Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Love my Stinger, but have a few issues...

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by roverny, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

no, with the seats down the capacity is 40.9 cubic feet. I had a Maxima before this, with similar trunk capacity to the Optima, they weren't even close in trunk space. You are taking down the hatch cover when you're trying to carry extra stuff right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. roverny

roverny United States Newish Member

Fair enough, if I take the hatch off, yes it's a bigger space. However, I like to actually see out the rear-it's hard enough to do w/o anything in there-plus there's the security issue of having a trunk that people can't see in. But yes, you guys are correct, it's a bigger space. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yeah, pure crazy talk the trunk of the Optima fits more than the Stinger. Stinger has 8 more square feet of trunk space, or 50% more than the Optima.

4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Storage is measured in cubic units, not square units. It's on the web site - Optima Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) is 15.9, Stinger is 23.3.

They don't specify whether that's with or without the lid in place, but it wouldn't take much time to determine a rough number with a tape measure. I still doubt the Stinger is smaller with the lid in place because of how long the cargo area is due to the long wheelbase.

5. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

Kia Wipers and sensing logic are not on par with German cars. I live in what amounts to a rain forest in Northern California and have plenty of time using wipers with sensing technology. My Mercedes enginered Dodge Durango has great wiper sensing tech. So have my Other German cars. I can just leave them on auto and if mist starts car goes into intermittent ...heavier rain and they go just as fast as needed. In fact today was in torrential down pour in Dodge and was amazed at how seamlessly they sped up with rain as it started to pour. Kia just gets confused. I usually just use manual settings on Kia.

Wiper blades on Kia are so so. Not best oem but certainly not the worst.

Good luck with sun roof I’m dealing with similar issues it’s not a rubber seal lubrication issue as some indicate. Overall poor design.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. My Optima SX had rain sensing wipers & they worked well and my Stinger wipers also work well. They go intermittent with light rain & speed up as required. The sensitivity adjustment does make a difference to the operation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jimmer

So what I've noticed is the system that stops the engine at stops then starts back up when you hit the gas doesn't always work even during the rare occasions I don't shut it off the moment I get in the car. Is it sad that doesn't bother me in the least? ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

ISG (Idle Stop and Go) is just a gimmick to keep the environmentalists placated; a politically motivated feature. Imho, of course :p. I always turn mine OFF as the first act after starting the engine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jimmer

I almost always do to, but sometimes forget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. eflyguy

I hate that on a couple of recent model Mercedes I've driven but honestly on the Stinger, it works great and I rarely disable it. Just releasing pressure on the brake pedal starts it up instantly, and when stopped at a light (for example), just a slight lift on the brake pedal fires it up again. Based on experience with those other cars I thought I would hate it, but I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

If I thought that it worked often enough well enough to actually save gas significantly, I'd use it.

12. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

If anyone comes up with a way to permanently disable start-stop, I'm sure many on here would be eternally grateful ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. eflyguy

Try wedging something into the gap besides the button, that has been reported to work. If you use a piece of paper and find it works, you could craft something less obvious/that better matches the button or trim.

14. roverny

roverny United States Newish Member

Sounds like a business oppt. ;)

15. eflyguy

Before I purchased mine, but had read about that trick, I was thinking I would 3d print something..

16. Lawrence Williams

Lawrence Williams United States Active Member

I've got an 2011 Optima and test drove a 2019 stinger .....as part of any test drive, I bring my golf bag....the hatchback style cars aren't as wide for some reason.....maybe a body integration and support needed for the larger lid/trunk/hatch vs sedan......my golf bag fits easily width wise in the Optima without removing driver(longest club) whilst the stinger or audi a7 didn't allow for that....I could get them in on a diagonal OR fold seats down....Optima seats fold also....but the width of the Stinger's cargo space is quite a few inches narrower than the Optima.....could the wheel wells but I'm thinking the hatch needs somewhere solid to sit with its additional weight....

17. stingLikeAee

stingLikeAee United States Member

18. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

That's a possibility, but I was hoping for something less ... intrusive. When I've disassembled cars in the past no good has come of it. I always manage to break off a tab or clip or something, and end up with a permanent rattle. :(

• Useful Useful x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted