Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Turbo Waste Gate Screech

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Jbug, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Active Member

Hear it all the time at shut down, especially if parked in the garage. Passenger side only.

2. Blackghost3

Blackghost3 United States Newish Member

So has anyone confirmed if this was a normal sound or not? I'm new to the thread and my car does the same sound and I've had it for 3 weeks now. My wife has one too and hers doesn't make that sound.

3. CaliStinger

CaliStinger United States Newish Member

I'm dropping the car off at the dealership on monday for this. Both side of my turbos has been changed and the squeak is still present. I have a case number and kia rep looking over the situation now. So I will update in a week or two and see what kia is gonna do next.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackghost3

Thanks for the reply Cali. Please let me know what they tell you. They want me to bring mine on the 18th, but if I don't have to because of it being not a big problem I rather not take the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MackyGio

MackyGio Canada Active Member

I've noticed my car being sluggish. I have it a good few floors and all I heard was a screeching sound. I'm assuming it's the wastegate. If so, I'm guessing I'm not building boost which is why it's not picking up?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BeckyStinger

BeckyStinger Member

I talked to Kia about this too. So a kia field tech came down check the car and wrote on her notes that the sound is normal. She supposably said that she's heard this from many stingers and its not the same sound from the first time i took the car in which is wrong its exactly the same sound because i kept videos of the problem. I've recorded videos of the sound every time i hear it and i do this to provide evidence to the dealership because i know sometimes its hard to recreate certain problems. The fact that the dealership couldn't recreate the sound and for the kia field tech to say its not the same sound from the first time i took it in even with all the videos i have provided is ridiculous. Just because they heard the sound from other stingers does not make it normal. Ive spoken to other members and they do not have this sound and some member work for kia and even one member has two stingers his and hers. Some guy from kia called me to follow up on the case and he asked me what do i want form kia? I was like i want reimbursement for the car rental they were suppose to provide me that i had to pay for out of my own pocket and a explanation why would they say its normal all of a sudden after the 3rd attempt. If it was normal there would be no need to replace both turbo assembly. So few days later he called back and said they would reimburse me for the car rental and 3 months car payment of the amount of time my car spent at the dealership for the problem. I was reading the form he emailed me to sign for the reimbursement and notice this is pretty much a release form that if signed saying i agree for the amount and i cannot take legal actions against kia. Its pretty much kia saying here's the money and stfu. He wanted me to sign this asap like the payoff he sent it to me without explaining the legality of the form and agreement just the amount. I have not signed the release form for the reimbursement and have talked to a lemon lawyer attorney and he said i have case after he looked at all the receipts for all the work that was done for the problem and the amount of time the car spent at the dealership for the problem. So im moving forward with the lemon lawyer and see where it goes from there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Let us know how that goes, my car makes this noise and always has at shutdown. I've not noticed any performance issues from it and it hasn't bothered me enough to escalate with my dealer.

8. Manaz

Manaz Australia 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You may get a brief "whistle" as the wastegate cracks open (or closes) and high speed exhaust gases pass through a very small gap. But there should be no sound of metal on metal. It's hard to tell what the noise is in the videos I've heard - but I know I've never heard it on any other turbo car (and I've heard plenty).

9. CaliStinger

CaliStinger United States Newish Member

Someone on the Facebook group page posted same problem but his dealership the tech actually showed him the old turbo assembly to show that theres no way to lubricate wastegate because its electric.

10. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

Can anyone says definitively that this sound is NOT good and could cause some type of negative effect later on?

• Like Like x 1
  11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Negative. My guide is if the noises a car makes are consistently "quirky" to that vehicle. Everything works as it's supposed to and nothing is obtrusive. I wouldn't put up with a continual "running" noise, especially a really noticeable one. But one that only manifests when starting up or shutting off, I wouldn't let that worry/bother me. Now, if said-noise started to get worse/louder, that would change everything and I'd be in getting it checked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Metalmania82

Agreed. I just want to know if there's anything negative about it, short or long term, other than the noise.

13. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Just the way our cars vocalize love for us.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blackghost3

I agree. I had that noise for a while now and I haven't seen any effects from it. It is weird that it is only the right side.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blackghost3

Sorry passenger side :)

16. Metalmania82

Maybe I'll wait to have it done later on with some more miles on it. I would rather not have everything torn apart if possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted