• PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
kia stinger store

Australia-Specific Kia Stinger Discussion

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
I've got the Contis too and after nearly 25k there's still plenty of rubber so I would hope to get 40k as well. I believe the Michelins are softer therefore will wear faster.
@Stinger GT SS can give you a heads up on an alternative.
I thought you would’ve had more on it by now. Mine were ok at the 20,000 service, still not bad at the 30,000, but have really worn over the last 10,000

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
I thought you would’ve had more on it by now.
Last decent run was Gold Coast in January. These days a trip to the city counts as decent. I can drive to local club for a Crownie or two in 3 minutes but walking is only 6 minutes otherwise she just sits in basement and gets dusted regularly.

Cashie

Just curious how those of you with the 2019/2020 models feel about the Michelin tyres? My 2018 came with Continentals, I’ve got 40,000km on them but they’re worn and need replacing. A guy I spoke to at Tyrepower the other day told me he has a stinger owner who buys tyres off him and is lucky to get 25,000 out of the Michelins. He did say it was a company car so the owner didn’t care about looking after the tyres, but 25,000 seems poor for expensive so called performance tyres. I was thinking of putting them on mine until I heard this. So I’m curious about the experience of other Australian owners.
I've had both on my car and I feel that the Michelins are far better handling tyres than the Continentals.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
How many km did you get out of each?
I got only 27,000km out of my Contentals, like you the fronts wore on the edges badly. I changed to Michellin ps4 and noticed the turning in to be much smoother but the ride is not as smooth as the contis. I to was a Fan of Potenzas which i had on my previous car they lasted 43,000kms.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Just curious how those of you with the 2019/2020 models feel about the Michelin tyres? My 2018 came with Continentals, I’ve got 40,000km on them but they’re worn and need replacing. A guy I spoke to at Tyrepower the other day told me he has a stinger owner who buys tyres off him and is lucky to get 25,000 out of the Michelins. He did say it was a company car so the owner didn’t care about looking after the tyres, but 25,000 seems poor for expensive so called performance tyres. I was thinking of putting them on mine until I heard this. So I’m curious about the experience of other Australian owners.
I got 25,000kms out of the Continentals, a lot of the short life was due to the factory wheel alignment toe-in on the front was too much.
In my research for replacements I looked at Bridgestone (had Adrenalin on my SS they were expensive & only lasted 20k), Hankook & Michelin.
In the end I went with Falken FK510, made in Japan (also had them, FK453 on my SS after the BS) IMO they are a good all round performance tyre, I’m now at 41,500kms & as a daily driver they don’t disappoint, they are wearing extremely well, have a good ride quality, no road noise & built in rim guard.
FWIW, they were also Wheels 2018 tyre test winner of the year
Another plus with the Falken you can upsize in width & keep OE wheels eg: you can get Front 235/40/19 & Rear 265/35/19 without any fitment issues at all.
Just my opinion, but have a chat to your Tyrepower guy about them as well, I know a member here based in Newcastle went the Falkens & got them through Tyrepower for about $1100 fitted ($500 cheaper than PS4s) & stated “they feel the same as the 4s so far”.

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
I would’ve liked more than 40,000 out of them, can’t say I corner hard, at least not all the time lol but the fronts are worn on the outside edges quite badly. Downside to staggered tyres and not being able to rotate them. I ran Potenzas on my old Commodore and got anywhere between 50-60,000km out of them and drove it just as hard as I drive the Stinger. I’m looking at the Continental ContiSport 5, Michelin PilotSport 4, or Bridgestone Potenza. I was quoted about $1424 for the Continentals, the Michelins were $415 each for the front and he said between about $450-$500 each for the rear. I’m still looking around
Ouch. Pricey.

Flameangel

2500 Posts Club!
Geelong, Victoria
Iv'e done just over 22,000 kms, at the 20,000 service they did say the tyres are good, have good tread ( have the Michelins ) however my rear tyres are wearing more than the front. Got a look from hubby and a comment " that's because of the way you take off at the lights " :sneaky:
Had a wheel alignment/ balance done so that should help because as we know they are out from factory.

davy gravy

Newish Member
Hi all,

I'm happy with the fitted PS4, only 3 months 3k in, & have them on my other vehicle (M3), & like Nasscar says you look at ~ $1500 for full set, though they can be had cheaper if you can plan, but that doesnt always happen. I had a piece of metal in my P0's that made a tow & complete change out a necessity.

I'm looking at side to side swap & maybe balance alignment @ 10k service, as I'd like to get 40k out of em. If so the money saved would go from PS4 to PS4S.

BTW still loving the Bi-Modal fuse pull, & the sound didn't even register with an unscheduled chat with the NSW Police (still think he just wanted to check out the Stinger lol).

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
D
I got 25,000kms out of the Continentals, a lot of the short life was due to the factory wheel alignment toe-in on the front was too much.
In my research for replacements I looked at Bridgestone (had Adrenalin on my SS they were expensive & only lasted 20k), Hankook & Michelin.
In the end I went with Falken FK510, made in Japan (also had them, FK453 on my SS after the BS) IMO they are a good all round performance tyre, I’m now at 41,500kms & as a daily driver they don’t disappoint, they are wearing extremely well, have a good ride quality, no road noise & built in rim guard.
FWIW, they were also Wheels 2018 tyre test winner of the year
Another plus with the Falken you can upsize in width & keep OE wheels eg: you can get Front 235/40/19 & Rear 265/35/19 without any fitment issues at all.
Just my opinion, but have a chat to your Tyrepower guy about them as well, I know a member here based in Newcastle went the Falkens & got them through Tyrepower for about $1100 fitted ($500 cheaper than PS4s) & stated “they feel the same as the 4s so far”.
Iv'e done just over 22,000 kms, at the 20,000 service they did say the tyres are good, have good tread ( have the Michelins ) however my rear tyres are wearing more than the front. Got a look from hubby and a comment " that's because of the way you take off at the lights " :sneaky:
Had a wheel alignment/ balance done so that should help because as we know they are out from factory.
As your hubby said Flame, doing burn outs at every set of lights really reduces the life of your tyres. :rolleyes:

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
So I got the new tyres yesterday. Ended up replacing the original Continental ContiSport 4 with ContiSport 5. Two reasons, firstly cost, I got them cheaper at the place I went to than what others had quoted me for either Continental or Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Secondly and most importantly they were in stock and ready to be fitted. I went to Tyrepower, and they couldn’t source the Michelins in my size, or Bridgestone Potenza for that matter. Several places including my Kia dealership who offered me tyres at my 40,000km service last week said they couldn’t source Michelin. It’s a combination of delays from Covid, and the wharfies strike that has been going on (it may be finished now). A friend of mine recently ordered Bridgestone through a different tyre shop only to be told on the day of fitting that they couldn’t get them.

Good luck to any of you that need tyres in Australia at the moment, be prepared you may not be able to get Michelin tyres for a while, hopefully it won’t be long but there is definitely a supply chain issue at the moment.

They also did a wheel alignment which is the first one it’s had since I bought it. Turns out the alignment from the factory was out which partially explained the significant wear on the outside edges of the front tyres. From inside the vehicle it couldn’t be noticed as it drove dead straight, no shudder etc, but the tyres told a different story. Unfortunately they didn’t tell that story until late in the game. Anyway prior to the alignment it always had a tendency to pull slightly one way then the other when you booted it off the line which was apparently due to the the alignment being out by almost the same on left and right but in opposing directions so it was counter balancing itself to a degree. Since the alignment that doesn’t happen which is a bonus.

Timing couldn’t be better either as it’s pouring rain at the moment so at least I know I’ll have some grip and won’t have to nurse it like I have the last 2,000 or so km while I was milking every last bit of life out of the old tyres.

Last edited:

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
So I got the new tyres yesterday. Ended up replacing the original Continental ContiSport 4 with ContiSport 5. Two reasons, firstly cost, I got them cheaper at the place I went to than what others had quoted me for either Continental or Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Secondly and most importantly they were in stock and ready to be fitted. I went to Tyrepower, and they couldn’t source the Michelins in my size, or Bridgestone Potenza for that matter. Several places including my Kia dealership who offered me tyres at my 40,00km service last week said they couldn’t source Michelin. It’s a combination of delays from Covid, and the wharfies strike that has been going on (it may be finished now). A friend of mine recently ordered Bridgestone through a different tyre shop only to be told on the day of fitting that they couldn’t get them.

