kia stinger store

Excessive Road Noise? Howling/humming sound

Pandru

Minnesota
I've had my stinger for about two weeks now (brand new) and I can't help but notice in the past week or so there is a howling or humming sound coming from what sounds to be the front left wheel area or somewhere around there. To me the sound is similar to blowing over an open bottle. The sound is present over the typical road noise that we should expect. Could this be a tire, wheel alignment or something else? The noise doesn't really change pitch or get any louder dependent on speed so I doubt it would be a wheel bearing especially since the car only has 650 miles on it. I can produce the sound from about 20-80+ mph and it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference what kind of road surface I'm on. I've put it in neutral and coasted and the sound is still there. No change in sound when using different drive modes, turning off engine enhancement sounds or that either.

I'll probably take it into the dealer but was just reaching out to see if anyone has dealt with something similar to this before and if they were able to track it down and resolve it. It definitely isn't something I'd consider a normal sound and I test drove a few other Stingers before purchasing mine and don't recall hearing this noise. Sorry if the description is vague haha. Such an amazing car but this is definitely a slight annoyance...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
It could be the infamous (though very rare) mirror howl. For some mysterious reason, wind moving around the driver mirror (haven't heard of the passenger mirror doing it) can set up a harmonic like that. It probably just gets louder the faster you go. Good luck. :p

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
No noises on mine while my 981 there are rattles in all interior trims and whistling noise when driving the car I think the glass is not perfectly paired with the chassis. Porsche quality there.

Pandru

Minnesota
No noises on mine while my 981 there are rattles in all interior trims and whistling noise when driving the car I think the glass is not perfectly paired with the chassis. Porsche quality there.
I hear ya, I am probably also being hyper sensitive to things others probably may not even notice aka my wife lol.

I have had my brand new GT2 for 3 weeks and am having the same issue. I'm not sure if you have noticed it or not, but it seems to start getting really loud at almost exactly 60mph. It gets louder when I go over sharp bumps like the seams at the edge of a bridge.

Pandru

Minnesota
I have had my brand new GT2 for 3 weeks and am having the same issue. I'm not sure if you have noticed it or not, but it seems to start getting really loud at almost exactly 60mph. It gets louder when I go over sharp bumps like the seams at the edge of a bridge.
Interesting to hear you're having the same issue, ironically I see you're from MN (Lakeville) I'm in Shakopee so not too far from you. If you do end up bringing it in let me know what the dealer says, we can go to the same dealer if they're good at diagnosing and fixing! haha

I ended up bringing it into luther kia in bloomington, which is where I bought it from. Its been there for two days and they haven't been able to diagnose it yet. At least they have acknowledged that there is a problem though. I'll update once they figure it out.

Pandru

Minnesota
I ended up bringing it into luther kia in bloomington, which is where I bought it from. Its been there for two days and they haven't been able to diagnose it yet. At least they have acknowledged that there is a problem though. I'll update once they figure it out.
Good to know, that's where I bought mine too. I will likely do the same, keep me updated.

Pandru

Minnesota
Out of curiosity, when you brought it in - how did you describe the problem? Want to make sure the same message gets across when I bring it in.

Pandru

Minnesota

Here is a video I took, the sound may come across as faint over computer speakers - It sounds exactly like blowing over an open bottle. It's actually very loud when driving. Sorry for the shaky video.

ODONO

Newish Member
I've got a wind buffeting noise coming from the passenger side only hear it at 28 to 30mph and when car is cold, driving me nuts :mad: took it to dealers wouldn't do it as per usual :confused:

I described it as howling noise, like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle. I thought it was wheel bearing at first, but its not that. Its VERY loud in my car, it drowns out the stereo and the exhaust. My wife and I have to basically yell to hear each other over it on the highway.

G

G-132773

I described it as howling noise, like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle. I thought it was wheel bearing at first, but its not that. Its VERY loud in my car, it drowns out the stereo and the exhaust. My wife and I have to basically yell to hear each other over it on the highway.
Yep, same issue. I’m actually dropping my car off at Luther Kia in a half hour too. I mentioned your car is there for the same issue when I made the appointment

Pandru

Minnesota
I'm dropping my car off at Luther Kia in a half hour, when I made the appointment I told them your car is there for the same issue. Hopefully we can get a resolution quickly, it is pretty frustrating on an otherwise amazing car.

Aarvix

Stinger Enthusiast
North TX
Maybe kia forgot to install an air filter?

Maybe try swapping the left and right wheels/tires and see if the noise moves to the other side?

Are all the air dams underneath the car properly installed?

Pandru

Minnesota
Maybe kia forgot to install an air filter?

Maybe try swapping the left and right wheels/tires and see if the noise moves to the other side?

Are all the air dams underneath the car properly installed?
We will see what the dealer finds, when I dropped my car off this morning they said their master tech was also working on DrKronwall's Stinger...so hopefully they can figure something out for the two of us.

Have you heard anything from them yet? They are claiming that it is a normal sound for me. However, a car that sounds like a dive bomber as it does down the freeway is not normal. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Pandru

Minnesota
Have you heard anything from them yet? They are claiming that it is a normal sound for me. However, a car that sounds like a dive bomber as it does down the freeway is not normal. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Yep, they just called me and said it is considered normal. They tested 5 new stingers, swapped wheels/tires and all that. He said they may make this into a TSB if more issues are reported but unfortunately for us we are in a crappy position...