I messed up...

G70 Owner

"It can't detect" if TSC is turned off. Don't be disappointed in the car.
Learned something new, that seems kind of counterintuitive to disable that function if TSC is off as that’s when you’d want it most. Good for everyone to know though, for those spirited driving days

Dodger Blue

Central Coast, CA
My rates are going up, I had them calculate on the wrecked car as if I got a replacement to see how much it would jump by so I had a reference point (though it varies by vehicle class/type/accident history/safety ratings/etc. but not enough to be completely outside some variance of the percent increase).

I always drive with everything off (sounds stupid NOW, right?!). Stability, traction, ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go), and yes I was in Sport mode. My mistake really was not being in manual mode, even though my temperament was the bigger issue, lol
Yeah sadly it sounds like the traction control would have helped a lot here. This is why I generally drive with all the aids on. I don't know what I'd do if I hurt someone else because I didn't have the TSC engaged on a public road.

But hey, cars can be replaced. Your life and the lives of people around you can't. Chalk this up to life experience and please don't forget the lessons you've learned. Performance cars are humbling machines. I'm sure anyone who has ever been a "spirited driver" has been in your shoes at some point, I know I have. I wrecked my first car (a Tiburon) because I outdrove my skill level and the car's limitations on a mountain road. I was lucky not to kill anybody. Skidded into oncoming traffic on a hairpin and clipped a big truck, it peeled the sheet metal off my car like a banana peel and totaled it. The guy I hit only blew out a tire. Slightly different timing would have had me in a head on collision with a rig, or flying off an unguarded hillside. I managed to get away with a cut on my hand and a higher insurance premium, and had to drive a beat up minivan for a year until I could afford something better. I was lucky.

I still like to open my cars up on the open road, otherwise I would have bought something boring, right? But I'm more cognizant that I'm not on a race track. I'm not trying to set a land speed record or act like I'm on a canyon time trial. The truth is we aren't impressing anyone by driving too aggressively around people who are just trying to get home.

I'm glad you're ok.

Legendsk

Deep south Texas
Insurance is entering into a wager with an expert (Insurance Company), that you will collect more in claims than you pay in premiums. If that isn't a bad enough deal, now they will happily sell you insurance on the insurance you just bought from them, (accident forgiveness insurance). It's such a lucrative business that now pizza vendors will sell you insurance on your pizza, if you are willing. I think we are only inches away from the grocery store trying to sell you insurance on that gallon of milk.

Dodger Blue

Central Coast, CA
Insurance is entering into a wager with an expert (Insurance Company), that you will collect more in claims than you pay in premiums. If that isn't a bad enough deal, now they will happily sell you insurance on the insurance you just bought from them, (accident forgiveness insurance). It's such a lucrative business that now pizza vendors will sell you insurance on your pizza, if you are willing. I think we are only inches away from the grocery store trying to sell you insurance on that gallon of milk.
I saw that Domino's commercial last night, lol. Just ridiculous.

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Sport mode holds gears during turns, I’m pretty disappointed to hear it upshifted like that when it should have detected the Gs you were experiencing and held it
I can tell you for certain that it DOES downshift. I've hit some hard corners on mountain roads in Sport mode, and sometimes roll into the throttle a tad faster than I should on a corner exit, and it DOWNSHIFTS and throws the tail out, and I'm certain there's enough Gs to consider me "cornering".

At the same time, I can't argue that it should not UPSHIFT since there's no scenario in a hard corner or turning maneuver in which you'd upshift (or even downshift for that matter), but if it has a lateral G threshold, I might have been below it: a power slide has very low G forces compared to actual cornering. I might have been below it, and since I had reduced throttle to only 1/3 with absolutely no driving aids enabled, the car probably thought it was "safe" to upshift to the next gear.

Orrrrr, since I was in a base GT with no options, it doesn't have that feature programmed in like a GT1 or above (possibly). That part I really won't know.

Yeah sadly it sounds like the traction control would have helped a lot here. This is why I generally drive with all the aids on. I don't know what I'd do if I hurt someone else because I didn't have the TSC engaged on a public road.

But hey, cars can be replaced. Your life and the lives of people around you can't. Chalk this up to life experience and please don't forget the lessons you've learned. Performance cars are humbling machines. I'm sure anyone who has ever been a "spirited driver" has been in your shoes at some point, I know I have. I wrecked my first car (a Tiburon) because I outdrove my skill level and the car's limitations on a mountain road. I was lucky not to kill anybody. Skidded into oncoming traffic on a hairpin and clipped a big truck, it peeled the sheet metal off my car like a banana peel and totaled it. The guy I hit only blew out a tire. Slightly different timing would have had me in a head on collision with a rig, or flying off an unguarded hillside. I managed to get away with a cut on my hand and a higher insurance premium, and had to drive a beat up minivan for a year until I could afford something better. I was lucky.

I still like to open my cars up on the open road, otherwise I would have bought something boring, right? But I'm more cognizant that I'm not on a race track. I'm not trying to set a land speed record or act like I'm on a canyon time trial. The truth is we aren't impressing anyone by driving too aggressively around people who are just trying to get home.

I'm glad you're ok.
Yea, my lesson is use manual mode :rofl:

Socalstinga

Stinger Enthusiast
Glad you're ok and at least being honest with yourself...But this is exactly why I always have the nannies on (except that dumb ISG (Idle Stop and Go)) especially when I do canyon runs. It's real easy to push this really torque laden car and the power can get you in trouble. The only time I've turned nannies off (on previous cars) is on a true track, and I've spun out into the dirt a few times. but in a more open and controlled environment...

GRStinger

Michigan
Love your humility. A fine mea culpa. Hey, sheet happens! It's not hard to swap ends in the Stinger if you get too frisky. Good thing - no one got hurt. Live and learn. (Get a new Stinger, and cut off that dickwad Merc if you ever see him again. :p Kidding!!!)

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Glad you're ok and at least being honest with yourself...But this is exactly why I always have the nannies on (except that dumb ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go)) especially when I do canyon runs. It's real easy to push this really torque laden car and the power can get you in trouble. The only time I've turned nannies off (on previous cars) is on a true track, and I've spun out into the dirt a few times. but in a more open and controlled environment...
I will say that from having nannies on across multiple cars, I absolutely HATE it. Earlier in my ownership of the Stinger, I had stability on, and just TC off. Well, when I got spirited, I quickly learned that stability control isn't like, say, a Koenigsegg where stability control HELPS you: instead, the Stinger's stability control completely interrupts you to keep the car in what they deem a "safe" position.

Case in point, I was on a banked on-ramp going uphill not maybe a month after I bought it. I was hitting the bank pretty hard, but the bank started to level out as the end of the on-ramp was coming. As it did, the car started to plow a bit (as expected since it was still bone stock). The car's stability control hit the brakes on the passenger front tire and literally YANKED the front inward and slowed the whole car down. That's great and all, but I would have been better without it. Instead, it caused me to react and I started counter-steering the opposite direction out of instinct, and ended up looking like an idiot as I'm wrestling the car for no apparently good reason. From then on, stability control was always off.

Love your humility. A fine mea culpa. Hey, sheet happens! It's not hard to swap ends in the Stinger if you get too frisky. Good thing - no one got hurt. Live and learn. (Get a new Stinger, and cut off that dickwad Merc if you ever see him again. :p Kidding!!!)
Yea, I really wonder if that dickwad either felt guilt as he watched me pull right up in front of him and then spin out or if he pointed and laughed internally... Would make a very big difference if I ever ran into him again, lmfao

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Also, if anyone's interested in the parts I had laying around, here are links to the classified section on what I have to sell (it's not much, except the LAP3 Pro Tuner V1, lol):

LAP3 Pro Tuner V1: For Sale - LAP3 Pro Tuner V1 = $595 + shipping
K&N Intake Filters: For Sale - K&N Intake Filters RU-5163 = $50 + shipping FOR BOTH!
Stock Intake: For Sale - 3.3TT Stock Intake = $195 + shipping
Stock Secondary DPs: For Sale - 3.3TT Stock Secondary DPs = $250 + shipping
Bump if anyone wants any of these things laying around, lol

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Well, I ended up getting another Stinger.

But uh, I'm already dealing with issues on it that make me want to get rid of it... o_O I'm feeling like I'm not meant to have one of these... :unsure:

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
Well, I ended up getting another Stinger.

But uh, I'm already dealing with issues on it that make me want to get rid of it... o_O I'm feeling like I'm not meant to have one of these... :unsure:
Care to elaborate?

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Care to elaborate?
It's one of those "don't want to talk about it right now because it might jinx it" situations. I just don't want to affect the outcomes because my life is one of those lives where the more I discuss something, the less well it turns out, lmfao :rofl:

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
It's one of those "don't want to talk about it right now because it might jinx it" situations. I just don't want to affect the outcomes because my life is one of those lives where the more I discuss something, the less well it turns out, lmfao :rofl:
But it has warranty! Lol. I know the feeling. In a different life, or more like a different career where I don't work in an industry where I could be laid off any day, I'd probably have something more to my "quality standard."

