Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

G70 out sold Kia Stinger in Korea

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Euljiro1ga, Mar 13, 2018.

1. xot1

xot1 United States Stinger Enthusiast

The brakes are the same and the G70 users also have the same warped rotors problem.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. xot1

I didn't hear that they changed anything regarding the rotors.

3. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I’ve seen photos on KIA’s Korean site with the car having slotted rotors and I’m fairly sure last year one of the photos showed cross drilled rotors.

4. xot1

It was probably aftermarket.

5. Waynerm002

There is a photo of the Stinger on the Korean site now with slotted rotors.

6. xot1

Could you share the URL?

7. Boo the GP

Boo the GP United States Newish Member

I actually did a test drive of G70 before purchasing my Stinger last week. I'm not a type of guy obsessed with 0-60 acceleration, so performance-wise felt pretty much the same as Stinger. Although both cars have a similar price tag, you won't get more than 2k discount on G70, meanwhile I got 10k discount on my Stinger Premium AWD. And, G70's rear seat was too tight. I'm 5'10 (178cm) and experienced some difficulty getting in and out.

8. Waynerm002

9. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

Attaching the pic - you need to have sharp eyes to pick that out as I have noticed this too several months back. Would prefer drilled/slotted combo. Looks sic.

upload_2018-11-8_11-17-53.png

10. Manchuz

It was also the Korean website where I was fooled to thinking they got the 9 LED rear signal lights, but it was pointed out to me that North America's webbing around the LEDs are white, making it look like one massive turn signal.

upload_2018-11-8_11-17-2.png

11. xot1

This must be an incorrect rendering, but very interesting find. I will ask to a friend that works at Kia what he thinks about it.
    But I can assure you that on Korean internet there is not a single rumor regarding any upgrade of the rotors for any next model year.

In Korea we -including my car- also had the one massive turn signal (non-LED) for the 2018 model, and it got upgraded on the 2019 model.
    If I remember correctly Europe had these LED turn signals from the beginning in their 2018 model.
    I don't understand why Kia does these things... It just confuses or upset people.

12. Waynerm002

I know they typically might have a disclaimer that the version pictured is from a different region or something. The US site and brochure did that in the early days. I remember when I saw the Brembo brakes and rotors, I was thinking, this thing is going to be awesome! Press driving it on the track as an intro to the car, hell yeah! I’m thinking it was a cost decision on their part to do all the things they did.

13. Manchuz

If you remember early on, on the American and Canadian website, they pictured the Stinger with the cup holder lid.....and you know we did not get that!

14. Waynerm002

LOL! You are correct! If they had a 2.0T in GT trim with similar Options to the GT2, similar to the one they had on display at the dealer, I probably would have gone that route if the GT was coming out later. After driving them, that idea lingered for a bit but fizzled after a few more drives and GT2 it is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Australia also got the 9 LED rear signal lights
    F706EA1C-A8A7-4E16-B9CE-5B49FD5893AE.jpeg

16. JoeShmo

JoeShmo United States Newish Member

I recently found out about the G70. So I'm torn.
    oddly, one thing I DISLIKE about the Stinger is it's looks. I feel it's going to be a cop magnet, so much harder to be nonchalant when passing, or just driving slightly over the speed limit.
    But I also like the idea of having a useful back seat (Stinger). If you are going to have 4 doors, and heated rear seats, then figure out SOME way to get a few more inches of leg room back there. So I guess the G70's approach is technically you can put someone back there, but it's not going to give them a pleasant experience.
    The other "problem" is that I've been obsessing over the Stinger for two SOLID years; yes, even before it was announced, because I was impressed with the k900, but it did not have AWD. So when the Stinger came out, it hit most of the checkboxes. BUT, the US version (in 2018) did not have surround view or heated rear seats, which were my two main go-tos when searching for a car. The 2019 FINALLY had those.
    When I test drove a Stinger, even in "Comfort" mode, I felt the suspension was stiff (and it was a GT2 with Electronic suspension even). I think the problem is I'm comparing the suspension to my 1997 Jag XJ6, which is pretty much like driving a cloud. But I don't know if the G70 suspension is any better, I know the 2019 K900's isnt. Plus, the K900 has too much "wood" in it. Ugh, I HATE that wood look! Plus, mentally, that 1 second slower 0-60 time in the K900 is going to be messing with me mentally.

17. Keith Ruff

Keith Ruff United States Member

Interesting discussion here. Well I'm currently a leaser of a Sunset Yellow Stinger and have gone through hell with the repaint process. Kia refused to repaint my bumpers and plastic bits and after 5 weeks without the car it came back looking like crap! 4 guys at my dealership even said, "this is aweful!" Paint doesn't match, scratched tail light, overspray, orange peel, misaligned panels and fuel door, just totally disappointing! So now I'm waiting on a buyback quote as I don't want to trade if for another 2018 Stinger that will have paint flaking issues with no warranty. I'm in a dilemma now of what to do when the car is gone. Was thinking of waiting for the 2019 Stinger to arrive and see what kind of deal I can get but then read about the G70. Similar cars but to me the G70 is definitely a Mercedes from the rear Infinity from the front whereas the Stinger is an aggressive Optima from the front Maserati from the rear. LOVE the hatchback on the Stinger and the interior space, but I do like the interior on the G70 and reviews I've seen so far say it rides and handles better than the Stinger. What a quandary.....what to do? I really don't need the space in the back seat as 2 of my 3 kids are in college, but it's nice to have the space when needed and I much prefer the hatch over trunk. I guess I'll go check out the G70 and see if it "speaks" to me and see what the lease price will be in comparison. Just sux that I shouldn't be in this position if Kia painted my Stinger correctly from the start or if the repaint wasn't cheaped out by Kia and done right.

18. Jayce

Jayce United States Active Member

I feel your pain. I was obsessed with the Stinger for a long time. So much so, that my wife was mad at me when I passed on it. "You been talking to me about this car for a year and now you don't want to get it?!". You probably can't go wrong with either. You may be better off with the Stinger because I think I've read that the G70 suspension is a little firmer than the Stinger's and it sounds like you didn't like how firm the Stinger was.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Waynerm002

The G70 is a sport sedan, it will be firmer than the Stinger. I think the Stinger you took on a test drive probably had the tires over inflated. Now compared to the Jag, the Stinger will feel firmer but will be more comfortable than the G70.

20. JoeShmo

JoeShmo United States Newish Member

Too funny! Same story on my side. I've been obsessing about this car for over a year. My wife was against me getting any new car, then when I started talking about "for this price point, I can get a Merc, or BMW, or maybe wait for the k900, or g70". She's like "No, get the damn stinger, I'm sick of hearing abut it". So I'll probably get one just on principal at this point. We'll see what happens in a year or two with all the other cars, and maybe I'll trade in.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted