kia stinger store

My unfortunate Kia experience.

badfrogg

I think it is good for people to tell their positive experiences. I praised CarMax in the original post of this thread. It was one of the best and most surprising customer experiences that I have ever had.

On the subject of number of post, good vs. bad... This is how I look at it, you have to of course know that angry folks are more boisterous and will want to let it out. Before I bought the Stinger I went to a lot forums like this one and looked at the kinds of threads people were posting. I also looked specifically for problem threads. I took note of the amount of unique users posting about problems. When I distilled down a bunch of different data points I came to the conclusion that the stinger was a very reliable car with a good track history (few unique users with problems vs. users having fun). This is why I bought the Stinger over a BMW, Audi, Volvo, Alfa, etc..

Now think about this, if it is true that the Stinger is very reliable and has few problems then the Dealer is not really getting a lot of people coming in with warranty issues. The fact the there a quite a lot of people posting bad experience with the dealers shows, to me at least, that Kia as a brand and service... ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!

The car is good though, for the price at least, and as long as you didn't get one of the rare defective ones like I did.

I really like my Stinger. I am glad I have it. It was a very, very, very painful path getting here though.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

CDv6

NoVA
How does the dealer know where you purchased it from? Even if they do know, the factory warranty should be the same, regardless of where you purchased it. The fact that you aren't the original owner shortens it, but the car hasn't reached that age yet. It sucks that you have to hire an attorney, but please educate us on whatever you learn from that consultation.

badfrogg

Every time I brought the car into a Kia service. The person filling in the ticket asked if I bought the car from them. It was a top question each time. I am sure it is to determine if 10/100K or the 5/60k warranty applies. I think the sales guy was just beating me up because he enjoys that kind of thing. I do believe if you buy a "Certified Pre-Owned" you also get the 10/100k warranty.

After many letters to Kia Corporate and me telling them that I was not going to give up, they told me to get a lawyer and reach out to BBB auto line. It was BBB auto line who called the dealer and did something because the whole tone of communication completely changed. They test drove the car with some kind if data logging and that was sent to the engineers who said to replace the transmission.

If Kia wanted to bring me back they could upgrade my warranty to the 10/100k. I think that would make things even with me. It would just be a gesture though. The warranty is just paper without a huge fight.

Oh, and I payed over $400 in rental car fees that Kia refused. I just wanted my car back so bad that I surrendered that fight.

Legendsk

Deep south Texas
Sadly, I don't believe Kia dealers are measurably worse or better than most other brands. I have a Kia because a Ford dealer wouldn't / couldn't repair a very minor problem on my F-250 (with 17k miles on it). And when the dealer wouldn't and I contacted Ford, they assured me that there was nothing they could do, whatever the dealer did was up to the dealer and they weren't really involved! When I took the truck to a different dealer, they were very nice and helpful and would be happy to fix the problem. When the service writer entered the VIN, up popped a notice that there was still an open service order at dealer #1 and they weren't allowed to touch it while someone else had an open work order. Eventually, after enough threats and a temper tantrum, Ford was able to close the dealer service order and I traded the truck for a Kia Soul (and a nice check).

The nearest, (30 milels), Kia dealer has a terrible reputation. Unfortunately, ALL Kia dealers within 300 miles are owned and managed by the same entity, and the service reputation of each is worse than any of the others. {You would think that wouldn't be possible, but if you look through the reviews, each of them insists that it has to be the worst of the lot.}

I did learn, on this forum, there is a Kia dealer in a different country 50 miles away. I will check that one out and post my findings the next time I go there.

Sorry for all the negative stuff, it is intended to offset the rants about Kia dealers, because as I said, I don't think they are particularly worse than any other brand.

On the positive side, Kia quality is excellent. The cars are well designed and are carefully assembled and inspected. New car defects across the line are rare enough to earn Kia high rankings. The Soul I owned was the best car I ever had at the time and the Stinger I traded it for has been the best car I have ever owned - BY FAR. I'm not going to allow the miserable rotten dealer to tarnish the experience, I can work around them.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I did learn, on this forum, there is a Kia dealer in a different country 50 miles away. I will check that one out and post my findings the next time I go there.
That could only be Mexico, the real one. :D This should be interesting ...

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

GTdsz

This is the reason im selling my stinger. The transmission is straight lethargic and borderline dumb. Doesnt know how to pick a gear or shift from 1st to 2nd

badfrogg

Yeah. I had the same thought but then I also thought that whoever ended up buying it to was going to get a bum deal like I did. It was very painful but I am glad that there is one less broken kia being passed around the wholesale market. I stopped the buck.

rpoffen

California
How does the dealer know where you purchased it from? Even if they do know, the factory warranty should be the same, regardless of where you purchased it. The fact that you aren't the original owner shortens it, but the car hasn't reached that age yet. It sucks that you have to hire an attorney, but please educate us on whatever you learn from that consultation.
When I bought mine used (from a Honda dealer no less), I found a lot about its history (including the original selling dealer) from the CARFAX report.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
This is the reason im selling my stinger. The transmission is straight lethargic and borderline dumb. Doesnt know how to pick a gear or shift from 1st to 2nd
Do you have the ZF 8 speed? I have had it in a few vehicles now and have never had a problem. I think it performs pretty flawlessly in the my 22' Stinger, always shifting smoothly and quickly. Worlds better than the last Aisin 8 speed I had lol.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Newish Member
Do you have the ZF 8 speed? I have had it in a few vehicles now and have never had a problem. I think it performs pretty flawlessly in the my 22' Stinger, always shifting smoothly and quickly. Worlds better than the last Aisin 8 speed I had lol.
Unless something changed for MY ‘22 the transmission is still an in-house Kia/Hyundai designed and produced 8 speed AT.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

GTdsz

I have a 2021. If it was a ZF8 I would love it