Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Rear thud sound going over bumps - not the ballbearing in a can sound

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Sarge, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Could it be a loose area in the rear undercarriage panel?

2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

What about the bushings in the suspension? Pretty common in the moustangs.

3. IndyStinger

IndyStinger United States Newish Member

I have this issue as well on my 2.0 Premium. I thought it was the trunk issue everyone's been talking about for months, but it's most definitely a singular "thud" as opposed to a continuous rattle. Seems to happen mostly when it's cold, and only when I go over bumpy pavement. Got my oil changed this morning and asked them to take a look. Tech said he couldn't find the cause so I will be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes someone finds an answer.

4. truss

truss United States Newish Member

I got a 2019 Premium and am hearing the same sound. Thought it was the same rattling issue others are reporting, but it’s definitely a ‘thud’ and not a rattle. Had dealer look at it and he adjusted the hatch bumper stops, but that hasn’t stopped it. Don’t have much confidence in them so far anyway.
    I’ll be watching to see if others have better luck.

5. JustThatPenguin

JustThatPenguin United States Active Member

I've always had this too. Never worried about it. This is from a complete novice but I assumed it was the suspension/tire. Seems to happen when I am on the gas going over a bump. I know that the rear of the car sinks down a little when you accelerate. So I figured the suspension pushing down to provide better grip and when you go over the bump, the bump itself causes the thud on the tightened suspension or tire loses traction momentarily and regains it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. max2382

max2382 United States Active Member

Mine started quite recently. I d say no more than a couple of months ago. It sounds inside the car/trunk, not outside or under. So i feel like to exclude the suspensions. I was wondering if the plastic cover of the trunk can actually lift up a bit when on a bump. that might explain it, although it sounds more "full" and metallic

7. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

Add washer to hatch rail stops the plastic black things on each side of hatch. Will silence that hatch rattle.

8. Fl stingergt

Not the over slam stops. The ones attached to the hatch there is one on each side. If they are not basically touching when closed you will get hatch rattle over hard bumps.

9. Ty Davis

Ty Davis United States Active Member

Mine does this too, as well as all of the other a Stingers I test drove before purchase. I do think this is “normal” for this platform.
    However, the sound should not be there in a well designed and engineered vehicle.

The weird part is a lot of people don’t hear it even though it is there.
    Some mistake it for the hatch rattle. This sound is not from the hatch, but rather the rear structure of the car.

For those curious as to what the OP is referring to, there is a distinct bassy/boomy sound that resonates through the rear of the car over pavement irregularities. It is most prevalent at low speeds. The sound is akin to the sound of tight drum being struck. It can vary from just barely audible to very obvious.

Kia definitely needs to fix this in generation 2.0 of the Stinger. It would also be nice if they implement a fix for us current owners.

I think it is just suspension noise resonating through the body of the car back there. High tire pressures increase the sound of it. Accelerating from low speeds while the rear wheels negotiate a bump or crack also will create the sound. Turning and accelerating with moderate briskness from a stop will also induce the sound if the surface under the tires is not smooth.
    In fact, there is an ever so slight sound that can be heard whenever a rear wheel looses traction during acceleration from a stop.

I find that the Stinger does an excellent job at transmitting road grain and texture into the cabin. Sometimes this manifests as extra vibration, others it induces hollow bassy thumps and thuds. Sometimes both.

All of this is exacerbated by poorly tuned springs, dampers and bushings.
    There is a weirdness to the Stingers suspension that I cannot put my finger on... An unfortunate mix of too hard, too jittery, and too soft.
    Then you get to a good road and find that it rides like silk. The Stinger absorbs actual bumps quite well. It just fails at filtering out excess road texture, grain, and small irregularities.

Hopefully aftermarket shocks help. I’d imagine the Stingers poor wheel/body control and cabin isolation contribute to the thumps and thuds being talked about here.

10. Fl stingergt

Add washer to black rubber rail pads on each side of hatch. Know more noise. Kia fixed mine three times. Did not quite it until I added washers.

11. Fl stingergt

Add washer to black rubber rail pads on each side of hatch. Know more noise. Kia fixed mine three times. Did not quite it until I added washers.

12. Fl stingergt

13. Fl stingergt

There fix from kia does not go far enough. You are hearing hatch shifting when you hit bumps. You need for washers . 2 for each side.

14. Ty Davis

The sound the original poster is talking about is NOT the infamous hatch rattle. That rattle is sufficiently fixed with the washers the dealers add.

The sound he is talking about is a light boomy sound that happens at the rear too. Two separate sounds (which often occur together).

15. Fl stingergt

The washer fixed mine and it was a boom sound not the rattle . Went threw the rattle got that fixed but hatch was still shifting over bumps. It’s that air tight thump noise . I’m telling you try and add another washer. Fought with kia for weeks. They started blaming noise on lowering springs because they didn’t know what to do to car. Washers on not one single noise for months.

16. Fl stingergt

This car rearend likes to hop over certain kinds of bumps. I don’t know if it’s the wheel base or what. Hatch has to be super tight if those little black rubber stoppers on hatch rails don’t have little dents in the rubber then hatch is not down tight enough.

17. Ty Davis

Yup that’s it! That sound.
    So you don’t get any more of that booming reverb back there anymore?
    Not even during brisk acceleration on a less than perfect surface?

Already have the washers on my Stinger... Too many, prevent the hatch from auto closing. I don’t know if more can fit. I’ll try to add the additional washers and report back here.

18. Ty Davis

It sucks that they were trying to blame your Eibachs...
    Most dealers are like that... if they have a hard time correcting a problem AND they see mods on your vehicle, you can almost bet they will point the finger at those mods if even remotely possible.

19. Fl stingergt

I had to take one of kia fix out and add a different thickness to get mine to quite down. I have a gt with 450hp to wheels I beat the car up every time I drive it two sets of back tires and only 9000 miles on car. Know more noise at all.thats is a huge piece of heavy glass back there if not super tight you get that thud pressure noise in your ears from shifting. You just have to experiment until it’s quite.you can also try different thickness of the black pad that is under there . Home Depot or Lowe’s carry different thickness of rubber or vinyl You can cut to fit. Somethings you just have to fix yourself it sucks but customer service seems to have left the building.

20. Fl stingergt

They have been good with me. But when they don’t know what to do for you anymore they just start blaming it on other things. I also pre ordered mine and was one of first to get in 2017 and thought I would get a little special treatment ha ha . That lasted a couple of trips to dealer. But car is awesome I love it so just smile and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted