I messed up...

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
I wrecked my stinger a little over a week ago. The sad part? I wish I was racing when I did it, but instead, I let someone get the better of my judgment. I think had I been racing, I'd have had both hands on the wheel and be focused on vehicle control, and not overtaking some a**hole.

Long story short: Mercedes in the 1 lane wouldn't let me move over like a dick, kept getting on the gas to "block" me out. So I went full throttle around 50MPH because I wasn't having it knowing I could easily overtake his ass, and the road started to turn left AND crown down and away from the turn (the worst road crown condition for cornering, of course!), and I went into a power slide. For a moment, I had control of it, but as the crown started to continue bringing the rear out, I started to ease up on the throttle to maintain the slide... but as I started to ease down to around the 1/3 throttle position, I wished I had been in manual mode. The car upshifted (!) and the brief weight transfer lifted the already hot rear tires up and the rear quickly went into full swing and I lost control of it, wiped out over an island and into a street sign over the oncoming traffic's curb.

I let some jerk get the best of me, and my Stinger was totaled. While the pics don't look that bad, the bottom was pretty much chewed the hell up, and the car's drivetrain was destroyed. The underside of the car basically ate three curb hops on the way to its final stop.

At the same time, I'll be selling some stuff to help fund overcoming my own stupidity. I'll be posting what I'm selling in this thread linked to a proper sell thread over in the other section.

Sorry to be such an embarrassment to you all! :unsure::cry:

Flameangel

2500 Posts Club!
Geelong, Victoria
OH Dear! You'll be harder on yourself than anyone else I'm sure.
You're only Human, we make errors in judgement at times, luckily you or others are not injured.
Sorry about your Stinger :( what will you do for a car now ?

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
OH Dear! You'll be harder on yourself than anyone else I'm sure.
You're only Human, we make errors in judgement at times, luckily you or others are not injured.
Sorry about your Stinger :( what will you do for a car now ?
Yea, I know: I'm not a professional racecar driver; but every racecar driver with a career has wrecked even though they race for a living on superior machines. It still sucks ass and I feel so dumb for letting some dickwad tempt me into doing something so stupid. Also, I'm missing both legs.

Just kidding, I'm fine :p And yea, while I was spinning out, I looked at oncoming traffic and my mind quickly went "no cars coming", heh.

Not sure on the car, but there really isn't any other car that sits right where the Stinger does between utility and modability for power.

falanger

USA
Sure hate to read this but at least the car did its job protecting you and you're alive and well. This could have been any of us (especially me, with my road raging ass) so don't beat yourself up.

KAS

So sorry to read this. Look, everyone makes mistakes and at least nobody was hurt. These cars are very powerful and it's not hard to get ahead of yourself. I'm sure many people reading this thread (myself included) will take it as a reminder about how quickly things can go pear-shaped when driving something as fast as a Stinger. So perhaps you'll help someone else avoid making a mistake of their own.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Bloody Mercedes driver....sorry you came unstuck but thankfully no-one was hurt.

HerbieTheCar

Minnesnowta
Dang dude, that really sucks. We all try to not let dumbass drivers get the best of us but it sometimes doesn't work out that way. Sorry to see that your Stinger got wrecked but glad that you're not hurt. I wish you luck the insurance process is speedy and that you'll have another Stinger soon!

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Crap. I've been "there", in my mind, more than a couple of times since getting this fantastic car! I did a reassessment not too long ago: and decided that since "I do not race", it makes zero logical sense to let any asshat get the best of my emotions. S/he can do whatever they want. I already have my spot, my line, my speed: and it isn't "race mode". When I pass fast it is a maneuver, not throwing down the gauntlet. If someone wants to challenge me over the position I am aiming for, fine, I'll back off at once and they can have it. (I keep talking to myself this way, so that I don't come a cropper like the OP. Sympathy, all the way. Get a new Stinger and move on. Man! What a learning curve we mortals must pursue sometimes!:(:thumbup:)

(edit: just noticed that your steering wheel airbag deployed!:eek: )

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I wrecked my stinger a little over a week ago. The sad part? I wish I was racing when I did it, but instead, I let someone get the better of my judgment. I think had I been racing, I'd have had both hands on the wheel and be focused on vehicle control, and not overtaking some a**hole.

Long story short: Mercedes in the 1 lane wouldn't let me move over like a dick, kept getting on the gas to "block" me out. So I went full throttle around 50MPH because I wasn't having it knowing I could easily overtake his ass, and the road started to turn left AND crown down and away from the turn (the worst road crown condition for cornering, of course!), and I went into a power slide. For a moment, I had control of it, but as the crown started to continue bringing the rear out, I started to ease up on the throttle to maintain the slide... but as I started to ease down to around the 1/3 throttle position, I wished I had been in manual mode. The car upshifted (!) and the brief weight transfer lifted the already hot rear tires up and the rear quickly went into full swing and I lost control of it, wiped out over an island and into a street sign over the oncoming traffic's curb.

I let some jerk get the best of me, and my Stinger was totaled. While the pics don't look that bad, the bottom was pretty much chewed the hell up, and the car's drivetrain was destroyed. The underside of the car basically ate three curb hops on the way to its final stop.

At the same time, I'll be selling some stuff to help fund overcoming my own stupidity. I'll be posting what I'm selling in this thread linked to a proper sell thread over in the other section.

Sorry to be such an embarrassment to you all! :unsure::cry:
Hey , we appreciate your honesty ! We are glad to know it was just the car and not you as well !! Stingers are replacable !! We have all done silly things while driving dont feel embarrassed !!

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
You had me really worried for moment :p
are you going to get another Stinger ? how does insurance work out in your situation ? :confused:
Since it happened awhile ago, insurance already deemed it a totaled car (which I figured it would be, I could tell the drivetrain was destroyed by how it was, you know, making sounds like tumbling rocks and boulders when I finally came to a halt). Since I wasn't upside down on the vehicle, I got a small payout.

Next car should be a mustang D:
This would make sense if there was a crowd and I was trying to show off...

Crap. I've been "there", in my mind, more than a couple of times since getting this fantastic car! I did a reassessment not too long ago: and decided that since "I do not race", it makes zero logical sense to let any asshat get the best of my emotions. S/he can do whatever they want. I already have my spot, my line, my speed: and it isn't "race mode". When I pass fast it is a maneuver, not throwing down the gauntlet. If someone wants to challenge me over the position I am aiming for, fine, I'll back off at once and they can have it. (I keep talking to myself this way, so that I don't come a cropper like the OP. Sympathy, all the way. Get a new Stinger and move on. Man! What a learning curve we mortals must pursue sometimes!:(:thumbup:)

(edit: just noticed that your steering wheel airbag deployed!:eek: )
Yea, the knee airbags also deployed. Fortunately, I have an upright seating position and am relatively well-positioned in terms of proximity to airbags. Thus, only my forearm (I was trying to steer into the curb once I lost control to ensure I didn't flip into a barrel roll and instead hopped the curb) took a 200MPH blow from the airbag and was all bloody, chafed, and bruised, hahaha :eek::D

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast

DaBears4Lyfe

1000 Posts Club!
Chicagoland
Since it happened awhile ago, insurance already deemed it a totaled car (which I figured it would be, I could tell the drivetrain was destroyed by how it was, you know, making sounds like tumbling rocks and boulders when I finally came to a halt). Since I wasn't upside down on the vehicle, I got a small payout.

This would make sense if there was a crowd and I was trying to show off...

Yea, the knee airbags also deployed. Fortunately, I have an upright seating position and am relatively well-positioned in terms of proximity to airbags. Thus, only my forearm (I was trying to steer into the curb once I lost control to ensure I didn't flip into a barrel roll and instead hopped the curb) took a 200MPH blow from the airbag and was all bloody, chafed, and bruised, hahaha :eek::D
Do you have accident forgiveness or is this going to raise your rates?

G70 Owner

Thanks for sharing and your honesty. I can say that if not for dumb luck, I would have been you on a couple occasions. For my own reference, did you have sport mode on? Traction control off or anything? I’ve almost had the car get away from me with TC all the way on, so I’m curious what settings you had going at the time

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Do you have accident forgiveness or is this going to raise your rates?
My rates are going up, I had them calculate on the wrecked car as if I got a replacement to see how much it would jump by so I had a reference point (though it varies by vehicle class/type/accident history/safety ratings/etc. but not enough to be completely outside some variance of the percent increase).

Thanks for sharing and your honesty. I can say that if not for dumb luck, I would have been you on a couple occasions. For my own reference, did you have sport mode on? Traction control off or anything? I’ve almost had the car get away from me with TC all the way on, so I’m curious what settings you had going at the time
I always drive with everything off (sounds stupid NOW, right?!). Stability, traction, ISG (Idle Stop and Go), and yes I was in Sport mode. My mistake really was not being in manual mode, even though my temperament was the bigger issue, lol

G70 Owner

My rates are going up, I had them calculate on the wrecked car as if I got a replacement to see how much it would jump by so I had a reference point (though it varies by vehicle class/type/accident history/safety ratings/etc. but not enough to be completely outside some variance of the percent increase).

I always drive with everything off (sounds stupid NOW, right?!). Stability, traction, ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go), and yes I was in Sport mode. My mistake really was not being in manual mode, even though my temperament was the bigger issue, lol
Sport mode holds gears during turns, I’m pretty disappointed to hear it upshifted like that when it should have detected the Gs you were experiencing and held it

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Sport mode holds gears during turns, I’m pretty disappointed to hear it upshifted like that when it should have detected the Gs you were experiencing and held it
"It can't detect" if TSC is turned off. Don't be disappointed in the car.