Good luck to any of you that need tyres in Australia at the moment, be prepared you may not be able to get Michelin tyres for a while, hopefully it won’t be long but there is definitely a supply chain issue at the moment.

They also did a wheel alignment which is the first one it’s had since I bought it. Turns out the alignment from the factory was out which partially explained the significant wear on the outside edges of the front tyres. From inside the vehicle it couldn’t be noticed as it drove dead straight, no shudder etc, but the tyres told a different story. Unfortunately they didn’t tell that story until late in the game. Anyway prior to the alignment it always had a tendency to pull slightly one way then the other when you booted it off the line which was apparently due to the the alignment being out by almost the same on left and right but in opposing directions so it was counter balancing itself to a degree. Since the alignment that doesn’t happen which is a bonus.

Timing couldn’t be better either as it’s pouring rain at the moment so at least I know I’ll have some grip and won’t have to nurse it like I have the last 2,000 or so km while I was milking every last bit of life out of the old tyres.
Interesting insight into tyre supply & availability. Do you get any noticeable road noise with the Conti 5.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
40,000km out of your contis was a job well done i could only get 27,000. From what ive experienced and read here the back Lh was out of toe from the factory mostly significantly.

I have the michelins now the steering feel is lighter as is the turn in. But i feel the contis maybe be softer? Gave a smoother ride. (Imho).

Dave B

Newish Member
Because of LOCKDOWN DANS tight restrictions here in Melb, I have only been able to travel 3oookm since purchasing my Stinger GT new in March. Noticed the outside of the Drivers front tire wearing, so visited my local Pedders and found out that the drivers front and rear were out.

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
Interesting insight into tyre supply & availability. Do you get any noticeable road noise with the Conti 5.
Only driven it home from the tyre shop yesterday, and to and from work today, so about an hour & a half all up. Haven’t noticed any more noise than usual, no different to the old Conti 4 that Kia put on it at the factory.

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
40,000km out of your contis was a job well done i could only get 27,000. From what ive experienced and read here the back Lh was out of toe from the factory mostly significantly.

I have the michelins now the steering feel is lighter as is the turn in. But i feel the contis maybe be softer? Gave a smoother ride. (Imho).
Guys at the tyre shop said the ContiSport and the PilotSport are almost the same, Michelin will cost a bit more, but the wear and grip etc is pretty much the same and they’re about as soft as each other. I was interested in the Michelins, but in the end it came down to supply and demand.

Coast GT

1000 Posts Club!
Central Coast NSW
Because of LOCKDOWN DANS tight restrictions here in Melb, I have only been able to travel 3oookm since purchasing my Stinger GT new in March. Noticed the outside of the Drivers front tire wearing, so visited my local Pedders and found out that the drivers front and rear were out.
Guys at the tyre shop said it was quite common for brand new cars to hit the road with bad wheel alignment. You’d think they’d get it right, but it comes down to being a production line and just pumping them out. I’m guessing the low mileage on the Continental tyres from the 2018 model Stingers probably has more to do with bad wheel alignment rather than poor quality tyres. I’m surprised it hasn’t been reported in a similar way with the Michelin tyres on the 2019-2020 models.

As for lockdown Dan’s restrictions, I’ve got no doubt it’s tough for you guys down there but at least you’re all still alive to be able to complain about it. If Victoria and other States did what some politicians are suggesting we’d end up like a lot of other countries with ridiculously high case numbers and deaths to match. Hard as it is the point of lockdown is to limit the spread and caseloads so as not to overwhelm frontline services like hospitals which have limited ICU beds etc. The system wouldn’t cope. That’s why NSW locked down early too, only difference is we’ve managed to avoid a second wave and just have pockets here and there. It won’t take much to lock us down again if the numbers spike.

Dave B

Newish Member
Maybe Sydney avoided the second wave because they did not have Dans hotel quarantine fiasco. Melbournes death rate has probably dropped because we have over 800 less old people to infect.
This is the last comment that I will post on this subject.

Flameangel

2500 Posts Club!
Geelong, Victoria
Guys at the tyre shop said the ContiSport and the PilotSport are almost the same, Michelin will cost a bit more, but the wear and grip etc is pretty much the same and they’re about as soft as each other. I was interested in the Michelins, but in the end it came down to supply and demand.
Do you know how much Michelins are ? I think they maybe around $400 or so ?