Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Strong smell of windshield washer fluid

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by RockyBikeRider, Feb 12, 2018.

1. RockyBikeRider

RockyBikeRider Canada Newish Member

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone else has this issue. I can’t use the windshield washer spray without a strong smell permeating the cabin for the next while. I presume the fluid is being pushed by the wiper blade into the air intake, where it is vaporizing into the cabin. I’d rather not have my family breathing that in all the time (I live in Canada so it’s a pretty common event at this time of year). I’m 50 years old, and this is the first car I’ve had that I’ve even noticed the smell - and it is obnoxiously strong. I don’t know what is different in the Stinger, as I think it’s quite common to have an air intake in the wiper gutter.

At any rate, I’m just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Me too, it’s an odd problem.

3. Clearly Canadian

Where are you located, Rocky?

4. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

Kia's cabin filters are crap , wait till youre behind a diesel truck !

5. Luminary

Luminary United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

Yes, I have noticed this on mine as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. RockyBikeRider

Guelph, Ontario. You?

• Like Like x 1
  7. RockyBikeRider

Yesterday I used a closed-cell foam window tape to form a dam around the air intakes located below the windscreen (one intake in the center and one on the passenger side). It seemed to manage to keep the washer fluid away from the air intakes, however there is still a strong smell inside the cabin after use.

I'm now wondering if the washer fluid is somehow leaking into the ventilation system elsewhere. In other words, there is a faulty or incorrectly installed part.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clearly Canadian

Edmonton

9. Clearly Canadian

Interesting to see where this goes.

10. Michael C

Michael C United States New Member

I've noticed this too when I really get on the gas. I think they use a fairly strong solvent in the factory fluid to prevent freezing. The smell should get better after using up the factory fluid and replacing with regular washer fluid, but that doesn't explain why this is happening in the first place. I do know that my low fluid alarm came on after about 2000 miles of average washer fluid use, so either the tank is small, they didn't fill it full at the factory, or it does leak out when you accelerate hard.

11. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I was there when the tech did the PDI on my Stinger. The washer fluid tank was essentially empty and he put a lot of fluid in it to bring it up to full. Possibly the cap didn't get closed tightly or temperature cycling cause the fluid to expand. The tank seemed to hold about 1/2 gal.

12. Clearly Canadian

Only occurs immediately after using the fluid..

• Like Like x 1
  13. mldavis2

I'd also check that there isn't a loose hose or a split end or leak in the washer system.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

This also happened in my 2011 Optima. It doesn’t happen if you use the recycle air function (close the outside air intake). I recently noticed this also in a 2018 E-Class Mercedes

15. Michael C

When I filled mine up, it took about 3/4 of a gallon!

16. StingMe

StingMe United States Active Member

Yes. Anytime odors are coming through the plenum, use recirculation mode.
    When sitting at a light you can get some exhaust smell depending on wind direction.
    Use recirc.

17. Michael C

This solves the *symptom* of the smell, but as with the exhaust, the smell is from something that has left the vehicle. The big question is why are we able to smell something that should be in a sealed reservoir?

FYI, I have noticed this happening on days when I have not used the windshield wipers.

18. StingMe

StingMe United States Active Member

Quite a few possibilities and impossible to diagnose without a visual inspection.

Leaking resevoir or caps -check washer fluid, coolant
    Residual wiper fluid from previous use in air intake plenum?
    Coolant seepage at hose connections?
    Simple new engine and/or exhaust burn-off?
    Different wiper fluid stop the odor?

19. RockyBikeRider

Hi Michael,

Thought I’d check this thread again today, as even though I haven’t used the washer fluid for a few days, I thought I smelled the washer fluid when I accelerated hard a couple times today, so it’s interesting to see you report the same experience. It was just a hint, rather than the overwhelming smell when using the washer fluid. Would love to get to the bottom of this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mldavis2

Just a simple-minded question, but did you check that your technician snapped the cover completely closed after he did the PDI and filled the washer container?

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted