Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Bad Koons Kia of Woodbridge

Discussion in 'The Stinger Dealership Experience' started by ecko04, May 15, 2019.

1. Stinger-Performance

Stinger-Performance United States Member

They certainly won't budge on that destination fee. I argued with them about it for 3 days over the phone and told them straight up I'd buy the car if they would drop that double charge and not only would they not drop it, they continued to argue that it was a legitimate means of calculating cost no matter how many times I explained that it's part of the MSRP and therefore can't be added back in unless they discount the MSRP by $1000. Told them to shove it and got a better deal elsewhere (smaller dealer discount but cheaper overall because of the lower processing fee and lack of a second destination charge).

Their lease payment also calculated out to be $670 a month for a GT that had been negotiated down to below 30k w/rebate. This was over $100 more than it should have been and even when I asked them what values they were using to calculate it so I could plug them into Kia's own lease calculator, the numbers weren't close. They refused to explain why this was, though they magically made it $50 cheaper the next day with no explanation (which still made it over $50 too high).

They should rename the place Crooks of Woodbridge.

2. DJB

DJB United States Newish Member

How much did you pay at kings? I’m in negotiations with them now. I have an OTD price at Koons Kia for a Gt1 for 40190 (taxes and everything included) but kings are telling me they would beat any price. They have a gt2 for 39k listed.

3. SnazZ

SnazZ United States Active Member

I bought my '18 Premium from Koon's, but I bought my '19 GT1 from King Kia in Gaithersburg. I'm not sure if what you're being offered is a good price these days...haven't been keeping track. I will say that my out the door price was lower for my GT1, but it was set up as a lease (that I have since bought out.). You might get a better deal by doing the Lease Then Buyout thing that has been discussed at length on these forums.

• Like Like x 1
  4. R. Walsh

R. Walsh United States Newish Member

I just purchased a new GT2 AWD from Hendrick Kia in Cary, NC, but I had found Koon's online first. i loved the price that their website quoted, but when I called to nail down some real numbers then all of that changed. I am not sure if I might have saved a few dollars going through thor not, but know that I am not comfortable making a major purchase from people that I don't trust. The people at Hendrick did everything that they said they would do before the sale and have followed up after the sale and been very supportive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SnazZ

That's a common complaint about Koon's. Their advertised price includes all rebates, including ones that very few people qualify for. After you cut through the BS, the potential to get a good deal is still there but their tactics turn off a lot of genuinely interested customers. I was able to cut through the BS on my first Stinger deal and tried again on my 2nd, but didn't get as good a deal as I was able to get elsewhere.

6. ecko04

ecko04 Stinger Enthusiast

Koons is trash. I don’t have enough characters to explain my utter disdain towards them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. R. Walsh

R. Walsh United States Newish Member

I think at some point in our conversation I heard the salesman say something about the important thing being where you got the cheapest price in the end. That isn't always the most important thing. If I feel that I am unable to trust what someone is telling me in one area then how can I trust what they are telling me about anything else. I am a simple man that believes in old fashioned values. Just do things the right way, make a fair profit, and stand behind what you do and/or say.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SnazZ

Agreed. That was another factor in why I chose not to buy from Koon's again.

9. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry United States New Member

I went to Koon's Kia initially but had a similar experience. I ended up going to Brown's Kia in Manassas instead

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. curt m

curt m United States Newish Member

I bought 2 stingers from Koons. First was my GT which was a good experience overall and the best price anywhere. The second was a base 2.0 for my son. They advertise the WOW price that everyone gets and when i went to buy it they would not honor the wow price saying there was a military rebate we did not qualify for. total BS cause the wow price promise clearly says everyone gets that price and other rebates (and specifically listed military) may apply to those who qualify. Bottom line it was still a good deal but $400 more than I should have paid and never going back to Koons.

11. rbix

rbix United States Member

Do you mind sharing what you paid for your GT2 AWD? Hendrick gave me a good but not great offer. Koons and Browns might have a more attractive offer. Need to see if I can push Hendrick more, or just make the 4 hour drive to VA/MD dealerships

12. DT88

DT88 United States Active Member

They have shitty communication too!

13. ecko04

ecko04 Stinger Enthusiast

The best thing I did was take a trip to Browns just on a hunch. Totally worth it!

14. PhillyKev

PhillyKev United States New Member

I bought my 2019 GT1 AWD in Black with Red Interior from Koons Kia back in August.

