kia stinger store

Concerns - Popping/Creaking Noise from Sunroof

siegs7

Remove the wind guard. You will see two bolts in the front of the tracking for the sunroof. Remove them and gently pry up the tracking. Slip a metal washer under the track and replace bolts. This changes the sitting of the track and kills a lot of the noise. I did the glass raise first, it helps 80%, then the washers. She’s pretty quiet. Been about 6 months.
Any special instructions on removing the wind guard and bolts? Just a regular sized washer, and only one is necessary?

Thank you. I anxious to give this a try and be done with messing with it!

runner1

I used 5/16 flat washer. Windgaurs is just screwed down. Pay attention to how you remove it it goes back exactly the same way, very simple

siegs7

I used 5/16 flat washer. Windgaurs is just screwed down. Pay attention to how you remove it it goes back exactly the same way, very simple
Thank you! You may have just saved me from my ongoing frustration and head-ache!

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Makes you wonder how many complaints they had to come up with that idea
I guess the point is they admitted it and dealt with it , Kia , in most cases , denies our problem exists . I was lucky and had my frame replaced early but clearly that was a very expensive fix they were not prepared to roll out ......................

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
I guess the point is they admitted it and dealt with it , Kia , in most cases , denies our problem exists . I was lucky and had my frame replaced early but clearly that was a very expensive fix they were not prepared to roll out ......................
I'm still not convinced a frame/assembly replacement is required to fix most sunroofs either. It could be issues with the sunroof assemblies which I'm sure Kia buys from another sunroof manufacturer. If they could put blame on the manufacturer, they could be reimbursed the parts at least. More than likely there are a few causes but if they would have spent the time to nail them down, they could have a few easy fixes with washers or spacers and minimal effort. I just don't feel they took the time from a corporate level to figure it out. There's always more to the picture but I would think if it were my company and I could make all the decisions, I would take our halo car and take some of the more significant problematic ones from a couple customers, reimburse them one way or another, and use the cars to R&D the problem and roll out fixes. That's just me though.

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Will have to try this soon.. Still have 2-3 weeks before my lease expires.. I have the issue, but since I haven't been driving much and it hasn't been too hot, it hasn't happened too often. But, last few weeks, it's there. If I push UP from the inside, right around the front corner (passenger side), I can make it click. Am going to try it with the roof open, to see if I can reproduce it that way and see where it's clicking. Maybe the metal of the sunroof, and the metal of the car has a slightly different coefficient of expansion, and/or the sunroof channels heat much more, so it expands a bit faster? Maybe thin plastic / felt / rubber washers all around.. I've done a sunroof glass replacement before (Subaru wagon - HUGE piece of glass!), but I've always been afraid to mess with the sunroof tracks.

Also, may have just gotten ANOTHER chip in the windshield - had to already replace it once before the car was 1 year old.. Now, 2-3K miles later, again? And I thought I was having bad luck with screws in tires about 5 years ago..

Nasscar

2500 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
This may have been asked before but are any new (2021) Stinger owners having problems with their sunroofs making noises. I wonder if the design of the sunroof was changed at all in the facelifted model.

Marc Collins

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
This may have been asked before but are any new (2021) Stinger owners having problems with their sunroofs making noises. I wonder if the design of the sunroof was changed at all in the facelifted model.
Watch starting at 10:00.

Nothing has been changed that requires any thought or investment besides the clearly visible items that are being promoted for the new model (e.g., the lager touch screen).

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Watch starting at 10:00.

Nothing has been changed that requires any thought or investment besides the clearly visible items that are being promoted for the new model (e.g., the lager touch screen).
sort of suggests what many of us have said , they didnt do a major revamp for the midlife facelift cuz they are not continuing it ......................as we know and love it .

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
The wagon is not out yet, and knowing the marketing decision-making process, won't be made available in Canada anyway.
it will never get here , the Europeans love them and that's where its being built for