Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Strong smell of windshield washer fluid

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by RockyBikeRider, Feb 12, 2018.

1. G-772061

G-772061 Guest

I have a 2020 kia Sportage!Windshield smell inside.My 2018 got the same problem.I did check everythink under the wiper grill, all the hoses were ok,no leak there.I think its they cabin filter that are no good.I will go at the canadian tire and try their filter.

2. G-756235

G-756235 Guest

We are in the process of buying a car and test drove several over the last two days. We found that windshield washer smell came into the cabin, immediately after spraying, when we tested the Kia Sportage, the Hyundai Kona, and the Hyundai Tucson. It is a factory issue for sure.

3. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Active Member

This happens in most vehicles because the windshield usually drains directly into the cowl, where the cabin air intake is. I suspect the reason automakers have never addressed this is beancounters in accounting won't allow it because the minor annoyance has never hurt sales. An activated carbon filter mitigates it somewhat, but not fully.

4. Fredman

Fredman United States Member

Mine also. Seems to be another stinger oddity. If I am stopped while using, it almost makes me gag.
    Definitely turn recirculation off and only use while underway. Basically undetectable at highway speeds with mine

5. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Is it that common? I've owned a couple newer Toyota's and Audi's and have never smelled the washer fluid in the cabin. The Audi's even had the headlamp washers which douse your hood in washer fluid and still, no smell. I think this is more a weakness with Kia's climate control system as I get more outside smells in cabin than i've ever experienced in another vehicle.

I also replaced my cabin air filter at 8,000 km's because it was saturated in dust. I can stretch this in other vehicles to twice that duration and then some. Seems like the whole system isn't up to the standards of other manufacturers.

6. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

The OEM washer fluid smells like Dior Suavage.

7. mattEG

mattEG Canada Newish Member

The OEM washer fluid in mine smelled like it had glycol in it. Once I ran through the first few litres I stopped worrying about having a coolant leak...

• Like Like x 1
  8. G-312820

G-312820 Guest

The solution evaporates and the slight vapor gets sucked in with the outside air. I sure wish all I needed to worry about was a little odor. This stuff is not like auto coolant (Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted