Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Love my Stinger, but have a few issues...

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by roverny, Dec 30, 2018.

1. roverny

roverny United States Newish Member

Hi all,

Got a new 2018 GT1 AWD with Drivewise a couple months ago. Traded in a 2015 Optima SXL.

I love the Stinger, though I do miss the roominess and the trunk of the Optima (that trunk was immense!).

I've been lurking on this and a couple other Stinger forums and I've run into a few issues I wanted to ask you all about to see if you've experienced them as well and if so, what have you done.

Here goes! :)

1. A noise when sun roof fabric is open-and only when it’s open it seems. Like a squeaking.
    2. I haven't seen this myself-even tho I'm the DD-but my wife has, twice. All the displays went off for 10-20 seconds while driving.
    3. TSC. When going around a sharp corner, usually up hill, if the TSC activates, I literally can't go anywhere for about 3-5 seconds until the car figures out whatever it needs to figure out. Very strange and frustrating.
    4. For a brand new car the wax job doesn't feel very good. Usually after I wax my own car, it's soft for about 1-2 months, the Stinger wasn't ever "soft".
    5. The rain-sensing wipers...SUCK. Out here in the Pacific NW, we get a fair amount of rain, but usually it doesn't rain too hard. The wipers can't seem to figure out what to do and I really wish I just had a "regular" intermittent that could be turned on.
    6. The wipers themselves. Since day one have been streaky. Now of course I can get new ones, but these should be new! Plus the optima had the same issue. Every time I got new wipers, about a month later, streaks…

About to make an appointment to get the wiring recall fixed and would like them to look at some of this stuff as well, but I'm curious if others have had similar issues and what they/you did.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

1. Moonroof noises is a frequent topic of discussion. I have not heard of the fabric panel playing any role in these noises until you brought it up. This is a first.

2. LCD displays turning off then back on: A first for me. Haven't heard of it before.

3. Traction control / stability control: have you tried just turning them off and running without them? I haven't heard of the behavior you describe before.

4. You mean the clear coat, right? Mine is slick, smooth and hard.

5. I sympathize about the sensing wipers; a stupid "convenience" if there ever was one. Too tricksie for me.

6. I've been on the best windshield wipers of my life for the last nine months. They don't streak and they don't appear to have worn yet.

Welcome! Your first post is a doozy.:D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. roverny

Lol.

Thanks so much for the quick reply Merlin.

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, just been too lazy. :D

1. Yeah, I've read a bit about it, what I haven't been able to find is, will Kia fix it? Had some bad experience with the Optima and wanting to charge $125/hour just to look.

3. Yes, if I turn it off the car doesn't do that, just annoying. I swear I read about it before somewhere, just can't remember, not a big deal, just annoying.

4. I guess, never purchased a new car before. :) All I know is that when I wax a car it's smoother than this one, which is brand new.

5. Yeah, I work in tech and as amazing as it can be, it's not always a home run.

6. Can you share the brand/model pls?

Thanks again!

4. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Active Member

Dont’t let these ruin your experience:

1) its not a design issue its the rubber seal causing the rattle get it lube.

2) Never happen check if your Favourite button is set to screen off by accident.

3) Either you are driving it too hard or the tyres are not gripping due to tyre or cold temp.

4) This is due to the PDI not the clearcoat I am pretty sure.

5) Never realise maybe I am not using it enough or its just the logic being program.

6) Never happen on mine maybe due to residue left on windscreen. Try to get it clean by using some elbow strength and glass polish.

Good luck.

5. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Dadgum...sorry bout all the probs...my only prob is/was the paint.....this car was on the showroom floor and you would think it would be perfecto....noticed that it was rough...oh well....got it home and did the once over...geeez a good waxing only helped a lil.....so I clay barred the panels that wernt clear bra...I had bout 90 percent of the car done....they corrected the paint before laying down the clear...so I got off my duff and corrected the rest of the car....she be shiny and smoooooth now...so yep you are right....clearcoat rough to the touch, and even a lil wavy right? :) Wash

6. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Hi, I currently own an Optima and want to get a Stinger next year .I understand what you mean when you mention the TSC, as that has happened to me a couple of times too, the light for the TSC lights up on the dash, does yours? like Dennis mentioned I put it down to trying to accelerate too hard when the tyres lack grip ( ie, road wet) so now I am slower with the acceleration in wet conditions and it hasn't happened again. I have not had a problem with my wipers though.

7. MerlintheMad

This car. The wipers on the Stinger are great. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia United States Stinger Enthusiast

1. @westcostGT is having his sunroof frame replaced due to squeakes. Might not be your exact problem but if yes at least it is known. Silicone lube/Gummi Pflege/Honda lube might be a solution before more drastic measures.

