• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Differential issue

You are experiencing it right now. Stinger is known for making all kind of noises, and deaf dealers. ;)
Should I walk away now? I was in an AWD TLX V6 and really liked the car. But I felt like I was lacking some power and the Type-S was just so expensive. So this seemed to be the perfect car for me. Now, I regret it immensely.

There are even small things that bother me with this one that I can get over but when mixed with the big things not so much.

I wonder if anyone else has the same thoughts on the minor ones:

1. I find the driver’s seat bottom isn’t long enough. Ideally I’d like the seat to get to under my knees so the bolster that comes out properly supports the thighs. My TLX was great with this. Now my knees end up too high up like I’m on a lower seat (which I am but the cushion being just an inch or two extended would be so helpful). On the TLX I felt that the seat supported my legs while driving and was so comfortable. Now I feel like my knees are supporting my legs more when trying to be comfortable on a longer drive.

2. I like leaning my left leg on the door but on the Stinger that aligns with the handle and is very uncomfortable. Not a terrible adjustment to make for me but minor nonetheless.

Anyone else find this?

Last edited:

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
^^Play around with the seat adjustment to find something comfortable. If you can't, walk away as it will bother you forever.

I'm 6' and my left knee usually rests against the door handle. I'm proportioned such that it's not bothersome at all. It was a little strange at first (coming from an accord which accommodates much wider folk). OTOH, I also owned a g37S which had seat and torso bolsters. Loose weight?

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Now, I regret it immensely.
I think you answered your own question. Stinger is a great performer for the money. But it does raise some quality control questions. For some people, like me, all those small things don't matter much. Some people just dont want it. New type-s looks to be a higher build quality car. Only if it was 3500lbs car with 400hp engine, it would be a HIT.

Last edited:

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It happens over bumps (as in standard road bumps - not any bumps that are too egregious) but also when stopping.
this does not in any way seem like a differential issue.

So, is the differential issue now resolved/accepted - and now there is a new issue with a new noise that basically deserves it's own thread - as it's unrelated to a differential issue?

Last edited:
^^Play around with the seat adjustment to find something comfortable. If you can't, walk away as it will bother you forever.

I'm 6' and my left knee usually rests against the door handle. I'm proportioned such that it's not bothersome at all. It was a little strange at first (coming from an accord which accommodates much wider folk). OTOH, I also owned a g37S which had seat and torso bolsters. Loose weight?
Yah I played with it and came to the most comfortable I will get.

It is not a weight issue. I mean, I wouldn't say I am skinny but definitely not close to a weight that would require losing any for this. When I lean my left leg against the door, the handle aligns with just below my knee and it is hard and uncomfortable to keep it there. Like I said, this is the easiest "issue" to get past but I was curious if anyone else had this.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...
this does not in any way seem like a differential issue.

So, is the differential issue now resolved/accepted - and now there is a new issue with a new noise that basically deserves it's own thread - as it's unrelated to a differential issue?
Unfortunately not. The differential issue is still happening. The latest with that is I am waiting for the dealer to tell me they have all seasons or winters to swap and try if it is just that it is summer tires in this weather.

But after they replaced the differential, this noise started happening. I don't think it is necessarily related to the differential but something they did caused it to start happening after.

Here is what I mean (do not mind the bagging of pant material). More pressure on my knees this way. If the seat was extended just an inch or two that it reached under my knees (where I circled) it would be great. The TLX did that and while my feet rested on the floor, my knees were not feeling like it was taking any weight. thumbnail_IMG_7251.jpg

I guess your model does not have switch #6 here

View attachment 69263

for cushion extension

for
View attachment 69262
Yah it has the bolsters. The picture is with them fully extended. I actually would only consider cars with the bolster since it was so helpful for me on the TLX.

I have sciatica that acts up once in a while and I found on long trips it would until I got my TLX and had the bolster out. So that is why I only considered ones with it.

Snowwhite

that noise sounds like something is definitely loose or not seated correctly back there. Since what they did was the differential, check there first, starting with the mounting of the diff and the axles. I'd still check the swaybar links, but perhaps also the bottom shock mount bolts. It could be as simple as a heat shield not fastened correctly as well. I wouldn't bother with the top half of the suspension unless they had to remove anything up there to get to the differential.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
that noise sounds like something is definitely loose or not seated correctly back there. Since what they did was the differential, check there first, starting with the mounting of the diff and the axles. I'd still check the swaybar links, but perhaps also the bottom shock mount bolts. It could be as simple as a heat shield not fastened correctly as well. I wouldn't bother with the top half of the suspension unless they had to remove anything up there to get to the differential.
Your comments read as though you are speaking to the technician who will be doing the checking. But I think in this case, the customer will be handing the car over to a technician to do the checking.

hopefully the technician is quickly and easily able to identify the source of the sound

Snowwhite

Your comments read as though you are speaking to the technician who will be doing the checking. But I think in this case, the customer will be handing the car over to a technician to do the checking.

hopefully the technician is quickly and easily able to identify the source of the sound
Me, I'd be lifting the car up on ramps or jack stands and taking a look myself, but at the very least he can print that out and hand it to the tech.

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Me, I'd be lifting the car up on ramps or jack stands and taking a look myself, but at the very least he can print that out and hand it to the tech.
Totally can...

But I'm not sure if licensed technicians favour the customers who come to them with the "internet diagnostics"

This is a new issue, it's not like the car has been back any times for this issue that occured after differential was replaced

Does the issue occur every drive? Or is it possible the issue did not occur when they test drove the car after the differential replacement?

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
Yah it has the bolsters. The picture is with them fully extended. I actually would only consider cars with the bolster since it was so helpful for me on the TLX.

I have sciatica that acts up once in a while and I found on long trips it would until I got my TLX and had the bolster out. So that is why I only considered ones with it.
Easy solution would be to move your seat back further so there is less Bend in your knee. Then adjust your steering wheel closer to you.

Last edited:

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
I should hold off on this comment in case it is not the tires, but it would have been so easy if there was just one person who - like on here - would say oh, no that's the tires cuz they are summers. Perfectly normal in this temperature. End of discussion. I would have gone straight to swap winters already instead of trying to wait for next winter.

I really don't get why the hell they come with summer tires. They delivered me a car in December, in sub-zero temperatures in Canada with summer tires on.
There is a reason why they offer Winter Tire Packages. Never have I heard of cars bought in the Winter being sold with Winter Tires as standard.

RogueIV

Stinger Enthusiast
I should hold off on this comment in case it is not the tires, but it would have been so easy if there was just one person who - like on here - would say oh, no that's the tires cuz they are summers. Perfectly normal in this temperature. End of discussion. I would have gone straight to swap winters already instead of trying to wait for next winter.

I really don't get why the hell they come with summer tires. They delivered me a car in December, in sub-zero temperatures in Canada with summer tires on.
Subaru WRXs also come with summers, it's not that all uncommon with performance cars. On the brightside this also means your car has a higher top speed limiter (not that most of us will hit that.)

The dealer really should have mentioned it was on Summers though and at least offer a Winter tire package.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
Easy solution would be to move your seat back further so there is less Bend in your knee. Then adjust your steering wheel closer to you.
Not so easy. One of the cars I was looking at was the 10th gen accord ('21/'22).

With the seat comfortably (or not) adjusted, my right knee was in the center console/dash stack. Seat further back resolved the issue but then the pedals felt too far away. I gave up after 10 min.

Subaru - no matter which car I sat in, the head rest felt like it was pushing my head forward.

IMO ergonomics should be primary. Walk away from any car you're not comfortable in.

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
Not so easy. One of the cars I was looking at was the 10th gen accord ('21/'22).

With the seat comfortably (or not) adjusted, my right knee was in the center console/dash stack. Seat further back resolved the issue but then the pedals felt too far away. I gave up after 10 min.

Subaru - no matter which car I sat in, the head rest felt like it was pushing my head forward.

IMO ergonomics should be primary. Walk away from any car you're not comfortable in.
Unfortunately no car will be perfect. Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad to get the car you want. The Stinger is that type of car. So much going for it, with a few quirks.

Totally can...

But I'm not sure if licensed technicians favour the customers who come to them with the "internet diagnostics"

This is a new issue, it's not like the car has been back any times for this issue that occured after differential was replaced

Does the issue occur every drive? Or is it possible the issue did not occur when they test drove the car after the differential replacement?
I don't think it happened when we tested it after the replacement. And today is about 10-14 degrees C - while I only drove a bit today it did not have that new noise.

I wonder if the cold is related to it also since as it was pointed out the car was warm in the shop when the differential problem was not there that day either.