Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Rear thud sound going over bumps - not the ballbearing in a can sound

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Sarge, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Could it be a loose area in the rear undercarriage panel?

2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

What about the bushings in the suspension? Pretty common in the moustangs.

3. IndyStinger

IndyStinger United States Newish Member

I have this issue as well on my 2.0 Premium. I thought it was the trunk issue everyone's been talking about for months, but it's most definitely a singular "thud" as opposed to a continuous rattle. Seems to happen mostly when it's cold, and only when I go over bumpy pavement. Got my oil changed this morning and asked them to take a look. Tech said he couldn't find the cause so I will be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes someone finds an answer.

4. truss

truss United States Newish Member

I got a 2019 Premium and am hearing the same sound. Thought it was the same rattling issue others are reporting, but it’s definitely a ‘thud’ and not a rattle. Had dealer look at it and he adjusted the hatch bumper stops, but that hasn’t stopped it. Don’t have much confidence in them so far anyway.
    I’ll be watching to see if others have better luck.

5. JustThatPenguin

JustThatPenguin United States Active Member

I've always had this too. Never worried about it. This is from a complete novice but I assumed it was the suspension/tire. Seems to happen when I am on the gas going over a bump. I know that the rear of the car sinks down a little when you accelerate. So I figured the suspension pushing down to provide better grip and when you go over the bump, the bump itself causes the thud on the tightened suspension or tire loses traction momentarily and regains it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. max2382

max2382 United States Active Member

Mine started quite recently. I d say no more than a couple of months ago. It sounds inside the car/trunk, not outside or under. So i feel like to exclude the suspensions. I was wondering if the plastic cover of the trunk can actually lift up a bit when on a bump. that might explain it, although it sounds more "full" and metallic

7. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

Add washer to hatch rail stops the plastic black things on each side of hatch. Will silence that hatch rattle.

8. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

Not the over slam stops. The ones attached to the hatch there is one on each side. If they are not basically touching when closed you will get hatch rattle over hard bumps.

Draft saved Draft deleted