I messed up...

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
I've also now spent more miles than my 2018 before the brakes started vibrating, and am glad to report that my 2019 does not have the brake deposit vibration issue! My 2018 had the brake vibration start around 700 miles on the odometer. My GTS does not have any hints of it whatsoever, and I've never even done any hard braking on it at all, yet. It's even been storming about, and still nothing. There's definitely a different pad material on these!

EDIT: For clarity about the miles.

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
There's definitely a different pad material on these!
Why "definitely"? Most Stingers do not have shuddering brakes, period. Pushing 30K miles and my brakes have been perfect the whole way.

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Why "definitely"? Most Stingers do not have shuddering brakes, period. Pushing 30K miles and my brakes have been perfect the whole way.
Definitely because I went from an early 2018 where I had to hard brake to clean them off and still had some vibration to a 2019 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. And since you're defending something weird in your head that no one was attacking, the mere fact that I was one of many who did have moderate braking vibration going to a Stinger with none at all says Kia no doubt found something and made sure they changed it. WHEN they made this change, I have no clue (it could have been a mid 2018 change, even).

It's just like you wouldn't notice the 2019 merge pipe is composite vs aluminum on the 2018: just because you had no issue doesn't mean there isn't one.

Aarvix

North TX
Considering that both times I've had my car at the dealer for service they've asked me if I have any brake vibration issues (without me ever mentioning brakes), I'd say it's a known and statistically significant issue.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
"Statistically significant" does not mean most.

Of course there is an issue with particular vehicles' brakes. Along with paint flaws/failures; extraneous noises; upholstery wearing out prematurely; transmissions failing; myriad electronic fubar mysteries; under panels coming loose; bumper misalignments; taillight misalignments; engines going "dead"/dud; and a passel of lesser mentioned one-off incidents, there is a "statistically significant" number of Stingers with "issues": but still not "most" or even close to half.

Of course, a lot of imperfections never see the light of day, because most people who buy and own material things (especially complicated things) understand that "nothing in life has any business being perfect", and don't get on forums and complain about every little thing. So, we will never know what percentage of this still new model actually have imperfections.

My "perfect" Stinger has imperfections; some permanent; most intermittent but endurable.

You get a perfect thing, in theory: and what happens when it comes into your possession? You, an imperfect human being, mess it up, one mistake at a time. None of us is worthy of owning perfect things. So why worry about brakes that are not perfect? Fix them. Under warranty or otherwise. Or get rid of the car and meet disappointment with your next car. C'est la Vie.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Just wondering Merlin, have you had to replace your brake pads yet and how are the rotors. Plenty of wear left.
At c. 14K miles (a while ago) my brakes were declared to be "almost as good as new". Last oil change and inspection (c. 27K miles) they said "the vehicle is in excellent shape; we don't see any concerns at this time". They didn't even mention the brakes (yet).

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
At c. 14K miles (a while ago) my brakes were declared to be "almost as good as new". Last oil change and inspection (c. 27K miles) they said "the vehicle is in excellent shape; we don't see any concerns at this time". They didn't even mention the brakes (yet).
Thanks Merlin. All sounds good then.

I Left

Newish Member
Utah
How do I drive|coast down a mountain canyon road without ruining the brakes and engine in the stinger. People say use a lower gear. I don't know what that means, maybe it means to use the paddle shifters but I'd have no idea what gear or engine braking sound or whatever would be correct.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
How do I drive|coast down a mountain canyon road without ruining the brakes and engine in the stinger. People say use a lower gear. I don't know what that means, maybe it means to use the paddle shifters but I'd have no idea what gear or engine braking sound or whatever would be correct.
Cruise control takes over coming downhill; paddles won't respond unless you take it out of cruise control. And to maintain the set cruise speed, it will downshift to 5th gear routinely; the rest is applied brakes. When I am coming downhill and not in cruise control (99% of the time), I like to downshift to 4th gear; that way I only have to tap and release the brake pedal to maintain any speed I want.