• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Differential issue

I got my Stinger end of December 2021 and it has been a shitshow since. It came off the lot with a major issue. Every time I turned it felt like my rear wheels were losing traction on ice (even when the roads were clear). I have not been able to drive the car normally because I always have to allow for the rear wheels to slip and lose power before the car accelerates out of my turn. I have so far been to the dealership 5 times for this.

The first time they had someone from their shop drive with me to feel what I was referring to.

They confirmed there was an issue and had their own ideas what it was. So I returned to drop off the car for them to assess and fix it. They put me in a rental. They called to let me know that Kia Canada said to change the coupling but the coupling would be a few days so I returned the rental and picked up the Stinger until the part came in.

I returned to the dealer once the coupling came in and they put me in another rental. They called me to let me know the coupling did not fix the issue - in fact it made it worse - and their next step was to change the whole differential. I came back to the dealer to return the rental and pick up my Stinger.

I have been told that Kia Canada is sending a technical support person to assess my car. Even though one of the times I was at the dealer there was someone there they told me was from Kia Canada to assess my car.

Now I am waiting for them to tell me to drop my car yet again so Kia can try - yet again - to determine how to fix it (I guess they are looking to do it as cheaply as humanly possible so they do not want to replace the whole differential yet).

To make matters worse, due to this issue the car is ATROCIOUS in snow. Like almost comically so. I slip and slide when every other car drives normally.

In conclusion, I made the leap to this car specifically for the performance - I read a ton of reviews and everyone was impressed with the performance aspect specifically. I have yet to experience the aspect of the car that was the main driving force behind me getting a Stinger. And of course my lease payments get debited from my account even though I am paying for a product I am not getting nor have I ever gotten.

While this can be fixed and maybe a couple years from now this is a distant memory and I love the car. But as of right now, I will never go with a Kia again. The experience has been so bad. If I could, I would switch back to my old car.

Thank you for the venting opportunity.

GT Elite

Does sound like a differential issue. Do you have the open diff or limited slip? Only the 2021 Limiteds and 2022 Elites have the LSD (Limited Slip Differential).

Does sound like a differential issue. Do you have the open diff or limited slip? Only the 2021 Limiteds and 2022 Elites have the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential).
I have a 2022 Scorpion AWD so it has the options of the Elite which I guess would mean it does have the LSD (Limited Slip Differential).

NYBIOMED

I’d give them 1 more shot to change out the differential, but I’d also let them know I’ll soon be contacting a lawyer regarding returning the vehicle under the Lemon law! Follow through if its not fixed, this is certainly unfair to You in numerous ways after dropping $50k+
I hope you get the resolution you deserve.

Peace

GT Elite

Nice car. I have a 2022 Elite.

So, with the LSD (Limited Slip Differential), I’m thinking the problem is with the clutch pack binding or seizing up (due to assembly problem). I had something similar to what you are describing happen with a Firebird Trans Am. I managed to fry the clutch pack in it from lapping days (it got hot enough that it was boiling gas in the gas tank above). The behaviour when going around corners was to skitter sideways, as the inside rear wheel was trying to turn backwards. I replaced that LSD (Limited Slip Differential) with a Torsen geared LSD (Limited Slip Differential)…..no more problems.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...
I’d give them 1 more shot to change out the differential, but I’d also let them know I’ll soon be contacting a lawyer regarding returning the vehicle under the Lemon law! Follow through if its not fixed, this is certainly unfair to You in numerous ways after dropping $50k+
I hope you get the resolution you deserve.

Peace
Thanks. Unfortunately Canada does not have the same lemon laws as the US. So while there are avenues available, it is more about getting it fixed or being reimbursed for it being fixed. There is an arbitration process as well but I will have to let this play out first.

Thank you.

So, with the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential), I’m thinking the problem is with the clutch pack binding or seizing up (due to assembly problem). I had something similar to what you are describing happen with a Firebird Trans Am. I managed to fry the clutch pack in it from lapping days (it got hot enough that it was boiling gas in the gas tank above). The behaviour when going around corners was to skitter sideways, as the inside rear wheel was trying to turn backwards. I replaced that LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) with a Torsen geared LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential)…..no more problems.

Thanks. I am hoping the new differential will do the trick but Kia Canada is playing games and trying to do anything else they possibly can first.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

So, with the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential), I’m thinking the problem is with the clutch pack binding or seizing up (due to assembly problem). I had something similar to what you are describing happen with a Firebird Trans Am. I managed to fry the clutch pack in it from lapping days (it got hot enough that it was boiling gas in the gas tank above). The behaviour when going around corners was to skitter sideways, as the inside rear wheel was trying to turn backwards. I replaced that LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) with a Torsen geared LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential)…..no more problems.

Would the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) issue that I am having explain why the traction in snow is so absolutely atrocious? I am hoping this is the reason.

GT Elite

I would say yes. The sliding I mentioned in my post was in the summer on dry pavement. So, if you are experiencing something similar to what I had, it would be extremely more noticeable in snow.

I would say yes. The sliding I mentioned in my post was in the summer on dry pavement. So, if you are experiencing something similar to what I had, it would be extremely more noticeable in snow.
I had one time approaching an intersection and there was snow on the ground. Nothing crazy but a solid layer. I’m very slowly easing into stopping for the stop sign when my car just spun out of control and made an almost 180 ending up by the sidewalk. Thankfully it didn’t hit anything that would damage it and the one pedestrian I saw heard me honking and moved. Plus I was going so slow. But it was nuts. I’ve never experienced anything like that in those weather conditions.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

D.J.

Stinger Enthusiast
I had one time approaching an intersection and there was snow on the ground. Nothing crazy but a solid layer. I’m very slowly easing into stopping for the stop sign when my car just spun out of control and made an almost 180 ending up by the sidewalk. Thankfully it didn’t hit anything that would damage it and the one pedestrian I saw heard me honking and moved. Plus I was going so slow. But it was nuts. I’ve never experienced anything like that in those weather conditions.
well that is certainly not supposed to happen.

Sounds like the vehicle is unsafe to drive in the snow with this apparently locked up rear diff.
Hope Kia has a new diff for you quickly.

Which part of Canada you in?

I have a 2018 Canadian stinger - so open diffs front and back. I used to want the rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) - but after reading your experience with a deflective LSD (Limited Slip Differential) - I'm happy to stick with my open diffs.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
I've been active on this forum for a while now, and the consensus seems to be that the Stinger is above average in snow especially with AWD and decent all season tires. If the differential is indeed seizing or otherwise causing wheels to drag it can certainly throw the car into a tailspin on slippery surfaces. If you're losing both rear wheels to this phenomena it would go exactly as you described.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
well that is certainly not supposed to happen.

Sounds like the vehicle is unsafe to drive in the snow with this apparently locked up rear diff.
Hope Kia has a new diff for you quickly.

Which part of Canada you in?

I have a 2018 Canadian stinger - so open diffs front and back. I used to want the rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) - but after reading your experience with a deflective LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) - I'm happy to stick with my open diffs.
LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is really for pushing the car at its limits (track). Many of us wouldn't know the difference.

I've been active on this forum for a while now, and the consensus seems to be that the Stinger is above average in snow especially with AWD and decent all season tires. If the differential is indeed seizing or otherwise causing wheels to drag it can certainly throw the car into a tailspin on slippery surfaces. If you're losing both rear wheels to this phenomena it would go exactly as you described.
Thanks. Makes sense but it’s nice to hear there’s a reason for it.

I am waiting to buy snow tires for this to be fixed but I also read it was good handling with the AWD.

GT Elite

You are on the Michelin PS4’s in the snow. Be very careful with that, as those tires are not designed for the snow and will greatly amplify the problem you’re having. That spin out you ment8oned was probably caused by the transmission downshifting to first gear as you came to a stop. With your current issues you may want to consider shifting to neutral as you come to stop.

You are on the Michelin PS4’s in the snow. Be very careful with that, as those tires are not designed for the snow and will greatly amplify the problem you’re having. That spin out you ment8oned was probably caused by the transmission downshifting to first gear as you came to a stop. With your current issues you may want to consider shifting to neutral as you come to stop.
Thank you!! I will definitely try that next snowfall we have.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I would also suggest driving only in Smart on slick roads, especially with such a dicey issue present. There is NO way that I would continue to drive your car as described with summer tires in the winter. Get the snow tires on NOW, even though it's late; you'll have fresh rubber for next winter. "Smart mode" and winter tires. Don't wait.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
I was thinking your traction issue was specially due to your diff issue, but yeah you're out of your mind driving around in snow on Michelin PS4 tires. First off, they aren't even safe to drive near freezing let alone below it, the trend compound will br hard as a rock below freezing temps. This is where I think KIA made a mistake in Canada, I think the PS4 and PS4S should've been optional with a 4 season tire coming as standard, because to even winter drive the car you have to buy winter tires right out of the gate.

I was thinking your traction issue was specially due to your diff issue, but yeah you're out of your mind driving around in snow on Michelin PS4 tires. First off, they aren't even safe to drive near freezing let alone below it, the trend compound will br hard as a rock below freezing temps. This is where I think KIA made a mistake in Canada, I think the PS4 and PS4S should've been optional with a 4 season tire coming as standard, because to even winter drive the car you have to buy winter tires right out of the gate.
I didn’t know this. I didn’t do much research on the tires themselves; once I saw Michelin I knew they were good and just assumed all seasons would be good enough in the snow. But yah I usually am always on winter tires in the winter - it just happened that the timing of this car plus the differential issue made me pause on getting them now.