2. I have had a couple quirks, see if they work out themselves and if not, take it to the dealer.

3. TSC is sensitive on this car and other normal commuters. Less so on proper sports cars. Found this through experience.

4. I feel a lot of "junk" sticks to this paint even after a mild top coat. Ceramic coat might be the solution (cheap one anyway).

5. Ran sensing seems to be junk in my opinion. Doesn't work well.

6. Wipers seem fine on my car, but even of they weren't, I would replace them and not complain anyway.

9. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

With regard to the TCS system, that's due to the crappy tires on the car. If you have been on the Optima forums, we discussed it there. Most of the early cars with Nexen or lower level Kumho tires caused the car's TCS system to activate as those tires would slip a lot and if you did any aggressive driving, the engine would also cut power. I'm going to guess you have the 18" tire/wheel setup with Bridgestone tires, those tires are a bad choice for the car, especially the GT versions. If so, ditch those tires ad get a set of UHP AS tires, go with a wider 235/45 18" setup, some reasonable priced General G-MAX AS-05 would work for your area or you could go full on for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. I have gone with Nitto Motivo but I find them not as grippy in the rain when I drive them hard. I have the Generals on my Optima Hybrid and they are great in the wet, lighter vehicle but I feel they do better in the wet.

10. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

hm.... little confused here. The Stinger trunk is a lot bigger than the Optima trunk, 15.9 ft^3 vs 23.3 ft^3.

I have a GT1 and did not want the rain sensing option, I have an intermittent notch for my wipers?

TSC will absolutely kill your power if you're cornering and lose too much traction. This car has a tooonnn more torque than an Optima, you can't accelerate this car the same way. If it's killing power when you're driving normally and not losing traction, you need to get it checked out.

Same with all the electronics turning off while driving, I would try to do a factory reset first but if that doesn't work, bring it in. It's a new car under warranty, they won't charge you to look at or fix it.

11. stingLikeAee

stingLikeAee United States Member

Ditto for me too. Several car washes haven't fixed the problem. One of these days I'll buy new blades but it's disappointing I have to do this for a new car.

12. StingerNYC

StingerNYC United States Active Member

The rain sensing wipers have been perfect for me.

Replace the oem wiper blades. They are garbage.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

get Rainx , makes the windshield silky smooth and make sure you clean your wiper blades ..................

14. LaserJet

LaserJet Australia Member

I would recommend applying Gtechniq G1 to windscreen glass. No more problems with wipers. In fact you won't even need wipers as water runs off so quickly.

15. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

Everything has been answered above except for 5. We do have regular adjustable intermittent wiper settings.
    20190102_010827.jpg

16. NickUK

NickUK United Kingdom Member

so how can you make it do intermittent wiping at the different speeds, instead of being on automatic mode? sorry if it's really obvious.. i always thought the speed setting alluded to above was for how sensitive the automatic wipers are to rain?

17. Ucinn

Ucinn United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Intermittant is replaced by Auto if you have the rain sensing wipers. You do not have both. My Gt had the int., My GT2 has the auto.

18. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Correct - INT is replaced by AUTO.

I find they work really well, although the sensitivity adjustment is "opposite" to what I would have expected, once you figure out a setting they work great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. roverny

Yeah, I seem to remember this happening on the Optima as well, but worse with the Stinger. I really liked the Optima, but the power change when going to the stinger, woo hoo! :D

Holy moly! Wonder how much complaining it took. :). You're nice, I paid a lot for this car and I want even the wipers to work well!

For sure, the tires will help, but TCS shouldn't kill momentum like that, it can actually be dangerous. Ha ha, I've actually owned 2 iterations of the Pilot Sport 3 on two different cars and I'm planning on getting them for the Stinger, but similar to the wipers I was hoping to get a decent amount of time out of the tires I have now, but looks like come Spring I'll be getting new tires.

Yeah, and the Stinger wheelbase is longer as well. They may be counting the Stinger with the seats down, cause I'm telling you the trunk barely fits HALF of what the Optima did. Plus the Optima could comfortably seat 4 adults, not so much now. Not complaining, just mentioning. :). Thanks, they better not!

Yup, agreed.

I tried something similar we have that's locally made, called 20/10. Worked for a bit, but not long.

Huh, never heard of it, will check it out, thanks!

Dang it, give us the magic setting then! :p

20. MerlintheMad

Physically impossible. The Stinger "trunk" is over 23 sq ft; with the seats down it is almost 40 sq ft. The Optima trunk probably looks deeper. Even that's deceptive, because the 23+ sq ft of the Stinger "trunk" is up to the window, i.e. removing the hatch cover. Yes, if you try to put things in the hatch without removing the cover, the Optima trunk is bigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted