Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We're so glad you found us. Please click the button below and become a member!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia must not want to sell many GT's

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Mike_TX, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Rufus

Rufus United States Active Member

You should be able to find lots of info regarding the Lap3 Uncle chip on the threads more dedicated to tuning. Several forum members here have posted in-depth reviews of this chip for both 3.3 and 2.0 motors, as well as dyno graphs. I believe there may even be an installation vid on here--for sure there are step-by-step pics :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rufus

Rufus United States Active Member

Forums>Kia Stinger technical discussions>engine/drivetrain/exhaust...@Marty17 was nice enough to post a real in-depth, 1st hand experience with it. Of course, any performance mods made must be understood to accelerate wear and tear on the motor/tranny. YRMV

3. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Member

Thanks, Rufus. I also see there's another active thread on this ... I didn't look far enough!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

I'm looking at a GT awd price dropped to 37,500 over the weekend they are still trying to give me a lease of 600 a month with 1k down, I'm baffled by this am I in the wrong to think this is ridiculous monthly lease price for a 37k car with 1k down

5. MarkyMark

MarkyMark United States Active Member

Looking forward to your road trip report, milage, how it feels after an hour or more on the open highway, road noise, etc...

I'm 6'1" and I hit my head in either the sunroof or non-sunroof versions in the back seat - but this is what a caveat. I love how people sit and test a back seat. They sit as tall as they can as if Mom is measuring them to see how much they've grown over the summer... I get into a back seat, get in position and chill the way I would if someone where driving me around. It's just fine with headroom when sitting in slightly slouching/relaxed reality mode.

NOTE: I'm long-legged. Thus I might have the leg length of many 6'2" guys. So if you have a tall torso (or will be carting around people who do), keep that in mind.

What I find odd is the lack of toe room below the front seats. That is just weird. Viewing out the back seat is vernally horrific, sacrificed for cool sheet metal design.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States Active Member

Probably because of the sub-woofer under the front seat....

7. MarkyMark

A GT w/AWD MSRP is: $41,450
    The residual is 53% of MSRP: $21,969
    Assuming 36mo lease @ $600 a month = $21,600 total stream of payments
    $1,000 down
    Total: $44,569

Now, there is also the $900 delivery fee on top of MSRP and the lease, along with title and license fee - and your state taxes. Not sure where they put those into play.

Bottom Line: If a dealer just offers a lease program, they are likely packing in the extra Money Factor of .0004 and who knows what else?... A lease is called a fleece for a reason ; )

Just on the face of it, your purchase price looks pretty fantastic! I assume they have thrown in the $750 rebate (which is out there right now for purchasing at 1.9% - but some have received the .9% WITH the rebate also). Still, that's somewhere below invoice with the $750 thrown in on top it would appear.

Nice work! Best price I've seen so far!!!

As for my pernicious thoughts? Can't wait to see what comes around the fall/early winter when the 2019's are preparing to arrive, and what deals/rebates are available. If this is what they are doing right now... I'll gladly take anther $2k+ off please.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Member

I think you can talk down that delivery fee and license fees, especially on a lease.

9. jrhodes87

Should edit my post. Gt awd for 37,335. 1k down and the dude won't go below 600. I'm going to have to go run the numbers with markys formula when I get home. Guy won't give me any info via email either.

10. MarkyMark

Of all the things that can be worked on, the delivery fee is what the dealer ($900) is paying Kia for the car. Sure, they "could" dicker that with you, but they are just packing it in somewhere else, or have enough margin to knock off a few delivery bucks to make the customer feel they are getting their way - that's the name of the game anyway. But in reality, they've gotta pay Kia $900 regardless...

The ONE big place you want to dicker on a lease is right from the get-go. Start right at the MSRP! I HIGHLY suggest if you are a card-carrying Costco member you ask for that price. That is, Invoice MINUS $500. That IS the Costco program is dealers are going to honor their contract with Costco...

Thus, you ask to see the invoice and ask for the Costco price which is $500 below that. I'd just email them and ask for that before doing ANYTHING with a dealer. And make sure they are clear that is BEFORE any incentives factory to dealer or factory to customer, that is ONLY the dealer providing the Costco pricing, nothing more.

If it is a straight up dealer, and they say yes. Then THAT is your starting price for the lease. THEN have them take off the $4,800, $5,400 or $7,200 on a loaded GT2 AWD, lease cash, and THAT price is your Adjusted Capital Cost with which SO much will be based on.

Depending on your state, but often, the Sales Tax will be assessed on the Adjusted Capital Cost of the vehicle, NOT the MSRP. Do your homework and you can save a LOT of money. Don't, and you'll likely get fleeced left, right, up and down and 10 ways until Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Derek Duson

Derek Duson United States Newish Member

I get 22mpg city driving with my GT on comfort mode after 1500 miles of driving vs. the 19 mpg i was getting with 20 mile on the car.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. MarkyMark

That's pretty good, as the sticker has, what, 19mpg city? Alas, the Portland/Metro area has plenty of hills all around, with horrific traffic (#10 in the country now and moving north). We (meaning metro government) likes to pack everyone like home-apartments, with no way for the roads to handle the congestion. It's been a real pleasure watching the quality of living just tank around here. Can't wait to get out of this state and get to Idaho, or Montana. Can't wait. Oh sorry, little rabbit trail there.

What was my point? My point is, if you are somewhere relatively flat, 22mpg translates to about 20mpg here, at best. ; (

13. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Member

It'd be much easier to argue up your residual than it would be to argue down MSRP at this point.

14. Derek Duson

Derek Duson United States Newish Member

Im in the St. Louis Area and traffic here sucks as well being surrounded by 3 rivers kinda keeps traffic flowing to a point.

15. MarkyMark

Exactly right. The dealer wants you in a car (a lot of people that lease have nothing really to put down, or can't afford the car they want so...), and thus they'll lower the month and pack it on the residual to get you to sign.

But I'm going to buyout immediately. Thus, I want MSRP low, low everything low low low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mike_TX

The residual on a lease isn't negotiable - it's set by the mfr. The things that ARE negotiable are the cap cost (the bottom line price you pay), the money factor, the length of the lease and the miles, and your trade-in (if any).

I actually calculate the lease payment on this car at $608, based on a 4% interest rate (.000016 money factor), 53% residual (not sure if that's right), and 36 month term. That's assuming the $37,000 is a final cap cost, with no other charges involved, and nothing due at signing except maybe the first payment.

So I would say the $600 offer is pretty legit!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike_TX

Just out of curiosity, is that just so you don't have to make monthly payments?

18. jrhodes87

Ok so I'd be looking at wanting to do 48 months. Which I haven't seen much consensus on, is it a bad idea to do 48 month lease term? Honestly I plan to buy the car out at the end of the lease but for now I just have a set budget per month I'm looking to achieve.

19. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States Active Member

In my case, I just want the lease rebate, then pay it off with one payment. Apparently the big Kia factory rebate is only available for leases. Many dealers are advertising these as "discounts" off MSRP to attract traffic. But the dealer has nothing to do with it so they can mark it up over MSRP and then claim to be giving $2,000 or whatever off of MSRP when in fact they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mike_TX

Ah, okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted