Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by upsidedown, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Banzibarn

Banzibarn United Kingdom Newish Member

Update is that the garage are saying that they don't believe that the diff is the cause of the shudder (bulletin describing noise not shudder) and they think it's more transition related......

So it looks like I won't be getting this issue fixed any time soon. It does seems odd that OP has exactly the same issue as I describe with shudder reversing off drive, which was fixed by the oil. I'm not a mechanic though so don't really carry any weight when trying to argue my point with the garage. I can see this rumbling (or should that say shudder) on and on.....

2. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

There’s a TSB so they have to change the diff oil, or at least they should. I didn’t have any noise, just felt a shudder going from reverse into drive and since I had the diff oil replaced at my 10,000km service I haven’t felt it. The TSB refers to noise, but I would suggest a physical shudder is more of an indication of a problem than a noise would be in most cases. Stand your ground with them. Worst case they change the oil and it doesn’t fix the issue then they can look for other causes.

3. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

I agree, insist on having your diff oil changed ASAP and worry about any further noise later.

4. Banzibarn

Sorry, I don't actually know what a TSB is? From what you say, it's effectively an instruction from Kia to change the oil on all cars rather than a solution to a problem if it should occur?

The garage say they've been in contact with Kia technical though so you'd imagine Kia themselves should know this!

Apparently they've attached diagnostic equipment to the car and tried to recreate the problem, which they say they haven't been able to do yet. Odd as it does it every time for me!

Anyhow, I'm getting the car back and it's going in again in a couple of weeks for a longer period to be sorted once and for all! (I hope).

5. Coast GT

It’s a service bulletin sent by Kia to all of their dealer service departments requiring work to be done on the vehicle but falls short of a recall. I’ve attached it for you.

When you say the garage has been in touch with Kia, are you taking it to a third party mechanic or back to the dealer service department? It’s a warranty issue, you should be dealing direct with a Kia service department. 0B431442-2947-499D-8DF8-492A881F5EE6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZeroPenguins

ZeroPenguins Australia Member

My Stinger GT started to make this whine noise today when I was driving at low speeds or stopped, it was super loud at one stage when I was going for the reverse. @AV8R was kind enough to point me in the right direction, and I will be taking my car in to a Kia service centre to get this issue fixed!

I will update back once I have gotten the rear diff oil replaced sometime next week or the week after (ping me if I forget to update back).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Banzibarn

The car was with the Kia dealer said they had contacted Kia UK to look for advice. They're weren't accepting the TSB was the cause as I didn't report any noise (just shudder) and noise is what is mentioned on the TSB (I left a copy of the TSB in the car). They were effectively saying that Kia would not pay them if they changed the oil and the problem persisted.

The car is back with then next week and will stay there until the issue is solved. In the mean time I've collected info on cars in the UK that have had the same symptoms and have the name of the dealers and the dates the cars were fixed by an oil change so hopefully my dealer can cross check with them and agree that the oil change is the solution!

8. Coast GT

Fingers crossed they fix it for you. The dealers here are just changing the oil due to the TSB noise or not. Mine had shudder no noise but the dealer wrote noise heard on the receipt they gave me for the service I’m guessing that was to satisfy Kia. Hope it’s sorted quickly for you

9. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club!

Noise or no noise the dealer has to replace the diff oil if it’s on a work TSB so dont let them tell you it’s only done if you hear a noise. Prevention is better than cure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Banzibarn

Thanks for all the comments. Time to play hard ball!

11. ZeroPenguins

ZeroPenguins Australia Member

Small update, I took my car in for the 3000KM service, they didn't have a the diff oil in hand and had to order from the eastern states. I was told that it will take one week to get the diff oil, so I will update back once I have it replaced.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Banzibarn

Update : I've had the oil changed now and so far, seems much better! Will update again once I've done a few more miles / kms and done some cold starts etc.

Thanks for your help so far!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. AV8R

Go to another dealer, your current one is lousy. They are probably wasting more time and money finding the issue rather than putting in the oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Banzibarn

Yeah, it's not been great - took three visits to actually get the oil changed. I got a sense they were a bit embarrassed when phoning me to say the car was ready because instead of just saying "we've changed the diff oil and it's all fixed", they went on about how they factory reset the gear box, this that and the other. The mention of the oil change was like something they just dropped in at the end almost as if to say it was done as a precaution but wasn't the main fix.

Having said that, they did fix the creaking sunroof so that's good. They're local to me so to be honest, taking it somewhere else would probably be even more hassle.

Now I just need to fix the long scratch down the side that some jealous idiot did with a key and the car will be back to full health! :)

15. AV8R

Factory set the gearbox!!! What a load of BS, go elsewhere next time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

Diff brace anyone?

Screenshot_20190508-080434.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

@Terry@BMS
    So this should help distribute the power to each wheel more evenly when accelerating while turning? My differential was completely replaced & Kia said its operating properly, but I still get wheel-hop and more power to my left rear tire, especially on turns. Will this help prevent that?

Also, will this be considered modifying the differential, or have any effects on Warranty work?

18. AV8R

Just as a suggestion you could change the sub frame bolts and put in the sleeves as i have heard in ca n help with the hopping. My sway bars have alleviated alot of the hopping too when turning.

19. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Thanks for the suggestion and looking for anything that may help. Possibly a stupid question, but what "sleeves" and sub frame bolts are you referencing?

20. AV8R

Draft saved Draft deleted