Bike rack?

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
You guys are wrong if used properly the suction cups will not harm your paint. The suction cup rack is called Seasucker; I've had one for years and used it with all of my road bikes and my mountain bike on a previously owned Black Genesis R Spec, my Black ML 350 and my current white G80. I've never experienced scratches or marks from the suction cups on the windshield, moon roof, roof or trunk... The suction cups come with covers to keep them clean, particulate free and keeps shape integrity. I wipe the area down with a moist microfiber cloth before attaching per recommendations. Would recommend this as a solution. Looking hard at a Stinger GT2 been on the forum researching, lots of great information here. View attachment 16398 View attachment 16398 View attachment 16398 View attachment 16399 View attachment 16399 View attachment 16399 View attachment 16399 and you have to make sure the surface is clean before attaching; I wipe it down with a moist microfiber towel prior.
Welcome!

I will never put anything potentially in the way of the moonroof retracting: CRUNCH! If I am not willing to put the bike in the hatch with the front wheel and seat off, I won't drive somewhere to ride. My wife no longer rides bikes, so having to transport two is not an issue: and in fact, I almost never take a bike anywhere anymore, especially since she quit riding.

SeaSucker racks are the way to go. Single, double, and three bike racks. They're insanely firmly attached, yet easy enough to remove. Small and light enough to toss in the hatch when not using, or keep inside the house in a bag. Easy.

These are not simply suction cups, but serious marine grade vacuum mounts. Seasuckers are now the official racks of the UCI (cycling's international governing body) - tons of team/race follow cars have zillions of bikes on their roofs with seasuckers, driving like absolute maniacs all over the world chasing races.

SeaSucker are pretty widely regarded in the cycling world. I've seen them used a lot of high-end cars. You could probably arrange to have it mounts only to the rear window and the sunroof glass, so you wouldn't even need to touch the paint.

Chark

I got a trailer hitch added to my 2012 Optima from U-Haul and bought this bike rack: https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cros...60755&sr=8-6&keywords=trailer+hitch+bike+rack

It unbolts quickly, so I never leave it on my car unless I'm hauling my bike.

I checked, but U-Haul doesn't have any hitches available yet. They are offering a free lifetime warranty if you are near their Phoenix shop where they will custom fabricate one to use as a template for building them for sale. You could also buy through the Kia Accessories page and have your local dealership install.

If you were to go the trunk mount or suction cup mount, I would suggest placing paint protection film between the mounting pads and the paint. Better safe than sorry!

I do in fact now have a SeaSucker in my personal possession rather than simply having sold bunches of them to people / shown a ton of people how to use them.

I'll grab a photo or two of a bike on the roof via the SeaSucker this weekend. Driving from Orlando-ish to Atlanta with one on the roof next week.

Here are a couple of photos of the Stinger with my Seasucker Mini Bomber 2 bike rack on there. I only brought one bike on this trip, as it was a one way move for this bicycle. Left one behind in FL to ride for the next couple months before moving to Atlanta full time.

The front portion of this particular SeaSucker is four big vacuum cups, and they're placed in this situation at basically the front edge of the glass of the sunroof. The rear portion is just one suction cup and it's on the roof. I think it would be possible to arrange this such that both sets of suction cups are on glass, but I'm not 100% sure of that, and it would depend on wheelbase of the bicycles in question.

If you do go this route, you definitely need to use the included velcro strap to wrap around the crank arm and the chainstay of the bicycle to prevent the cranks from spinning around and contacting the roof. I didn't with this bicycle because this one is a fixed gear bicycle, and therefore if the wheel was locked into position, the cranks wouldn't spin, but that's not the case for the majority of bicycles out there.

There are also other attachments to carry the front wheel, although I didn't use one. The whole thing comes on and off in probably about the same time it would take to do a hitch mounted rack, maybe slightly less. It's way simpler, and way smaller, however, and it fits back into its box to stick in a closet when not using it. The single bike carrier is even smaller and easier to use. The three bike carrier is a bit bigger, and more of a bear to move around by nature of being even wider.
I7NeBxn - Imgur.jpg brSVsgw - Imgur.jpg

Chucky

South Carolina
Here are a couple of photos of the Stinger with my Seasucker Mini Bomber 2 bike rack on there. I only brought one bike on this trip, as it was a one way move for this bicycle. Left one behind in FL to ride for the next couple months before moving to Atlanta full time.

The front portion of this particular SeaSucker is four big vacuum cups, and they're placed in this situation at basically the front edge of the glass of the sunroof. The rear portion is just one suction cup and it's on the roof. I think it would be possible to arrange this such that both sets of suction cups are on glass, but I'm not 100% sure of that, and it would depend on wheelbase of the bicycles in question.

