Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Jan 21, 2018.

1. usagi

usagi United States Member

most ABS sound exactly like grinding. sounds like your brakes are made of gravel.

2. Manaz

Manaz Australia Active Member

You may feel a pulsing through the brake pedal as well as pressure rapidly dissipates and builds over and over in the brake lines.

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Two I discovered on a trip this week:

GT2 (shift by wire system) won't let you shift into drive with the door open. I was ready to exit with door open and just wanted to pull up another foot or so, wouldn't let me without closing the door.

In rain and certain lighting conditions, LKA (Lane Keep Assist) will pick up tire tracks of vehicles ahead as lane markers, and constantly nag you (and steer) to follow them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

Also, the adaptive cruise control in heavy rain doesn't do a good job seeing the car in front of you stopping and starts accelerating instead of breaking scared the crap out of me twice.

5. Legendsk

Legendsk United States Member

Pinpointed a software bug today. If you leave the car (with your key in your pocket), running. For instance, back out of the garage, stop and run back into the house for something, without turning the engine off. It will still fold in the mirrors as you walk away from it. But when you come back and get in, it doesn't fold them back out. If you manually fold them out by flipping the switch to out and then back to auto, they will work fine until the next time you do this. Really minor thing but a classic example of how complex things become when you have as much software as this car does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

True, it will automatically put you into park, but if you put it back in drive/reverse again it will let you override it and move that extra few feet as needed.:thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. StungBlueGT2

I’ve actually done this a few times, unfortunately:rolleyes: but never had the mirrors fold back in. It just beeps for like 30 seconds letting you know you left the car running. But now you have me curious and will have to try it again to be sure.;)

8. eflyguy

Not on mine, with the door open, it won't shift out of park. I tried everything, had to close the door. GT2 here.

9. eflyguy

What year is yours?

I left it running with my daughter in the car several times while I ran into a store or went to take a picture this weekend, it complained but mirrors did not fold. I've also done it at home when I forgot something in the house..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Legendsk

2018 Sorry, thought it was in my sig??? Edited it again. Will see if it sticks this time.

11. eflyguy

That might be the difference then. Certain mine doesn't do that, though.

12. StungBlueGT2

I struggled with it at first too until I figured it out. You simply have to let go of the brake completely for a second or two and then press it again as if you were shifting into reverse/drive for the first time. It will then unlock from park and let you choose reverse/drive so you can move again.:thumbup: GT2 here too, hense my username.;)

Hope that helps and relieves some frustration as it did for me.

13. MrSmoofy

MY 2019 GT2 does this. If the door or hatch is open I can't shift into drive or reverse. I even got it into a state once now sure how that it wouldn't let me shift into drive or reverse until I put my seat belt on. Couldn't figure that one out until I finally read the screen that was telling me to fasten seat belt.

14. Tobstertx3

Tobstertx3 United States Active Member Texas Stinger Swarm

2018 GT2, mine doesn't do it either.

15. Schpok

Schpok Germany Active Member

Auto hold does Not activate when you are in reverse

16. MrSmoofy

Mine does.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Legendsk

Made an interesting (to me) discovery yesterday. Perhaps I'm just late to the party, but. . . . .
    All the tires I have had in the past, starting with my model-T had a tread pattern that was repetitive. Even huge tractor tires which might only have a bar every foot or so, the bars are all the same width and the distance between them is the same. Some tires had different width bars, but were arranged in some repetitive pattern.

I decided my front tires were wearing more on the outside than I was expecting for 2,800 miles. They are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I was looking at them closely and realized they have 3 different width bars, no surprise. But they are not arranged in a repetitive pattern. There may be 1 or 2 or 3 wide bars and then 1 or 2 or 3 medium width bars and then 1 or 2 or 3 narrow width bars, in a random order. WTF???

It occurs to me that with any repetitive pattern at various speeds there would be resonant frequencies and I suppose that could amplify the tire noise. A completely random tread arrangement would not set up a resonant frequency and might in fact be quieter. Perhaps that's the intent by Michelin? Is this just one of those many things I am late in discovering and everyone else already knew about?

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Modern tire technology is fascinating and is advancing rapidly. It's truly astonishing what tires achieve when you realize how little the contact patch is relative to the size and weight of the vehicle (and occupants!). But not related specifically to Stinger... ;)

19. Schpok

Schpok Germany Active Member

I tried it again yesterday. I pressed the brake as hard as I cound, the auto hold sign in the dash won't go green, when I'm in reverse.

maybe the EU stinger is different once again :)

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

In this case, smarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted