• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Excessive Road Noise? Howling/humming sound

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
^^^I would keep looking for another service center since this one sounds flakey. But in the meantime, don't leave your car sitting overnight again if you can possibly avoid it. Sooner or later they will be on it; none of that stuff you mentioned should take more than part of a day.

1&Done

Newish Member
They’ve narrowed it down to two things:
1.) rim replacement(which is damn near impossible)
2.Tire cupping.

Hub bearing has been ruled out. With that said once the manager had contacted me and stated that the tech suggests that it is two cupped front tires and the rim. I have already replaced the front driver side tire, and I’ve been told by the same service department that the tires were good, so I took it to an actual tire shop and they put the rims on a balancer(or whatever you call it). Tires are perfect. Front passenger rim is trashed. And I can’t find a replacement. Second opinion people state that a slight bent rim at times can sound the same as a failed bearing. Opinions?

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
Second opinion people state that a slight bent rim at times can sound the same as a failed bearing. Opinions?
That doesn't make sense, a bent rim creates shake and that's about it. Bearing failure feels different (more like a clunk when turning). Rims shouldn't contribute any noise, while bearings can whine at speed (and when really far gone, grind).

At the very least it appears you need a rim replaced before you can proceed with eliminating any other causes.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NOVA718

I noticed similar humming noise from the day I picked up my '22 GT Line that came with the refreshed 18s. Didn't notice it on the test drive, but the moment I got on the highway right after purchasing the car, I was able to hear it clearly once I went past 60MPH.

The noise is coming from the front passenger side, and it changes when going from a regular asphalt surface to a newly paved asphalt surface. At one point it felt like the noise varied with different RPMs but need to confirm that.

Other things I've noticed is that the first time I was parking the car, there was a loud clunk when I had turned the steering wheel all the way to one side. It happen maybe one or twice more but it has since stopped. And the other thing I've been noticing since day 1 is that there's a very slight vibration in the steering wheel and can be felt throughout the car when driving highway speeds.

I've had such bad luck dealing with dealership service depts that I've sworn off wasting my time going to them unless I'm broken down on the side of the road and the service dept would have no choice but to deal with it. So I never took the car in or even bothered contacting the dealer regarding this issue.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

1&Done

Newish Member
I got my car back, and I guess the 7th time was a charm, and having a one on one with the dealership general manager. After they replaced the wrong hub bearing, they finally got around to replacing the proper one and she runs just like when she was new. 10/10 would buy the car again, just would have to find a better service department…..

NOVA718

I got my car back, and I guess the 7th time was a charm, and having a one on one with the dealership general manager. After they replaced the wrong hub bearing, they finally got around to replacing the proper one and she runs just like when she was new. 10/10 would buy the car again, just would have to find a better service department…..
Glad to hear you got it sorted out! Which dealership was this if you don't mind me asking? If it's near me, I'd like to get mine checked out there as well or have my local dealer contact that dealer to share their fix method

RJC2022

Newish Member
Having exact same issue with 2022 GT2. I’m fairly confident it’s a tire issue. These Michelins they put on from factory are junk. Going to get a new set of Continentals and see how that does. Had dealer do an alignment and rotate front wheels. Noise seems to have switched sides and isn’t as loud now. Fairly certain one of the tires is culprit.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
These Michelins they put on from factory are junk. Going to get a new set of Continentals
Good luck with that. The Michelins are touted (almost to a consensus) as the best road tires available for performance cars. Maybe you got a bung one, they do exist; no other brand is going to free you from that possibility.
Had dealer do an alignment and rotate front wheels. Noise seems to have switched sides and isn’t as loud now. Fairly certain one of the tires is culprit.
If the noise followed the tire, then getting a new tire (try for Michelin to help with the cost of that, based on the evidence) is far cheaper than going for four. And by going for four, you increase your chances of another bung tire by X4. Hah.

Oh, and welcome. :)

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
Chicago
I bet the primacy did offer a more comfortable ride. Even with the AS4's, I feel every imperfection in the road. Slow down (significantly) for all rail road tracks.

StingerbyAdoom

Stinger Enthusiast
I bet the primacy did offer a more comfortable ride. Even with the AS4's, I feel every imperfection in the road. Slow down (significantly) for all rail road tracks.
what are your tire pressures at? they could be too high. That would certainly cause you to feel every bump in the road.

RJC2022

Newish Member
Good luck with that. The Michelins are touted (almost to a consensus) as the best road tires available for performance cars. Maybe you got a bung one, they do exist; no other brand is going to free you from that possibility.

If the noise followed the tire, then getting a new tire (try for Michelin to help with the cost of that, based on the evidence) is far cheaper than going for four. And by going for four, you increase your chances of another bung tire by X4. Hah.

Oh, and welcome. :)
Car came with the Michelin Primacy A/S which were great for about 10K. They started to get choppy around that time. I shot Michelin a message and they want an authorized dealer to do an inspection. Closest one of those is Tire Discounters and they didn’t seem to want to help when I called. I’m with you on the one just being funky. Heard nothing but good things about the Pilot Sports. At this point I just want to start fresh and eliminate the noise. I’ll pay the $1100 and hopefully my locally owned tire shop will take better care of us if we have problems than Kia and Michelin have lol. Thanks man!

RJC2022

Newish Member
They were good for about 10-12K then we started having some issues. I set the pressures to whatever the sticker in the door says. Slow down for everything and avoid pot holes at all costs!! Lol

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
Chicago
what are your tire pressures at? they could be too high. That would certainly cause you to feel every bump in the road.
Recommended is 36/39 cold. I'm usually at 35/37 cold.

This behavior is expected given it is a performance tire (of sorts).