If you do go this route, you definitely need to use the included velcro strap to wrap around the crank arm and the chainstay of the bicycle to prevent the cranks from spinning around and contacting the roof. I didn't with this bicycle because this one is a fixed gear bicycle, and therefore if the wheel was locked into position, the cranks wouldn't spin, but that's not the case for the majority of bicycles out there.

There are also other attachments to carry the front wheel, although I didn't use one. The whole thing comes on and off in probably about the same time it would take to do a hitch mounted rack, maybe slightly less. It's way simpler, and way smaller, however, and it fits back into its box to stick in a closet when not using it. The single bike carrier is even smaller and easier to use. The three bike carrier is a bit bigger, and more of a bear to move around by nature of being even wider.
View attachment 22567 View attachment 22568

Thanks, I will be using my Seasucker on the Stinger when I'm carrying too much stuff to put the bike in the back seat or hatch. For years I've been taking off the front wheel and putting a Velo Sock around the frame, fork and rear wheel and placing it in the back seat, the rear wheel is behind the passenger seat in the footwell; and I hook the bars around the back seat head rest keeping the fork off of the seats. Road bikes fit surprisingly well here and the bike is out of the elements and safely secured inside the locked car, nobody even knows its there and I still have space back there for the rear wheel in a wheel bag and a backpack or duffel bag Bike in Stinger.jpg

basysmith

Melbourne
Northshore rack on a Kia Stinger.

That's something I couldn't find pictures of... obviously because no one has done it yet ;)

20190420_174015.jpg

20190420_174031.jpg

20190420_174057.jpg

20190420_174048.jpg

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
That's scary as hell!!!

Hello everyone. I bought my stinger about a month ago. I am not yet an expert about the car. However, I have been hauling bicycles (being an ex-amateur bicycle racer) and canoes, on top on my cars for decades and feel competent to address this issue.
I used to use a Thule carrier on top of my BMW, which I recently replaced with the stinger. My old Thule rack then went onto my wife's Mini Cooper.

Thule makes the best roof racks I have ever used (I also had a Yakima brand, and a homemade of earlier vehicles). Friends have other brands. Thule now make hardware to mount racks onto a stinger, which I have not yet used. (so says their website fit page)
The roof is the best place to transport a bicycle. Fork mount. Very secure. Bikes are up and away from road spray, compared to bumper or trunk.
I would not mount anything on the trunk/hatch lid. It appears to be made of plastic.

I cannot imagine the Thule rack towers impacting the sun roof operation.

Remember the bikes are up there before you go under something low. I use a sign on my dashboard to remind if bicycles are mounted above me.

If you don't know how to remove/install a front wheel, take your bicycle into your livingroom and figure it out. Once you figure it out it only takes about 30 seconds or so. It is something you need to know how to do.

You can also use your Thule roof racks to haul long items such as canoes and ladders. Use the front and rear towing eyes to tie down the front and rear of the load. A screw-in tow eye is already include with the spare tire kit. Buy an extra tow eye.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Welcome, @Bill B. Now that is what I call a useful introduction: giving helpful advice! :thumbup:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars and wind fairing with Yakima Highroad bike mount.
That doesn't look like it clears the opening sunroof!?

OnTheRoad

Southeast US
That doesn't look like it clears the opening sunroof!?
Yea I figured that might not work on the GT1 or 2. I'd be happy to take some measurements if anyone is interested.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Oh, you have a GT. The reflections under that rack make it look like you have a sunroof. Really hard to tell with the dark Panthera Metal. Well then, go for it. You aren't going to do something stupid with the sunroof you don't have.:D

Shrikecorp

Sustaining Member
Seattle, WA, USA
Oh, you have a GT. The reflections under that rack make it look like you have a sunroof. Really hard to tell with the dark Panthera Metal. Well then, go for it. You aren't going to do something stupid with the sunroof you don't have.:D
Can't quite picture accidentally opening the sunroof, not being given to wildly flailing about above my head.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Can't quite picture accidentally opening the sunroof, not being given to wildly flailing about above my head.
Just consider being forgetful whilst daydreaming on a stupendously fine day. If you're one to use the sunroof a lot (I am), then it is not only within the realm of possibility, it will happen sooner or later. Gah! :eek:

M'Kehyah

Dayton, OH
It does happen! I had my kayaks (dirty with sand/mud from water) and I opened the sunroof on my previous car (out of habit).
D'oh! ><
Sand and mud blowing into the car...

sigh.