Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Rear thud sound going over bumps - not the ballbearing in a can sound

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Sarge, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Sarge

Sarge Australia Newish Member

Hi all,

Mine has a thud coming from the rear, it happens when the rear tires go over a bump and it doesn’t matter at what speed.

If you tap the rear side trim or the boot mat, that hollow reverb sound is what it sounds like.

I’ve pulled all of the rear trim out and put a sound insulation on the floor surrounding the battery as well as behind the side trim.

I’ve replaced the washers as the dealer used two thin washers, and I have tried just about every mm adjustment on the stoppers.

Driving around with no trim and the spare tire removed has made no difference.

It’s not a rattle sound or like a can with marbles in it, which everyone is talking about for the stopper adjustment.

The dealer says they can’t hear it or replicate it, it’s very frustrating!

Is anyone else having the “thud” sound?

If I can’t fix it, I’ll have to get rid of it.

2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

Kadonka donk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Active Member

Make a call to the VIP line. That 'can't replicate' line is going to be harder for dealerships to use with this car.

4. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States Stinger Enthusiast

You talking about the trunk rattle?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

Drive the car with the tech so they hear what you hear

6. Sarge

Hi nope not the trunk rattle, already put the washers in and adjusted the stoppers.

This sound is like a hollow thud, not like a metal on metal rattle.

7. Sarge

I did that and he said he thought he might of heard something and would check it out.

When I picked it up, they said it was tire pressures.......umm?!?

Another service center said it was the diff noise when turning. I said it’s not the diff sound.

I’m going to take it to a different dealership to check it out.

8. Sarge

I was hoping that someone on the forum had found the fix to this problem, I’ve read on the Stinger FB pages a couple of people with the same issue, I contacted them but this issue had not been sorted for them either.

I’ve had other people in the car and said “can you hear that noise? That’s the sound”. And the response I get “I think I hear what you hear, but I don’t drive it everyday”.

I had my wife drive the car to her work today, as she is very car savvy. Hopefully she can hear it as well.

9. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

Yeah, my new Premium has it ... it's more like a "clunk" or "thunk" sound in response to any sharp bump or pothole. I assumed that was the "rattle" people talk about. (?)

10. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

In this cold weather I have heard a very occasional "thud", soft and singular. Not a repetitive sound at all, and only when going over a bump or obvious irregularity in the road surface. It sounds like you are hearing something repetitive and easily caused. I expect that "my" noise is cold-related, since I haven't changed what I carry in my hatch area since I bought the car.

11. mrharrison92

mrharrison92 United States New Member

I hear the thud. I suspect it is the trunk privacy cover bouncing? It's only gravity holding it in the down position. On a bump (speed bumps for me) I'm guessing the privacy cover "gets some air" and then returns to normal. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  12. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

There are two big rubber bumpers pressing down from near the glass onto the shelf. Unlikely that is bounding. Process of elimination. Take shelf out. Then take trunk floor cover out. Then tire jack equip, them spare.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sarge

Yep I’ve removed everything from the boot, the privacy cover, spare wheel cover, jack assembly, spare wheel and the side trim as well as the rear trim.

I’ve put bubble wrap on anything that could be touching, even the long black sleeves that lift the tailgate.

Noise is still there.

I even thought that it might be the tires somehow making that noise, it has the original Continentals on it. I don’t know if having the Michelin’s on would make a difference.

The rear bumper does have a similar sound when you tap it with your hand.

I feel like I’m going to have a major battle in finding this, especially that KIA are denying our cars have a problem.

14. Sarge

I’ve even driven it around the street with the tailgate open to try and eliminate the noise as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MerlintheMad

You mean the hatch lid is OPEN? And you still hear a *thump*? If so, that has to mean the *thump* is not hatch related.

16. Sarge

Correct, I have driven it with the hatch lid open and still hear it. Having the hatch lid open test was just the other day.
    My hatch process of elimination clearly was not the issue.

I’m reluctant to spend money on suspension or different tires if that doesn’t fix it.

Hoping someone had travelled the path before me.

17. MerlintheMad

Not that I have read about. Your noise is unique. Could it be something loose underneath? If you got the car up in the air, you might find something that way. I don't know.

18. Sarge

Will put it on stands tonight and hopefully see or detect something.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChiTownStinger

ChiTownStinger United States Active Member

I’ve heard the thud too, but haven’t investigated it yet. Do you have the power hatch? I don’t, I have a GT1.

20. max2382

max2382 United States Active Member

it is happening to me when I go over a speed bump. I thought was the rattle they were talking about, but now that u mention this, it fells more likely to be something else. but I definitely have the same noise. keep us posted please

Draft saved Draft deleted