Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Clear cut intake winner?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by GTA Jay, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

I think they drop ship from BMS, though. So that still won't work.

2. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

Does anyone know the diameter of the piping on the Agency power intakes? Looks bigger than K&n for example.

3. BigPlum

BigPlum United States Member

4. P4RTYH4RTY

P4RTYH4RTY United States Newish Member

I just emailed Sal, and he said he is able to sell/ship to CA residents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

If I remember correctly, @Terry@BMS claims that the outlet of the box is a restriction. The piping from the box to the turbo is supposedly OK. It would be interesting if we could better identify and rectify that, in my mind, for those who don't want to hear the intake and blow-off noises. There could be a cheap solution, too. But I've not yet looked into it - winter here!

6. mike27t

mike27t United States Member

7. mike27t

Received the BMS intake yesterday. Fast shipping as usual from Sal. Will be installing this weekend and the k&n typhoon will be listed in the classifieds soon.

8. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

Why the switch

9. mike27t

I wanted the BMS from the get go for cosmetic preferences and to stay consistent with my jb4, but I was having difficulty sourcing one in CA (stricter laws I suppose). I found a K&N and it seems fine and I doubt I will notice any difference compared to the BMS.

10. Sabz

So I actually had a DIY intake system which is great but also got a bms intake... haven’t put it on because it needs powder coating and the cones are much smaller than my DIY.. so I’m going to mess around with my set up and see if I can utilize the piping and shield from bms and somehow use my larger red cones which look really nice against the yellow car ... but i was wondering how the sound is on the smaller cones ? Is it still pretty loud ? My large cones are like jet engine sound haha

11. mike27t

What color are you powder coating the pipes?

Ill share my thoughts once I install the BMS. At a glance, the BMS filters do look smaller compared to the k&n cones. k&n over stock, its noticeably louder, definitely hear a jet like whoosh under WOT, followed by the blow off sound.

12. Sabz

Probably go with yellow on the piping and possible yellow on the shield or maybe a red or black... depends on how my set up works out.. might not even bms stuff.. I want to but it depends how everything fits

13. TwinSnails

TwinSnails United States Active Member

BC760BC8-D55C-466C-932C-5C651B0A2F8D.jpeg D8FEE2BC-6F38-42DD-A47B-FBF854DCCFC6.jpeg 61CEFC68-F1DB-4F6F-B80F-019261F12636.jpeg

Best of both worlds, I’ve had no issues with it.

14. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You just opened an additional "inlet" on the "outside" of the filter housing?

15. TwinSnails

@eflyguy

You got it, opened to the fender side away from the engine to keep cooler temps flowing. Kept low end intact vs the DIY SRI set-up.

Car stays relatively quiet with some additional whistle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Kazz

My impression was that the restriction was on the turbo side of the filter. If you've cut an opening on the turbo side of the filter, you've just opened your turbo up to all kinds of dirt, etc., even water.

Did you find a restriction? Is the outlet side of the box smaller diameter than the inlet? Sorry, I'm just not getting what it is you're trying to tell me.

17. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Active Member

Where he cut the hole still goes through the oem filter first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kazz

Then it doesn't fix what I thought @Terry@BMS was saying is a restriction about the OEM intakes.

19. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Active Member

I think terry said the restriction is not in the pipes but before the intake box so that hole would help with the restriction terry was talking about... that’s what I think at least. Only issue is thing would pull in hotter air under the hood but most of the intakes do that anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TwinSnails

23E5ADAB-BDE2-42B5-AB99-A9F6188666B7.jpeg

The top photo was working on a DIY heatshield, it helped but I can do better and scraped the idea.

If there is any restriction on the turbo side of the box (top half) it’s minimal. There is, however, a noticeable step down on the snorkel side (pre filter) that is a restriction.

The OEM filter looks to have sufficient pleating to hold a descent flow. Someone would need to test that to be 100%. The stock snorkel probably narrows to ~ 2x3.5 inches rectangle. Opening the opposite of the box - in theory - opens immediate available air on initial punch and then keeps cooler IAT’s when moving. I’ve seen identical IAT’s but improved low end power vs the totally open round dry flow SRI design.

What Terry’s design does do is similar, enlarges available free air area for better throttle response compared to the stock airbox. Being that the BMS is totally sealed it make help keep temps closer to the stock airbox as well. The benefit of my alteration gives a descent amount of the positives with very little negative. Throttle response is there, heat soak is pretty much no worse than stock, more flow is available if needed up to the max the stock filters can provide.

The red circled area is a restriction area.

F1F5B75E-1F8A-4239-BB08-CBA8E55130A5.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:29 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted