Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger Airbag Disassembly

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, May 15, 2018.

1. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

A few people have installed it including myself
    I have a gt2
    It's just the e logo version they sell in korea
    I dont know of any people having compatabilty issues or problems. I have no idea if it works w limited. I have no idea if the compability tool on Ebay is even correct. I think people aren't answering cos they dont know for sure which models it works with. It def. Works w gt2 model... w limited I have no idea but if the steering wheel is identical, most likely it should be ok
    if i remember corrently there were 3 springs behind the airbag, and wire connectors were identical

2. Hojae84

i guess one way to be sure if it works is to look up the replacement part# for the airbag assembly for limited vs gt1 vs gt2
    if its the same, most likely ur good
    i say most likely because we won't know for sure until someone gets in an accident ;)
    i only mentioned i got no error codes or anything because the part fit, looked identical and i am assuming the car may? detect there is no airbag or bad airbag connection if it was incompatible

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

So you're doing all this airbag fiddling with the steering wheel just to get an "E" badge?! Why not just get a high quality overlay for the KIA logo instead?

4. Hojae84

well its really a very easy quick change if you know what you are doing and have the right tools (just a longish screwdriver).
    disconnect battery, push a screwdriver in 3 holes and disconnect 2 wires. then put new one in.
    personally i didn't want the overlay logo to protrude out more than stock.. also didn't want to deal with the possibility of it peeling off over time etc. i had bad experience w adhesive remover and my stinger and don't want to use it in my car ever again.

5. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

finally, an answer to what was going on, and it had to be done in a roundabout way. thanks merlin for asking in a nice manner instead of my boneheaded way

6. Swizon~

Swizon~ United States New Member

7. Swizon~

Swizon~ United States New Member

If you look at the video, the person popping the airbag/horn button has power feeding the car. You can tell by door open indicator on the dash. Also, the car shown isn't a GT. You can tell by the shape of the steering wheel and the absence of the GT badge on the bottom of the "D" shaped steering wheel. I just ordered one and it got to me in 4 x days!! I used the same guy on Ebay. Super stoked. I poped the negative terminal on the battery, waited 15 minutes, made sure that the cabin lights didn't come on and proceeded with the swap. No more KIA! Don't get me wrong. I love~ my KIA but the E badge looks pretty darn good which is the reason I'm did the swap.

2018 KIA Stinger GT1 Pearl White / Black Interior - Shaved

8. jaccfrost

jaccfrost United States Member

You used the same method with the screwdriver?

9. Rafa

Rafa United States Member

It is simple swap and the part would work with any KIA stinger in my opinion. I spend more time at the hardware store looking for a screwdriver and I found the right fit that wont scratch any hardware. "Husky 1/8 in x 6 in." and Yes also disconnecting the battery positive pole was a pain. I recommend disconnecting the positive over the negative. The two plugs in the back were kinda tricky to disconnect but I figure it out. I needed my two hands to disconnect them properly without braking anything. Last, after debagging the entire car. I love that everywhere I go people ask me... what is it? and I say is Kia... and they say N Way!!!! it looks sweet. I always received complements about the car even when it had the KIA badge. Believe me when I say you wont be disappointed for exchanging the air bag for the E badge. I used to own several Lexus models and I have to say by far this is the best car for the money. I just which the KIA service be similar to Lexus service department and then I would not know the deference. For beemers owner, I also used to had a 535 V6 twin turbo and the stinger is way ahead of that car in all aspects. To close it out. you can tell I don't hold to for long, but KIA killed it with the stinger and she is a keeper. I would be a forever proud the owner (since 01/02/2018)and the first to get one in Reno. Keep it real all!!!!

10. Rafa

Rafa United States Member

In case if you are still thinking about spending the extra money for an airbag with the E badge. Here are some pics to motivate you to do the change. It looks clean and original. You can do other aftermarket mods to your stinger. But in my opinion, for this one you should keep it OEM.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Madman

Madman Australia Active Member Sustaining Member

Not convinced the words ".....push in harder the airbag will pop out...." are exactly what you want to happen?

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted