Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Velossa Tech Designs Big Mouth Intake Snorkel: Initial Review

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by DaJackson, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

Definitely diggin these. Looks like it should help funnel some more fresh air and help with the JB4 tune.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VelossaTech

VelossaTech United States Member Authorized Vendor

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

No worries with this one for the stinger....ive got a vortex snorkel on the vette which is only a few inches off the road...and never have sucked up any water...don't drive thru puddles or hurricanes and you will be fine :) Wash

• Like Like x 1
  4. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

Looks great. Ordered two sets!

Would be nice to have an option of a filter bypass kit for k&n setup for track setup. Suck cold into the turbos directly from behind the grill

5. Rango

Rango United States 1000 Posts Club!

I agree on no problems with water ingress. I have a Jonny Tig CAI setup but did not install the grill flow. This grill intake option looks much better considering it curved and will protect your filter better from debris and water. With my JT filter facing forward, that is even more protection from water.

20181003_184229.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

That's a large filter

7. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

You can keep the radiator shroud but only if you cut two large holes in them.

8. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

That’s the plan

9. Tonkabob

I would go that route too. Using two large drilled holes and connecting the holes with a hand saw is easy. 20180902_081108.jpg

Removing the stock snorkle and making hole even without the big mouth snorkle should help.

10. DaJackson

Because of the size of the snorkle I’ll probably need to cut a U shape out of the top of the shroud. Nothing a Dremel can’t handle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StruttinSoul

StruttinSoul Canada Newish Member

Let me know how it works out for you - I was kind of waiting for someone to do that before deciding to buy these since I wanted to keep the shroud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

So what added benefit (other than looks) would this Big Mouth snorkel add over and above the cutting of holes in the factory shroud? Wouldn't the shape of the factory shroud help funnel the air into the intake in basically the same way?

13. Tonkabob

You would get a bit of a ram effect with the big mouth and less turbulent airflow. Theoretically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. VelossaTech

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DaJackson

Sorry for the delay in getting this written up.

This weekend I installed the snorkels which was fairly easy even with trying to save as much of the shroud as possible. The hardest part was removing the clips for the wireing harness as there isn’t much room to get a tool in there to pry them out but that took no more than 5 min.

I taped everything up when removing the bumper to try and keep from having any paint issues.
    60964254-04F5-4C46-A359-92F9C2686758.jpeg

After getting the bumper off I found some interesting things stuck to my intercooler including this butt and a dragonfly.

639FFA11-A4BE-4DF2-A992-B1720525A723.jpeg

Here you can see the stock snorkle and how it comes up from behind the radiator shroud. This is when I realized that saving and of the upper scoops wasn’t going to happen. However there are still guides for the lower half of the radiator that I wanted to save.

F02BA81F-238C-4274-9172-F109C9E03B0C.jpeg

With the shroud out this is where I cut it to retain the lower parts. This keeps two of the bolts per side so it’s still firmly attached. It also keeps all the mounting holes for the wireing harness that runs across the front.

To cut the shroud I used a combo of snips and a Dremel. The plastic is fairly brittle so the snips would cause the plastic to crack a bit further than where it was cut. This can’t be seen when the bumper is on so no need to make it look pretty.

D9021A51-EB2F-4B5A-8AB7-B10FD0043E18.jpeg

Here you can see the snorkels installed with the lower shroud

B2648193-FE22-49EF-8616-9AA9609B2F0C.jpeg

Close up of the shroud and the snorkels.

1F2E3D3D-0B8E-4108-B623-039C56DE898C.jpeg

Bumper reattached

60C3BBD7-21FB-4638-B8EA-4775CE91A46A.jpeg

I wanted to do some testing of air temps before and after install. Unfortunately I started baseline testing on Saturday where it was about 85 degrees and by the time I got the readings it had dropped to 78. And Sunday after the snorkels were installed it was in the lower 90s.

To do the testing I hooked up my FireBoard that I use for smoking with 3 ambient temperature probes. One in the duct, one in the K&N air box behind the filter and one on the other side of the air box in the engine bay.

E04C3F81-41A5-4C87-99C0-BF8E3B1EA0D2.jpeg

Here is a view of the probe in the duct from the front of the car with the snorkel off.

CB77035D-2455-4A4A-BAD8-0CF275596183.jpeg

Here is a read out of the temperatures over a 20 min drive. As you can see the car started out at about 125-130 degrees. As soon as the car started moving at about 45mph the duct and filter temps drop below 100 degrees.

Each of the spikes is where I stopped for a light or traffic. All three temps would increase but as soon as the car started moving the duct and filter temps would immediately drop while the engine bay would slowly drop. Cruising at about 55mph the duct and filter temps got very close to ambient temp.

Also for those that thought the K&N mistakes didn’t do enough to block engine heat, you can see the filter is seeing ~30 degree cooler temps than the engine bay. The two probes were about 2” apart with just the K&N heat shield between them.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 5.54.51 PM.png

In addition to seeing he temperature changes just looking at the design installed you can see how there will be much more air traveling through the snorkel and over the filter which will help overcome heat soak.

Also I drove though a bit of a rain shower on the way home yesterday and the air box was dry. There was still water on the hood and grill as well as a few drops on the mouth of the snorkel but none in the air box.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. hummus

hummus United States Member

Are the turbos ingesting any additional air versus the stock air guides? Seems like maybe a pressure difference at the turbo inlet would be interesting; any measurements there before and after smoothing the pathway with the snorkels?

Also would be interesting to know if the pressure changes behind the grille when installing the snorkels; if it drops, would that mean that the snorkels are capable of guiding more air than the aerodynamics of the car can supply?

17. VelossaTech

18. hummus

hummus United States Member

Interesting stuff, appreciate the info. What I'm wondering is, under what conditions are the snorkels removing a constraint to deliver this benefit? If the factory pieces are not flowing the available maximum from the area behind the grille, does that mean those who don't have snorkels will have pressure build up there, and if not, where does the pressure go? I gather you have analyzed the airflow in that area when placing the openings for the snorkels.

With the snorkels, would you say that the car benefits more from increased flow rate or a reduction in turbulence?

The concept is clever, to be sure, and I have no reason to doubt they are worthwhile. I am just curious about the science behind them.

Also, when you refer to the compressor as undersized, are you referring specifically to the 3.3, or the 2.0T as well?

Thanks again and best wishes on this venture. Creating this specialized product for a small market, it's clear you are a genuine enthusiast, so hopefully you will inspire others.

19. VelossaTech

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  20. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ah Yes....the ol pinwheel ,and blowing on it from different angles can speed it up or slow it down...hmmmm maybe even reverse it?....shows my age....lol
    have todays kids even seen a pinwheel? Lots of drag and airflow stuff going on with a pinwheel....pucker up and blow :) Wash

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted