Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger Airbag Disassembly

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, May 15, 2018.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Kia Stinger Airbag disassembly

2. Camcom2000

Camcom2000 United States New Member

I watched the video many times but I cannot see what he is doing with the tool. Is it a screwdriver or a special tool. Does he just push or twist. I just got the new airbag and want to install it just not sure what to do

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

A screwdriver
    Use a longish screwdriver (I used a philips) put in each of 3 holes.
    Put screwdriver as far in until u get resistance then push in harder the airbag will pop out. I suggest each side then finally bottom.
    Remember disconnect battery and wait a few minutes before starting. It's under spare tire in trunk

4. Camcom2000

I did my install yesterday. Worked perfectly. I was a little scared when I plugged in the battery. I did notice and mention to others you might have to reboot the navigation system by pulling the SD card and snapping it back in cause my Nav locked up when power was restored. Other than that it was a snap. Now I’m trying to sell the original air bag on eBay. See if I can recoup some of my money.

5. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

ok, have i missed something, why are we changing the airbags? or are we removing the airbag and installing a chip dispenser?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alex Popov

Alex Popov Canada Newish Member

How much are you asking for it?

7. jaccfrost

jaccfrost United States Member

I’m assuming that you replaced the KIA emblem on the steering wheel? with the “E”? And did you get that new “airbag” hub off of eBay?

8. Rafa

Rafa United States Member

I'm thinking of doing the same swap. I don't feel to confortable of just sticking a badge. How much did the airbag cost you an how long did you have to wait for the part to be delivered? Do you have a GT2 and it works fine?

9. Camcom2000

First let me say the install was easy. Yes I installed the E airbag to replace the factory Kia airbag. It went in without a hitch. I was looking to sell the original airbag for 100.00 on eBay but no bidders yet. I bought the E airbag from a guy on eBay who lives in Korea. He was asking 350.00 each.

10. Hojae84

yep I did the same seller rpmtrade in korea fast shipping.
    I also plan to sell original kia airbag on Ebay. Just be patient stinger is fairly new and accidents will happen so I'm sure kia airbag will sell over time on Ebay at a decent price

11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Ditto that unanswered question: What are you guys doing? Why fiddle with airbags in the first place? The video: WTH!?

12. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

I would be too scared that the airbag would suddenly explode in my face.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alex Popov

Alex Popov Canada Newish Member

it is really 1 minute adventure, very simple

14. Hojae84

Just for those who want to put in the Korea spec E logo airbag/horn piece.
    Remove neg battery connection under the spare and wait 10 minutes. Also test make sure cabin lights dont go on etc
    Then there is no way airbag will go off.
    Never do this with battery connected lol

15. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

Which is why you disconnect the battery first.

Out of curiosity, any Stinger owners in Korea feel the urge to replace their E badges with the oval Kia badges?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Rafa

Hey "Hojae84" did the new airbag works for stinger GT2. the sellers link is not clear if it works with the GT2. Since I put in my specs using the capatibility tool they have on ebay and it says is not compatible with the GT2 but yes for the Limited. So I'm confuse. Is you stinger a GT2? Does it really matters if the car is a GT1 or GT2 for compatibility with the E badge airbag? Can anybody help me out here with my question?

17. Hojae84

I have a gt2. No issues or error code after install

18. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I still don't understand WHY!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rafa

Thanks for your reply. I just place my order and I will post pics after the install if anyone is interested.

20. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

ok, seriously people, a question was asked and no one has answered. this is not how a forum works. if there is a problem with the airbags, a little info would be appreciated. if this is about changing the logo, why would a code be thrown and why would there be a problem about what options we have with our stingers? clarity is a beautiful thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted