.S. I assume you typed that all yourself, and that's got to be one of the more impressive posts I've seen by someone whose English is a second (or more) language. I work with a lot of foreign folks at my job, and I'm surprised you had no issue composing coherent thoughts in moderately technical aspects, lol

5. Ralf

Ralf Belgium New Member

Thanks for the respons!
    I'm a hobby mechanic in oldtimers (Porsche transaxles). I'm wrong to compare the Stinger with the 80s cars. There is no brain behind them that analyzes driving behavior.
    (Temperature outside has only changed a little).
    Rarely, about 1 time at 400km it happens that he consumes remarkably less during a daily ride. For no apparent reason.
    Because of the complex injection control system like ZyroXZ2 cited, I think I should stop analyze fuel consumption and just enjoy the car, in sport mode, where the stinger was designed for ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yes: older cars were tuned "by hand" (of sorts). Things operated mostly linearly, and thus operated the same every time. With newer cars, things are constantly adjusting on-the-fly for optimal performance/mileage/emissions/etc.

Just use cruise control more often. The biggest source of pour gas mileage is inconsistent feet, lol

Draft saved Draft deleted