Nuthadey

You broke another Stinger?!?! :laugh:

Are you getting a new engine? :whistle:

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
But it has warranty! Lol. I know the feeling. In a different life, or more like a different career where I don't work in an industry where I could be laid off any day, I'd probably have something more to my "quality standard."
Yea, the C8 is starting to look pretty nice to me, now... lmfao

You broke another Stinger?!?! :laugh:

Are you getting a new engine? :whistle:
More like the road broke my Stinger, but again... QUIT TRYING TO GET ME TO TALK ABOUT IT OR IT'LL JUST GET JINXED WORSE! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Yea, the C8 is starting to look pretty nice to me, now... lmfao

More like the road broke my Stinger, but again... QUIT TRYING TO GET ME TO TALK ABOUT IT OR IT'LL JUST GET JINXED WORSE! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
pictures tell a better story ......:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Ed B

Newish Member
Central Ohio
So, a few weeks ago now I was driving along in my Mercedes, minding my own business, when this Kia acted like he wanted to pass. Since I knew there was a hard corner coming up with a really bad crown, I tried to discourage the pass. At the last second, he zips around me, does a pirouette in the turn (showing off?), but ended up crossing the median. I tried to warn him. Hope he’s OK, ‘cause his car looked beat. JK

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
You want us to believe you're for real, am I right? :p

Welcome to the STINGER Forum, comedian comrade. :thumbup:

ZyroXZ2

Stinger Enthusiast
Soooo, there are quite a few major 2019 differences that would be considered minor for anyone other than car enthusiasts:

- My 2019 does, indeed, try to hold gears in Sport mode during hard cornering and even after letting off the gas on hard, straight line acceleration. This is quite a notable difference to me since I explore the limits of my cars. That second one is the most startling to me that it holds the gear after letting off the gas until I gently touch it again, and then it'll start upshifting to its ideal gear at the current speed. My 2018 ignored the vast majority of what I was doing and just wanted to select whatever gear it felt was right for the speed. This COULD have been a factor of having it modded (chip, for example), but I somewhat doubt that.
- The rear end feels heavier and more solid, though this model has a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) while my 2018 did not. Unfortunately, this heavier weight also translates to the entire car feeling heavier and more sluggish. My 2018 felt nimble right out of the box, my 2019 feels like it requires more force to get it to the limit. Having said that, my 2019 is likely close to a couple hundred pounds heavier than my 2018.
- The merge pipe is COMPOSITE! The merge pipe on my 2018 was aluminum, but this one is plastic. This was quite a surprise for me, as I believed that the destruction of my 2018's driver's side turbo came from the car somewhere and not externally. It seems that an engineer at Kia somewhere either found evidence of such on multiple vehicles, or felt it would be "safer" to just ensure anything that can blow air into the inlet of the turbo should not be metal (the BPVs could easily blow small metal debris from the merge pipe right into the inlet; it's plastic "mesh" has fairly large holes compared to what can damage a turbo).
- The stock exhaust is significantly louder than my 2018. I even get that "subwoofer" style vibration (albeit lower volume) at the same RPMs as my aftermarket exhaust on my 2018! I was quite surprised by this, to be honest. I remember my 2018 being so quiet I could hear the "cheap" ticking of the engine while driving. The fact that this one is loud enough to drown that out during acceleration is a win in my book, though it still pales in comparison to a proper aftermarket exhaust (and yes, I plan to do the exhaust this month!).
- Throttle mapping is more linear. My first one had the usual "factory" sharp pedal feel that would see me kind of "lurch" forward unless I was super gentle on the throttle. This one doesn't do that at all, and it's far more comfortable. However, Comfort mode also seems to have been nerfed a bit: it doesn't downshift nearly as aggressively until I'm near full throttle. My 2018 would downshift and go hard at 3/4 throttle in comfort mode.
- Overall fit and finish is inferior to my 2018. Rocker panels do not line up with doors as perfectly, the trunk and taillights don't line up with the body taillights (especially noticeable at night or when braking and the LEDs light up). I've adjusted the bump stops, but it does not entirely correct it. There's less perfection to the paint and paneling (my rear passenger door has a gentle inward dip in it near the front of the main panel, for example). This also equates to more interior noise: there are more taps and creaks. My 2018 had an occasional driver's door tick, but other than that it was COMPLETELY silent while driving. It made it seem like a far more expensive car.

Oh, why is it a couple hundred pounds heavier? It's a RWD GTS. :D:cool: This means it has the sunroof, Harmon Kardon sound system, alcantara and real carbon fiber stuff, and the 8" nav system along with the wireless charging tray. The additional weight is particularly the sunroof and the Harmon Kardon. Speakers and subs are heavy (thanks, magnets!... my 2018 had the factory 9 speaker), and the sunroof naturally adds more weight through motors, framework, and glass.

Unfortunately, not all is on the up-and-up. Not only do I have two tires with what looks like cuts in them which is causing cabin, footwell, and steering wheel vibration, but my passenger side turbo shows signs of dirt debris having gotten in there. Both of my turbos make police siren sounds very faintly since the day I bought it, but the passenger side was louder which prompted me to inspect it, and while it hasn't gotten worse I can only surmise that this thing was beaten on while cold from test driving which has prematurely worn the bearings a bit. The passenger side turbo fins show scoring at the ends of them, and the black paint wear dot has direct knicks on the leading edge. However, since Kia drops the engine/transmission to replace turbos, I've opted to simply tell them about it and have them not touch it. I'd rather swap them myself down the road rather than have a brand spanking new car get its engine and transmission dropped... again... and not feel quite the same when I get it back. :unsure: