1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Bad Koons Kia of Woodbridge

Discussion in 'The Stinger Dealership Experience' started by ecko04, May 15, 2019.

1. ecko04

ecko04 United States Member

My wife was interested in the Telluride and I was interested in the Stinger which I was considering trading or selling my Camaro.

On Saturday 5/27, we test drove the Telluride EX with a salesman I think his name was Ramon. When we asked him to do the valuation on my wife’s 2016 Tucson he said it would take 30-40 mins, this is after he had already checked the car out, which we found to be odd.

During the time while we were waiting I asked to checkout the Stinger GT1 and GT2. He gets a key and we go out to a micro blue GT2. After sitting in it, I told him I wanted to test drive it. He then tells me what management doesn’t allow test drives on the Stinger without a commitment to buy, which I found to be absurd — especially from a person with a $60K Camaro. Why would I commit to buy something I had only just sat in? I could’ve lied and said sure I’d buy it just for the test drive, but why should a prospective customer have to jump through those hoops?

We go back inside and he says he can do $16K on the trade, which was fine. I asked him to get me numbers so I can see the price of the Telluride, taxes, fees, etc. When he came back with the paper I’m reviewing it and the manager added an additional destination fee of nearly $2000. This is in addition to the already included destination fee on the sticker of $1045, and a $799 dealer processing fee. Also, while he told us $16K on the trade, the sheet had $15K. Add it all up and we’re $3000 over MSRP.

At this point we gathered our belonging and left because we don’t have time for these games. Either you want to sell a car, or two, and get the sale in the books or you want to stonewall. When simple numbers look off, I walk because I’m not going back and forth about what should be self-evident to a business.

It’s sad because Koons Kia is 10 mins from our house and I just purchased my sister in law a new Hyundai Sonata from the Koons in Silver Springs with such a pleasant experience there.

I took my business to Brown’s Kia of Manassas where I purchased the GT1 Stinger.

2. BT_STINGER

BT_STINGER United States Newish Member

They have the lowest advertised price of Stingers, and when i email to ask the detailed discounts separating dealer discount and rebate they never reply. It doesnt help im out of state, but getti g thibgs in writing from them has beeen painful so i gave up. How did you guys like the telluride?

3. ecko04

Their prices are incentive baked. You must finance with Kia to take advantage of them. I bought from Brown's Kia of Manassas and while their online prices are a little higher, when I went into the dealership and got a print out of the OTD price, it was actually lower than Koon's by about $1000 on an RWD GT1. When we finalized the deal, they actually owed me $400.

Telluride is dope!

4. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

• Like Like x 1
  5. ecko04

Koons is trying to become a volume dealer for the Stinger. If you look at their inventory they have about 30 on the lot, which gets people through the door given other dealers may have at most 5 or 6. They use the quantity on hand as a tactic to imply that they know more about them than other dealers. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

They get to those prices by factoring in all incentives, even those that don’t stack like conquest and loyalty (you can only have one or the other), military, KIA Finance, and any dealership discounts. When you go in they figure out which you don’t qualify for and add those back to the price. They also have a $799 processing fee (typical in the Northern Virginia area) and other fees they add into it.

You also have to bend their arm to get an OTD printout. They hated giving it to me because they knew I was going to use it to shop around. I didn’t even need to use it because everyone else was at least $1000 less OTD than Koons for an apples to apples vehicle.

6. celwin

celwin United States Member

Hmm. I had the opposite experience with them. I'm in NJ/NY area and when looking I saw they had the best price on a GT. I asked for an itemized OTD price and the sales guy promptly texted me a documented one. Since I planned on using Kia's 1.9 financing I qualified for all the discounts with the exception of the military one. I drove 250 miles one way to pick the car up. Filled out paper work, waited for the car to be dusted off and drove back home. It was a hassle free purchase. Most of my dealings was through email/txt. I absolutely HATE wasting time at dealerships. I made that abundantly clear when i started communication with them via email and kept reinforcing that notion. In the end the OTD price was the best I could find in my max driving distance.

7. ecko04

Yes, they seemed more than willing to help us with Kia financing but that's not the direction we wanted to go in. Given that we qualify for all manner of other rebates through USAA, conquest, and loyalty, we didn't need, nor want, Kia financing. Ramon is the salesperson I dealt with and he was terrible. Johnathan Hernandez was 100x better but by that point, I had soured on them and the pricing at Brown's was better.

Draft saved Draft deleted