kia stinger store

Just need to praise my 2021 GT-Line!

photoguy007

Sure. First and foremost, if you decide to go jb4, do yourself a favor and spring for the plugs (HKS MX45XL). Got mine on Amazon but they go quick. They will need to be gapped regardless of what any documentation says!!!!! The stock plugs are said to be ok on map 1 with a re-gap of 0.024 - 26. Good thing about the 2.0 is that the plugs can be changed in about 15 mins. 3.3 owners wish they had it that good.;) For me, no stock plugs. just want the best opportunity for "full combustion" and "safety". Keep the stock plugs for "just in case".

Don't go changing maps without logs and if you are not sure about reading your own, send them to Terry or in the "tuning" thread on this forum and have them critiqued. If you get a thumbs up, move to next map. If you are not going to go "all out' with mods, stay with map2. I have no dyno runs but I can tell you based upon logs and drive-ability, MAP 2 produces a very noticeable HP gain as well as torque. Enough to justify the JB4 in my opinion. I have only run 93 octane from day one even before attempting the jb4. MAP2 "Technically" only requires 93 octane but I know from my logs/performance that adding an "off the shelf" octane booster such as "Royal Purple" makes a difference in how smooth boost is delivered over the RPM range. This is only a 3 point octane boost but any additional helps. If you want serious octane boost, go for the "Boostane". You can order it online and has to be measured correctly.

In all, after the new engine, I only run the jb4 for the added "kick" when passing a$$holes on my commute but engine is running very well "stock". That being said, it will be your choice at the end of the day but I REALLY can't wait for my local dealer to get one of the 2.5's on the lot. They have an "Ascot" green MY 22 in the showroom but I still want to wait on the 2.5.

HTH......:thumbup:

Thank you for all the info, this is what I needed to know. It really does run excellent stock. Any thoughts on Map 1?

monusa

Thank you for all the info, this is what I needed to know. It really does run excellent stock. Any thoughts on Map 1?
Hope "Terry@bms" doesn't bonk me for this but for my "dime", I wouldn't even connect it just for map 1. Of course, you have to start somewhere to determine what you need to move up in maps. Now that being said, many folks will say anything less than map 3 is not worth it but I do think it is an excellent device and does what it promises to do. So if that makes it worth it for you, it will be good money spent. Was worth it for me. One note: I am scheduled for service on Friday at the dealer so tomorrow after work, I will set it back to map 0 (disable) and disconnect the unit. Drive the car for about 5 - 10 mins without it and take it in for service. Another "nice" aspect of the jb4. I run my OBD2 cable around the driver door jam vs through the steering grommet in the firewall. Just lazy like that.....;)

I can say that I would not even look at the other "devices" on the market that "claim" to do the same thing.

photoguy007

Hope "Terry@bms" doesn't bonk me for this but for my "dime", I wouldn't even connect it just for map 1. Of course, you have to start somewhere to determine what you need to move up in maps. Now that being said, many folks will say anything less than map 3 is not worth it but I do think it is an excellent device and does what it promises to do. So if that makes it worth it for you, it will be good money spent. Was worth it for me. One note: I am scheduled for service on Friday at the dealer so tomorrow after work, I will set it back to map 0 (disable) and disconnect the unit. Drive the car for about 5 - 10 mins without it and take it in for service. Another "nice" aspect of the jb4. I run my OBD2 cable around the driver door jam vs through the steering grommet in the firewall. Just lazy like that.....;)

I can say that I would not even look at the other "devices" on the market that "claim" to do the same thing.
Appreciate your point of view. I'm going to run stock for a while, wouldn't mind a little more kick, but...

I simply love this car

monusa

Appreciate your point of view. I'm going to run stock for a while, wouldn't mind a little more kick, but...

I simply love this car
Actually, the overall "best" option especially if you don't want the responsibility of making sure everything is running right. Like i said, I am not trying to tune the devil out of my Stinger so the jb4 gives me the added "kick" running map2 that I believe the car should have (see my22 2.5) and although risk is still part of the equation, doing things the way they were intended, minimizes that risk. The 3.3 is another animal altogether but I have not regrets at all to having the 2.0

I will leave mine off for a week or two at a time just because but then I will have a moment on my commute to work where I wished it was connected.:sneaky:

monusa

I know this goes against current thinking, but at some point, I do plan on trading mine for either 3.3 Stinger or 3.0 Supra. Even though I would still like to test drive one of the new 2.5's, moving up to a turbo 6 is just a "natural" progression for me anyway. When I take mine for service tomorrow, the dealer just got an Ascot green MY22 GT on the lot..........right deal, will bring it home.:whistle:

Want the power without a need for a tune.

photoguy007

I know this goes against current thinking, but at some point, I do plan on trading mine for either 3.3 Stinger or 3.0 Supra. Even though I would still like to test drive one of the new 2.5's, moving up to a turbo 6 is just a "natural" progression for me anyway. When I take mine for service tomorrow, the dealer just got an Ascot green MY22 GT on the lot..........right deal, will bring it home.:whistle:

Want the power without a need for a tune.
Supra! I was thinking about the Toyota, but I'm still attached to my Z3.

I'm thinking you'll have a 2.5 tomorrow, lol! forum.jpg

Last edited:

monusa

I would think on it but the one they have is the 3.3 so I doubt they move any on the price unless it is a "lease".

Supra! I was thinking about the Toyota, but I'm still attached to my Z3
They are KICKIN!!!!! Unfortunately, the new Z's with the same powertrain, aren't moving so well.:(

photoguy007

I would think on it but the one they have is the 3.3 so I doubt they move any on the price unless it is a "lease".

They are KICKIN!!!!! Unfortunately, the new Z's with the same powertrain, aren't moving so well.:(
I was drooling over the Supra!

photoguy007

After the test drive, I still am......:)
I'm not test driving anything for quite a while, the temptation is dangerous. I didn't even test drive the 3.3, I just knew I'd purchase.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
I'm not test driving anything for quite a while, the temptation is dangerous. I didn't even test drive the 3.3, I just knew I'd purchase.
I know exactly where you're coming from. I also managed to resist that urge.
The difference here from the 2.0 to the 3.3 in the same trim is only 7K EUR but the anual tax on the 3.3 is 30 times higher. You have to be pretty wealthy to afford cars over 3.0 in most Eu countries.

photoguy007

I know exactly where you're coming from. I also managed to resist that urge.
The difference here from the 2.0 to the 3.3 in the same trim is only 7K EUR but the anual tax on the 3.3 is 30 times higher. You have to be pretty wealthy to afford cars over 3.0 in most Eu countries.
Wow! 30X! I have friends from Denmark, I know the Danes also pay high tax on vehicles. Our taxes are relatively low here in the U.S.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I mean, just for you to get an idea of what's it like here, you can buy a Ford Mondeo (which is the biggest Ford sedan in Europe) with a 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder Ecoboost engine. Crazy!
Get one quick, Ford stopped producing this car last month. (How does it even move with an engine that puny?)

photoguy007

Get one quick, Ford stopped producing this car last month. (How does it even move with an engine that puny?)
I had an EV prior to the Stinger, I do have to say, I'm spending so much more on fuel vs electric. A definite bummer! But...

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
The fun factor of the Stinger is hard to beat. The most fun I had was driving it from VA to AZ over 3 days, that was a blast! I’m the opposite of you in going to an EV from the Stinger, it’s not as fast as the Stinger but pretty quick if you floor it. Now that I got the e-tron, I found out about the S version that due out later, with 3 motors, 500 hp and 717 lb ft of torque, with a 0-60 of 4.5 sec and they also reprogrammed the air suspension to drop it lower. Damn that thing looks great!

1618029483742.jpeg

Sportback isn’t bad either:
1618029716080.jpeg

KIA should build this with electric power:
1618029832006.jpeg

Lots of space for battery underneath to give it good range to go with the performance they can tweak it for.

Last edited:
G

G-212062

The fun factor of the Stinger is hard to beat. The most fun I had was driving it from VA to AZ over 3 days, that was a blast! I’m the opposite of you in going to an EV from the Stinger, it’s not as fast as the Stinger but pretty quick if you floor it. Now that I got the e-tron, I found out about the S version that due out later, with 3 motors, 500 hp and 717 lb ft of torque, with a 0-60 of 4.5 sec and they also reprogrammed the air suspension to drop it lower. Damn that thing looks great!

View attachment 57481

Sportback isn’t bad either:
View attachment 57482

KIA should build this with electric power:
View attachment 57483

Lots of space for battery underneath to give it good range to go with the performance they can tweak it for.
I loved my EV, I actually almost turned back twice picking up the Stinger. An electric Stinger would be perfect in my eyes. The E-tron Sportback is pretty sexy.

I left the EV world for now, I need one with much range, I love to road trip with minimal stopping. I’m all for an EV, but not the perfect fit at the moment.

Yes, love the Stinger for trips, I’ve done two already, have only owned couple of weeks. MPG is impressive if I stay below 80mph. One trip I was getting 29mpg, the other was 34mpg (wind on my side).

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
The car certainly feels better at higher speeds. Prior to the Stinger being announced, the A5 Sportback was on the top of my list. I drove one as well as the Stinger 2.0T, the Stinger I was planning on getting. I wasn't happy with the power delivery of the Stinger, compared to the Audi, plus the price difference was crazy. The 3.3T on the other hand was closer in price, offered more options, had a quieter interior and was oh so much more faster. 3.3T won me over. Got a second after I wrecked the first. Would have considered a 3rd had the facelift offered more of an upgrade for me.

On the other side, we still have our lowered, '17 Optima Hybrid, averaging 36mpg wearing UHP AS tires and me borrowing it from the wife to drive the snot out of it, in Sport mode! Yes, it has a sport mode and it handles quite well. 4 years on and still doing quite well and looking almost new. KIA's paint job is the main think letting this car down.

photoguy007

To add about EV's.
The current Audi EV's are just too expensive for the range (Audi fan). I believe with the current technology, the minimum for any EV should be 400 miles. Most of the population won't switch til' we see these numbers and higher, also we need more efficient charging on the highways. Nio (China) has the best charging solution. They have stations, that will swap your battery in 3 minutes, perfect! The future gas station? You can search it on YouTube.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
To add about EV's.
The current Audi EV's are just too expensive for the range (Audi fan). I believe with the current technology, the minimum for any EV should be 400 miles. Most of the population won't switch til' we see these numbers and higher, also we need more efficient charging on the highways. Nio (China) has the best charging solution. They have stations, that will swap your battery in 3 minutes, perfect! The future gas station? You can search it on YouTube.
Now, swapping batteries, there's a thought. Never entered my head! But that is definitely the way to go in the early stages of actual infrastructure replacement. Car's designed to allow a battery to be dropped out the bottom of an elevated car would be perfectly sensible. The battery swapping station charges them on-site and puts them in their stock. Then the only thing to pursue is increasing batteries to longer range.