I had a great experience with my individual salesman, AB (never got his full name, only his nickname). We spoke over the phone when I saw a 2019 GT1 AWD for $39,500 (Ceramic Silver, Red Interior). We texted every day for about a week and he was genuinely excited for me to become a new Stinger owner. As I was about to leave to drive down from Philly, he called me and sadly told me that the car sold so if I didn't come down, he'd understand. But he told me there was a 2019 GT1 AWD (Black, red interior) (straight off the delivery truck with factory protective plastic still all on the seats and wheels, see attached pics). It kind of worked out because the CS Stinger had the front plate bracket installed due to VA law (don't need it in PA), but since the black Stinger was straight off the truck, they did not have time to install the bracket (AB told me over the phone that they would charge me to remove the bracket on the CS Stinger, so that's another W).

When I arrived, I test drove the car with AB and he was just as cool in person. Then I spoke with the manager and couldn't get him to waive any of the BS fees (~$2000). Besides those fees, the car was pretty much the price that AB had given me over the phone (AB got me an estimate at $36,000 because the specific color combination selling literally the minute I was going to drive down disappointed both of us). I had visited Value Kia in Philadelphia before I came down, and they told me my 2008 VW Passat was too old for the conquest rebate. AB helped me get that rebate by telling me that I could just show the title for my mom's 2014 MB E350 because he could apply the conquest rebate to any eligible cars in my immediate family (I don't know if he finessed this for me, or if that's actually within the rules). The only rebate I did not get was the $2000 rebate because I chose the 0% APR option, so that bumped it up to $38,000. Taxes were ~$3500 (I thought I'd luck out with VA's 4% sales tax, but since I was registering in Philly, that bumped it up to 8%), making the OTD price ~$43,500. Then when I was signing my paperwork with the finance department, the woman working commented on my "affluence" and tried to get me to buy a bunch of extra services for thousands of dollars more. She kept pushing me to buy those extra services, saying someone with the type of money I had shouldn't mind spending the extra bread. I have no idea where she got this idea that I was wealthy (I'm not... yet), considering I pulled up in my 2008 VW Passat with a stupid amount of body damage (I'm surprised I even got $500 for it), and I was dressed like your average Joe (My credit score was 820 at the time, so she may have been assuming from there). I felt like she was trying to take advantage of a younger customer (I'm 23) who would get scared into buying those services. I only bought the Gap Insurance, bringing my OTD price up to just under $45,000, just because that is the only extra insurance my parents ever got on their vehicles.

I did a plate transfer so I could use my old plate on my new Stinger, and was told the process should only take a couple weeks. A month and about a dozen parking tickets went by before I hit them back up to see why I wasn't getting my registration to use my plate to get an annual city parking pass. Some lady from the tags/title department told me I had to go to the DMV to transfer my title to the new owner. I called and fired back, saying that I signed everything and I shouldn't have to do anything more. She said this was a normal process for all out-of-state buyers. So I wait 4 hours at the DMV, and once I'm up, they tell me I have to go to the tags/title office down the street, and that the DMV is the wrong place to do that. Then I go to the tags/title office, and they tell me that it is not a normal process for the new car owner to do anything outside of singing the paperwork at the dealership, and I just had to wait it out. So this woman at Koons had no idea what she was talking about and made me take off work to do something I did not have to do. I called Koons back, and they admitted that my paperwork had gotten scrambled and they forgot to submit it. I asked for them to pay my parking tickets off since it was completely their fault and never heard back.

Anyway, I haven't heard back from Koons besides asking for feedback via automated emails, and I don't plan on connecting with them again. I went to Cherry Hill Kia in New Jersey for my first service, and they treated me like an absolute VIP over there. I bought staggered 19" Michelin A/S 3+ for this winter, and they installed them free of charge with my first service. The rep that was helping me walked up to where I was sitting every 10 minutes to update me on the status of my car, and how much longer every step would take. That was real awesome, especially because Koons set the bar so low for all Kia dealerships in my head.

The only kudos I can give to Koons is that they kept true to the price they gave me plus the fees (it was my choice to forgo the $2000 rebate to get the 0% APR) and that they did not charge me for any of the dealer add on such as mud guards. And AB was awesome, I could not speak more highly of him. He was honest from day 1, and our relationship was built off pure excitement about the Stinger, nothing financial or business related. I'll never go back to Koons unless he takes over the dealership :laugh:.

IMG_1146.JPG IMG_8640.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. me&stinger

me&stinger Active Member

Aside from the GAP insurance (through the dealership), sounds like a great deal! The red interior is eye-catching and I'm sure you already know that the Stinger is a total joy of a ride! Congrats on your new car! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. DT88

DT88 United States Active Member

That tags and title lady is worthless. I had to deal with her too.

Draft saved Draft deleted