Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

The Stinger Fuel Thread

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Sensibly Spirited Driver, Apr 20, 2018.

Which fuel do you normally use?

1. Premium

47 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. Standard

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Diesel

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Sensibly Spirited Driver

Sensibly Spirited Driver United States Active Member

Every major chain in America is "toptier". All "toptier" means is that they put detergents in the gas to help remove the sludge/residue that ethanol (corn) creates in your engine. It sounds a lot better than "Ethanol residue remover". It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the gas, it's just a marketing jargon for adding detergents. The gas at any busy Arco should be okay. You are, however, more likely to get gas with deposits in it, and the quality of the gas matters more for engines that run on premium.

Gas that doesn't have ethanol in it to begin with is ideal, as it doesn't need detergents to counteract the damage ethanol does (it's corrosive and wears down rubber/gaskets as well as creating residue/sludge in the engine). If you got ethanol free gas, it wouldn't be "toptier" because it wouldn't have detergents. However, you do raise a good point about the effectiveness of marketing jargon. The labelling of "premium" is another applicable example. A car deisgned specifically for 87 will get no benefit from 91+, it's just a waste of money, and yet many consumers think it's better for their car because of the name. For cars designed for 91+, that's different. The Stinger has a high tech engine that can run either, and using "premium" is more for a performance boost and better MPG.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. GTB

GTB United States Active Member

Delete

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. GTB

GTB United States Active Member

93 octane + a sip of e85 makes about e15 e20. You’ll make more power... and you’ll feel it. I’ve ran it in my BMW. Most cars will adjust with success. Don’t push it though. Everyone is so scared to try things that have been around forever lol.

4. andrew tay

andrew tay Australia Member

I accidentally put in 91 octane fuel in v6 stinger. To my surprise its now drinking 1 litre less per 100kms. Expect the other way around. Anyone else experience that?

5. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Say Whaaat? You can use the net and find ethanol free gas..which I did and the station is about one mile from me....found it two weeks ago...ive been using 93 with ethanol with 4 gals of e85 ....so when I started using the 93 without ethanol and btw their were tier one stickers on the pump...the car pulls harder without the use of 4 gals of corn....I still put 2 gals of corn in the tank on fill ups...im running a JB4 tune on map3 and the car is a beast....93 ethanol free is worth finding, and yes it does have detergents :) Wash

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

No, they are not. Most are, but not all. My closest high-volume brand in the metro Atlanta area is not on this list, and has lower prices than many others in my area.

TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands

The detergents added to top-tier gasoline have absolutely nothing to do with ethanol mixed into the fuel. Non-ethanol fuel sold by approved top-tier brands also have those same detergents. It was designed to help reduce deposits from combustion which are not influenced by whether there is ethanol mixed in with the fuel. They help keep both the combustion chamber and intake valves clean - although the latter fails for direct injection, which is why some manufacturers are also adding port injection to their direct injection engines, and why crank vent filtering is becoming more mainstream (aftermarket and the occasional manufacturer).

This is absolutely incorrect. Combustion deposits which detergents are designed to address are not related to whether or not there is ethanol in the fuel. The components in this vehicle are designed to work with fuel containing ethanol and are not damaged by it. It absolutely DOES cause issues in engines that were not designed for it, however - especially in smaller engines used in outdoor maintenance equipment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

No. I think I ran a couple gallons of 91 when I couldnt find 93 octane.

8. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

Most gas at the pumps has ethanol. Hard to avoid. I've never read anything from KIA that you cant have ethanol.

9. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

10. Jimmer

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snatchell

Snatchell United States Member

Here is a nice app for the Apple devices to find ethanol free gas...
    ‎Pure Gas
    Very Very nice!

12. Snatchell

Snatchell United States Member

I'd be adding a bottle of Chevron Techron and possibly a bottle of Octane Booster if I was filling up with anything less than 91 octane from an "Unbranded" pump. Some, as you will see with the app, are 93 octane from Shell... Now that would be kick ass! :)

13. Jimmer

There are 126 stations in Utah that have pure gas available. A huge percentage only offer it in 88.

Only 20 stations in Utah offer 90 or higher in pure gas and none of them are close enough to my area to go to regularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted