kia stinger store

Seeking How To How daunting is the work for lowering springs?

Ulikefishsticks

So I have decided to pull the trigger and do this myself. I know it's going to be a pain in the butt. Before I bought this car I rarely did any work on my cars. But ever since buying the stinger and wanting to mod it I have done quite a bit of work. Spark plugs, exhaust, sway bars, intakes and JB4 and other work like dual channel dash cam and interior stuff. I luckily have a friend with a big garage and he is willing to let me keep my car in there on jack stands for however long it takes. I know the rears are a piece of cake so I will do those first. I will have to read up on the fronts as my car is AWD, I am doing this to save money on shop labor so if i mess something up then I just did this for nothing. I was hoping to do this before the end of the year but there is a back order on the Eibachs so I might have to wait until 2021. Any last tips for someone? I'm going to rent a spring compressor from an auto store, are there any other tools I should get from there? I have an electric impact gun. One thing I don't have that I will buy is a torque wrench. Does anyone have a good torque wrench to recommend? Thanks!

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
So I have decided to pull the trigger and do this myself. I know it's going to be a pain in the butt. Before I bought this car I rarely did any work on my cars. But ever since buying the stinger and wanting to mod it I have done quite a bit of work. Spark plugs, exhaust, sway bars, intakes and JB4 and other work like dual channel dash cam and interior stuff. I luckily have a friend with a big garage and he is willing to let me keep my car in there on jack stands for however long it takes. I know the rears are a piece of cake so I will do those first. I will have to read up on the fronts as my car is AWD, I am doing this to save money on shop labor so if i mess something up then I just did this for nothing. I was hoping to do this before the end of the year but there is a back order on the Eibachs so I might have to wait until 2021. Any last tips for someone? I'm going to rent a spring compressor from an auto store, are there any other tools I should get from there? I have an electric impact gun. One thing I don't have that I will buy is a torque wrench. Does anyone have a good torque wrench to recommend? Thanks!
Snap-On for the torque wrench. Good on you for rolling up your sleeves and taking on the challenge. I also have a friend with space who is keen to help on projects. Sad thing though the prick sold the house. He knows who he is.:thumbdown:

Ulikefishsticks

Just looked up Snap-On torque wrench. Hmm. Is a Snap-On torque wrench 10 times better than a Tekton torque wrench? I believe Snap-On tools are really great but $600 for a torque wrench vs $60 for a competitor seems absolutely insane. Maybe if my job was a mechanic I could warrant the price but I'm here trying to stretch this money further so I can spend more on mods haha.

narsnail

London, ON
Check post 57 in this thread, you can pull the whole hub off the strut and axle to save yourself some headache with spring compressors, it wont be as bad since you have a lift but you wont damage your axle this way.

DoctorStiches

Just looked up Snap-On torque wrench. Hmm. Is a Snap-On torque wrench 10 times better than a Tekton torque wrench? I believe Snap-On tools are really great but $600 for a torque wrench vs $60 for a competitor seems absolutely insane. Maybe if my job was a mechanic I could warrant the price but I'm here trying to stretch this money further so I can spend more on mods haha.
Just a Milwaukee impact gun battery powered is good enough for most things. 160 bucks tops

Aarvix

Stinger Enthusiast
North TX
Rent a toqrue wrench from O'reilly's or pony up $100 for a decent one.

There's no need for a home gamer to buy snap-on.

Ulikefishsticks

Yeah I plan on buying my own torque wrench. Of course I have never had an issue with just turn it until you can't, unless I'm using leverage then be careful. But I think suspension parts will definitely be smarter to torque to spec rather than under torque or over torque and stretch something that should not stretch.

Ulikefishsticks

Bought the Eibach springs 3 weeks ago. I guess there was an issue from Eibach, or the supplier I am buying from. I'm still waiting for a tracking number so I know they shipped it.