kia stinger store

My unfortunate Kia experience.

badfrogg

I will do my best to just provide the facts and not degrade to the level of troll rant.

I bought a 2020 GT RWD about 7 weeks ago. I Had test driven one while traveling for work prior and I loved it. So I stated looking for one back home that I could pick up once I got back. I ended up ordering one through CarMax. I was trying to hit a couple of criteria, red interior, white or gray paint, 2020 or newer and less then 15k miles and $40K or so in price. I had to have one shipped 400 miles to meet that criteria. Local dealership had nothing.

I get the car and start noticing problems with the transmission. I consider retuning the car but I can't find anything that was equivalent. I decide to try and get it repaired at Kia... The transmission clunks into gear and sometimes comes out of gear all together leaving me stranded for a few moments before it slams loudly back into gear.

Kia Visit #1. The closest dealer service is booked a week out. I can drop it off but they will not provide a loaner. CarMax steps up and gives me a loaner and takes the car to Kia for me. A week later the car is ready for pick up. Nothing was done except a 5 point inspection and they say the car is fine. By this point I am 1 day over the return policy at CarMax but once again CarMax steps up and offers me an exception and extends the return a couple more days. I try and find another car through CarMax but nothing. I looked for other Stingers, G70s, Q60s and Q50s. Nothing. Man I wish I had just returned the car and taken my money and ran. But didn't. I said to myself that the car was under warranty and Kia should fix it.

Kia Visit #2. The next closest dealer is also a week wait. They will provide a loaner but there is a 2 week wait for that. What else can I do? I get on the list and two weeks later they call me in. This time I made sure to describe the problem and I also provided my case number that I started with Kia Consumer Care. I also observe the mileage before dropping it off. They also keep it for a whole week before calling me in to say the car is fine and come pick it up. Also a bill for the service and loaner. They say since there was noting wrong that I am responsible for the cost of everything. I point out that the mileage on the car did not change. I had a picture on my phone of the odometer. The lady gets a manager and he immediately takes the bill away.

Dealer 1 and 2 and Kia Consumer Care all stand behind the policy that if the problem cannot be observed then they don't recognize a problem. The fact that they did not drive the car dose not seem to matter. I asked if I could take someone on a test drive. They would not oblige.

I have now filed a case with BBB Auto Line and I am soliciting consumer lawyers. I also Have a third visit tomorrow with the only Kia service dealer in my tri city area.

Oh, and at the second visit, a sales guy came up to me. He had overheard my complaint and he ask if I bought the car from there. When I told him that I did not he shook his head and said too bad because his customer is getting a new car because of the same issue. He said buying from CarMax is why I am being treated that way. I tried to stop him from telling me that but he insisted that I know and even repeated it so I understood. I told him that the car is under warranty and I should be treated the same. He assured me that it was not how things work. He also offered to put me in a new Stinger at a $10K loss.

BTW. I went to CarMax and they once again stepped up. They offer to buy back the car at a $1,500 loss. But I would also loose the Taxes and Fees. Still that is pretty amazing. You cannot rent a Stinger for $1,500 for 7 weeks and taxes are taxes, can't get that back. Huge props to CarMax. However since it is the unspoken rule that dealerships will blacklist you for buying from CarMax then I do not recommend it. Too bad because CarMax has been amazing to me.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
damn that stinks!

badfrogg

When I stopped at the third Dealer to set an appointment I test drove a used Stinger GT they had sitting there. It was a year newer but had about as many miles. It was also the same trim and had the same shifter, RWD like mine too. It shifted like butter, perfect. For 30 minutes I got to feel what a not broken Stinger was like to drive. I almost cried.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
Chicago
I would of taken the $$ and ran. Yes you're out $1500, but that's better than being stuck with a bum car unless you get a lawyer involved who will put the screws to dealer/kia to make it right.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
The Kia dealer experience is why once I’m done with my Stinger I’ll never go Kia again! Just the thought of going to one makes my skin crawl. Love my Stinger though

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

BadTrainDriver

Powell, OH
The Kia dealer experience is why once I’m done with my Stinger I’ll never go Kia again! Just the thought of going to one makes my skin crawl. Love my Stinger though
I feel the same way with my Genesis G70. I absolutely LOVE this car...but the dealership experience for any issue makes me want to throw up. I've come to the conclusion that I'm on my own with this car, no warranty whatsoever. I will not buy another Hyundai/Kia product again most likely.

DTD

I will do my best to just provide the facts and not degrade to the level of troll rant.

I bought a 2020 GT RWD about 7 weeks ago. I Had test driven one while traveling for work prior and I loved it. So I stated looking for one back home that I could pick up once I got back. I ended up ordering one through CarMax. I was trying to hit a couple of criteria, red interior, white or gray paint, 2020 or newer and less then 15k miles and $40K or so in price. I had to have one shipped 400 miles to meet that criteria. Local dealership had nothing.

I get the car and start noticing problems with the transmission. I consider retuning the car but I can't find anything that was equivalent. I decide to try and get it repaired at Kia... The transmission clunks into gear and sometimes comes out of gear all together leaving me stranded for a few moments before it slams loudly back into gear.

Kia Visit #1. The closest dealer service is booked a week out. I can drop it off but they will not provide a loaner. CarMax steps up and gives me a loaner and takes the car to Kia for me. A week later the car is ready for pick up. Nothing was done except a 5 point inspection and they say the car is fine. By this point I am 1 day over the return policy at CarMax but once again CarMax steps up and offers me an exception and extends the return a couple more days. I try and find another car through CarMax but nothing. I looked for other Stingers, G70s, Q60s and Q50s. Nothing. Man I wish I had just returned the car and taken my money and ran. But didn't. I said to myself that the car was under warranty and Kia should fix it.

Kia Visit #2. The next closest dealer is also a week wait. They will provide a loaner but there is a 2 week wait for that. What else can I do? I get on the list and two weeks later they call me in. This time I made sure to describe the problem and I also provided my case number that I started with Kia Consumer Care. I also observe the mileage before dropping it off. They also keep it for a whole week before calling me in to say the car is fine and come pick it up. Also a bill for the service and loaner. They say since there was noting wrong that I am responsible for the cost of everything. I point out that the mileage on the car did not change. I had a picture on my phone of the odometer. The lady gets a manager and he immediately takes the bill away.

Dealer 1 and 2 and Kia Consumer Care all stand behind the policy that if the problem cannot be observed then they don't recognize a problem. The fact that they did not drive the car dose not seem to matter. I asked if I could take someone on a test drive. They would not oblige.

I have now filed a case with BBB Auto Line and I am soliciting consumer lawyers. I also Have a third visit tomorrow with the only Kia service dealer in my tri city area.

Oh, and at the second visit, a sales guy came up to me. He had overheard my complaint and he ask if I bought the car from there. When I told him that I did not he shook his head and said too bad because his customer is getting a new car because of the same issue. He said buying from CarMax is why I am being treated that way. I tried to stop him from telling me that but he insisted that I know and even repeated it so I understood. I told him that the car is under warranty and I should be treated the same. He assured me that it was not how things work. He also offered to put me in a new Stinger at a $10K loss.

BTW. I went to CarMax and they once again stepped up. They offer to buy back the car at a $1,500 loss. But I would also loose the Taxes and Fees. Still that is pretty amazing. You cannot rent a Stinger for $1,500 for 7 weeks and taxes are taxes, can't get that back. Huge props to CarMax. However since it is the unspoken rule that dealerships will blacklist you for buying from CarMax then I do not recommend it. Too bad because CarMax has been amazing to me.
It is hard to believe that KIA did this. I believe that it happened. to me it seems that these KIA dealerships are not to bright. As I understand dealerships do not make the bulk of their money from auto sales but from the service department.

rk88

I hate reading stories like this. Buying a car should be a fun and exciting experience, not something that gives you gray hairs. I had a very similar experience when i bought a 2018 Mustang GT. Engine had an obvious issue, dealer would keep for extended time without loaner, "Yep, nothing wrong". I would take them for test drives and demonstrate the problem and they would file it under "normal behavior". Luckily since i was a new purchase i was able to lemon law it and get my money back.

Looking at all my purchases after that event has me looking at cars like @BadTrainDriver ... they say there is a warranty but its pretty much useless unless the car blows up while on video with three witnesses and a priest present.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

badfrogg

So after a very big fight, BBB Auto line invlovment, and a consumer lawer, I finally got Kia to acknowlage a problem. They of course had to testdrive it and after a test drive they said, yeah... guess there is somthing wrong with your trasmission. Then after 6 weeks in the shop I finally got back a stinger that drives correctly. I cried just a little bit when I finally got to experience what everyone is raving about with this stupid car. It is actuall pretty good.

By the way, they repaleced the whole trasmission. The engine and front subframe anlong with the transmission has to be dropped out from the bottom of the car to do the work.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
People should notice that is the dissatisfied who post their frustration, the many satisfied customers are not particularly eager to post their good experiences...
Yea, because what would that post look like lol? "Oh I went in for my oil change today and everything went like it was supposed to" Who's gonna come to say that? I'd love to hear ( I have admittedly seen a few on here) all the above and beyond Kia dealer stories, as I am sure they are few and far between. It's sad to see that so many others, like me, will never buy a Hyundai Mo Co vehicle again because of the shit dealer experience. If I didn't love my Stinger, I'd flush it just for the bad dealer network.

badfrogg

Yeah, I mean Kia and mama Hyundai have burned me pretty good. The Stinger was going to be my last hurrah before going EV and I was really looking forward to Hyundai / Kia offerings. But how can I ever step foot again into one of these dealerships without feeling so dirty...?

But, If this forum is just for shills and you want to suppress the folks that have bad experiences then fine. Delete my post, ban me. I can't stop you.

Last edited:

SoCalSHO

Diamond Bar, Ca
Who is suppressing you/your story? Geez, get over it, it was just someones viewpoint.

badfrogg

Well that viewpoint sucks. And I'll get over whatever I want to get over. So go back to policing you're HOA. I live in the city. Can't turn the screws on me, I'm reverse threads.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Well that viewpoint sucks. And I'll get over whatever I want to get over. So go back to policing you're HOA. I live in the city. Can't turn the screws on me, I'm reverse threads.

LMAO that's some good sh*t. I've never heard that screws analogy before, ima have to remember that one!

badfrogg

Ah. Good. At least someone can laugh in a forum thread. I started this thread with just the fact but inevitably these things always degrade to the level of "social media".

Yeah, reverse threads. You gotta use that one!

JAI-STINGER

Orlando, FL

This is the reason I traded in my Stinger 2 months ago. I had my brakes replaced 6 times in 2 years and a seat once. In all my years of buying cars, I have never had to replace brakes in any of them. Some I have had for 6 years of more. The dealership experience is the worse. Approvals from Kia took weeks and no loaners. I went back to Lexus where the dealership experience is First Class and I get a loaner if needed. I do miss the power of the Stinger but my peace of mind is super important to me. I love my 21' IS350.

Silverfox

Cardiff, UK
Yea, because what would that post look like lol? "Oh I went in for my oil change today and everything went like it was supposed to" Who's gonna come to say that? I'd love to hear ( I have admittedly seen a few on here) all the above and beyond Kia dealer stories, as I am sure they are few and far between. It's sad to see that so many others, like me, will never buy a Hyundai Mo Co vehicle again because of the shit dealer experience. If I didn't love my Stinger, I'd flush it just for the bad dealer network.
True, most people only tell of bad experiences so you don’t really get a good cross section.

My first dealing for a problem with my 28 month old Stinger went better than I expected.

I noticed a very pronounced juddering when braking at 60+ mph which shook the whole car. I booked it into my local dealer and the next day I got a call to say both front discs and pads needed changing and they had ordered the parts. The day after I got a call to say it was ready to pick up. I expected to be told it was wear and tear and expected quite a big bill but they said it was done under warranty. Happy face!