kia stinger store

Excessive Road Noise? Howling/humming sound

Now that I have almost 6000 miles on the car I wanted to give an update for the symptoms my car has to see if more info might help someone come up with the root cause of this issue. Especially since kia still says there is nothing wrong. Updated symptoms for me include:

1. The really loud howling noise now happens between 30-33mph and 60-63 mph. It's so loud now that I can play slipknot with the radio set on 40 and still hear it. This noise is made even louder with colder air temperature and/or by a heavy downpour. Snow melt on the roads doesn't affect it, just if it's pouring rain.
2. A quieter version of the same noise happens now from 10-90mph, just gets really loud at the speeds I mentioned above.
3. There is a wobbling noise that happens from 58-60 mph.
4. At speeds between 10-20mph there is a sound that sounds like rubbing/grinding, but that goes away above those speeds.
4. The car pulls to the left if you let go of the steering wheel despite having an alignment done and having the tires rotated twice in 6000 miles.
5. Upon cold start there is a pogo like effect from the front suspension until the car reaches about 40mph and the brakes are applied. Then it doesn't come back unless I let it sit for a few hours.
6. At a speed somewhere between 80-90mph the entire car starts shaking.

If anyone has any theories I would really appreciate it. I honestly don't know how to force kia to actually fix the issue, so I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what might be causing this stuff so I can ask them to look at a specific part.

narsnail

London, ON
Now that I have almost 6000 miles on the car I wanted to give an update for the symptoms my car has to see if more info might help someone come up with the root cause of this issue. Especially since kia still says there is nothing wrong. Updated symptoms for me include:

1. The really loud howling noise now happens between 30-33mph and 60-63 mph. It's so loud now that I can play slipknot with the radio set on 40 and still hear it. This noise is made even louder with colder air temperature and/or by a heavy downpour. Snow melt on the roads doesn't affect it, just if it's pouring rain.
2. A quieter version of the same noise happens now from 10-90mph, just gets really loud at the speeds I mentioned above.
4. At speeds between 10-20mph there is a sound that sounds like rubbing/grinding, but that goes away above those speeds.
4. The car pulls to the left if you let go of the steering wheel despite having an alignment done and having the tires rotated twice in 6000 miles.
5. Upon cold start there is a pogo like effect from the front suspension until the car reaches about 40mph and the brakes are applied. Then it doesn't come back unless I let it sit for a few hours.

If anyone has any theories I would really appreciate it. I honestly don't know how to force kia to actually fix the issue, so I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what might be causing this stuff so I can ask them to look at a specific part.
What tires? Stock rims?

I find this car extremely sensitive to balance/psi/alignment.

Make sure you have your tires road force balanced at the correct psi, 245 r18 at 36psi front and 39 rear for square 18 setups and the 19s staggered at 39 psi front and 36 rear. Make sure they are the correct psi before the balance and alignment, so many shops don't do this.

Everything is stock. I'm waiting to do anything mod wise until this issue gets fixed. All the psi's are where they're supposed to be. The dealership said they checked the balancing last time it was there.

narsnail

London, ON
Everything is stock. I'm waiting to do anything mod wise until this issue gets fixed. All the psi's are where they're supposed to be. The dealership said they checked the balancing last time it was there.
It probably balanced fine on their machine, I doubt they road force balanced it though. Take it to a good local tire place and ask them to do a road force. Unless something is absolutely egregious they never go out of their way to help you, unless you have an amazing dealership.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
It probably balanced fine on their machine, I doubt they road force balanced it though. Take it to a good local tire place and ask them to do a road force. Unless something is absolutely egregious they never go out of their way to help you, unless you have an amazing dealership.
I had a car with skinny sidewalls like the Stinger that always had a shutter at certain speeds until I had them road force balanced. It will reveal things not seen on the standard machine. It takes longer for them (and requires an advanced machine) which is why it typically costs extra.

Once this is done I would say you've done your due diligence. Bring the list of symptoms (the same one posted above) and tell them you're not accepting it as fixed until they are all corrected.

The thing in your symptoms list that concerns me is the pulling to the left and the 'pogo' effect/loose steering. Having those two symptoms sounds like a control arm issue, something in the linkage.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I've already said plenty about hypersensitivity; which I think plays into your personal issues with noises.

But pulling to the left and the whole car shaking staring between 80 and 90 MPH: these are issues with alignment and tire balance or integrity. You've not had a proper alignment, or, a tire is bad and pulls to the left. Again, it could be two or more things not right at the same time. I'm really sorry that you've had to battle with crap all these months.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Are the stock tires all seasons in the US?
Both. My understanding is that Kia went with Michelin PS3 A/S a year or two back (other A/S they've used are Bridgestone/Potenza/Continental). As far as I know, the staggered setup uses PS4 UHP summer tires only; if you have A/S you have 18" wheels squared. But even as I say that, something reminds me that I've read on here about staggered having A/S Michelins as well.; I'm not sure about summer tires only on staggered.

narsnail

London, ON
Both. My understanding is that Kia went with Michelin PS3 A/S a year or two back (other A/S they've used are Bridgestone/Potenza/Continental). As far as I know, the staggered setup uses PS4 UHP summer tires only; if you have A/S you have 18" wheels squared. But even as I say that, something reminds me that I've read on here about staggered having A/S Michelins as well.; I'm not sure about summer tires only on staggered.
Well that not unnecessarily confusing at all lol. Hard to pin down issues like this with so many different tires.

I would normally agree with you about the sensitivity maybe being me personally, but its getting louder as time goes by. I've also had two different people honk at me at a stop light to ask me if I knew my car was making a weird noise in the last month.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I would normally agree with you about the sensitivity maybe being me personally, but its getting louder as time goes by. I've also had two different people honk at me at a stop light to ask me if I knew my car was making a weird noise in the last month.
That's just crazy. This has to be a core issue that is mechanical. Pulling to the left I'd expect to be related to the same cause. If you've never changed wheels and you're running stock tires, as you say, there can't be any rubbing issue here. A bad bearing would explain it. But you say "they" have ruled that out. How recently? Your updated list includes crap that you weren't afflicted with months ago. Did you go through any period of diminishing issues, only to have stuff come back with a vengeance?

I've only had more symptoms start to happen, or have the existing ones get worse. The car is completely stock except for some E badging. It's awd with the michelins that came on the stock 19" staggered rims. The symptoms first started with literally 100 miles on the car. Which is why I have done nothing to it but the badging I put on the day I took it home from the dealership.

This is why I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I don't understand how the dealership service department, and kia tech line support have said "the car is operating as intended" when it clearly isn't. The service department at the dealership says they are "not authorized" to do anything else to try and diagnose the issue because of the "car is operating as intended" line that came from whoever the service department calls when they can't figure something out.

So with the additional symptoms I described above I was hoping that someone might be able to figure it out. I'm suspicious of something in the suspension myself, but not an expert.

narsnail

London, ON
I've only had more symptoms start to happen, or have the existing ones get worse. The car is completely stock except for some E badging. It's awd with the michelins that came on the stock 19" staggered rims. The symptoms first started with literally 100 miles on the car. Which is why I have done nothing to it but the badging I put on the day I took it home from the dealership.

This is why I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I don't understand how the dealership service department, and kia tech line support have said "the car is operating as intended" when it clearly isn't. The service department at the dealership says they are "not authorized" to do anything else to try and diagnose the issue because of the "car is operating as intended" line that came from whoever the service department calls when they can't figure something out.

So with the additional symptoms I described above I was hoping that someone might be able to figure it out. I'm suspicious of something in the suspension myself, but not an expert.
A road force balance will eliminate your wheels/tires as an issue. I had a bent rim and it would balance on a normal machine, with enough weights you can balance bad rims/tires. Maybe a bulge in your tire or an out of round tire? Maybe try another dealership, some of them straight up suck.

Are roads in MN as bad as Canada? I bent both of my front rims, and then had them fixed. The difference is staggering.

Maybe if you can get a friend to drive beside and video tape the noise, that is more evidence.

EClapp3

At what point could you file lemon law?

I am actually attempting to bring it to a different dealership. It was supposed to go there a couple days ago, but their lead tech got hurt somehow so I had to push it out another month.

Im not totally sure about the rules around lemon law in MN, but I think its 30 days straight in the shop or going in for the same problem 4 times in the first 2 years. I'm not certain about that though, and I don't want to lemon law it. I like the car a lot aside from the noise and pulling, those don't change how fun it is to drive. And the look on someone's face thats driving a challenger when I'm dead even with them launching from a stop light. Plus it's the color combo I like, and the only car with these options on it that isn't outrageously priced because of a badge.

EClapp3

Im not totally sure about the rules around lemon law in MN, but I think its 30 days straight in the shop or going in for the same problem 4 times in the first 2 years. I'm not certain about that though, and I don't want to lemon law it. I like the car a lot aside from the noise and pulling, those don't change how fun it is to drive. And the look on someone's face thats driving a challenger when I'm dead even with them launching from a stop light. Plus it's the color combo I like, and the only car with these options on it that isn't outrageously priced because of a badge.
If a lemon were to happen I would think getting another lol. I agree 100% on this is the best thing at this price range. That's why I got one.

Pandru

Minnesota

Glad you reported back, I was going to follow up on this thread to see how things are going for you. I put my 19" wheels and all seasons back on a few weeks ago and I notice the tire noise much more again than I did with the 18" wheels and snow tires. That said, I haven't experienced the other issues you're experiencing...although I only have 1800 miles on the car.

As has been said later in this thread, this car is amazing and I've thought about what could replace it at this price point and there isn't much that could touch it as far as features and performance is concerned. I've basically come to the fact that I'll have to deal with this annoyance as everything else about the car is great. Keep us in the loop with any more info or findings you may have.