Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Gas. 87, 91, 93 Octane?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Beege, Feb 3, 2018.

Which octane do you use?

1. 87

31 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. 91

78 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. 93

116 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Does the car know the difference? I would pay the difference to make the difference. I'm just glad it doesn't cost more here, of course. But we have seen brief $4 / gallon here in Utah a few times. In Cali it rarely goes below $4 / gallon anymore, for top tier premium. Sounds cheap when compared to the EU, of course. But if the engine "cares" over the long term, it doesn't make sense to put thousands out for a car and then slowly kill the engine with lower priced gas. If you have any doubts about hurting the engine with lower octane than premium, it also doesn't make sense to go against what you feel is happening when you conserve several dollars each time you fill up.

2. davebo

davebo United States Stinger Enthusiast

Sure, as long as you don't trip over the fuel line, faceplant into the gas pump and end up with a $50k hospital bill. I'll swap you for universal healthcare :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

With the weak exchange rate, Canadian prices on fuel right now are pretty competitive with regions in the U.S. Locally premium top-tier fuel is selling for a low of 1.12/liter (Costco), and is readily available for 1.18 at other top-tier stations. (per Gas Buddy).

The higher number of 1.18/l converts to 4.46 CAD for a US gallon, which at today's exchange rate is about 3.37 USD/gal. Filling at Costco brings that down to 3.19/gal.

A quick check of prices in Saskatoon shows premium at around 1.30/l, which works out to 3.72 USD/gal - still not that bad.

4. Mike Svensson

Mike Svensson United States New Member

Lower octane will result in faster combustion which results in peak combustion pressures as the piston is still moving up, resulting in knock.

5. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

i just filled up with premium at Costco here in Saskatoon at 114.9/L = $3.19 per gallon in USD. That's about 10 cents/ gallon more than in Minot, ND, so not too bad at all.

My only beef is that we can't find any fuel higher than 91 octane locally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

Region and Province specific. Huge difference depending on where you live. Right now, 93 octane is selling for about 1.53/litre in Vancouver, and that's much cheaper than what it was a couple of weeks ago. Would love to have gas prices at 1.12/litre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Agreed. Glad to see BC prices are coming down recently, but you guys (especially on the coast) really take a beating on fuel - I believe VCR prices set a new national record a couple of weeks back. :(

8. Stephen Brubaker

Stephen Brubaker United States Newish Member

Now for my 2 cents. Here in Cedar Rapids Iowa, the three main grades are 87, 91, or 93. You can get the 87 with or without ethanol. Most 91 is ethanol free. The 93 can be bought at several locations but is a 10% ethanol blend. I don't use ethanol in my cars and they push it hard here in corn country. So, I use only 91 in my Stinger. I also own a 2010 370Z and have only used 91 in it. Yes the 91 costs more, but I took that into account when I bought my performance cars. If you want the power, you have to use the right gas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GTB

GTB United States Active Member

Your stinger will make a lot more power with e30. 10 gallons of 93 + 3-4 gallons of e85. I’ve been running this blend for 6 months now. Almost breaks your neck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Active Member

I alternate between 87 and 91.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

The right gas is 93, according to the manufacturer. Of course for a while that same manufacturer said 87 was the right fuel...

12. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Active Member

Edmund's makes lists of cars that are premium unleaded recommended and premium unleaded required. 2018 Stingers, all models, are listed as premium unleaded recommended, not required. Same for 2018 Genesis G80 and G90.

For 2019, neither the Stingers, nor G90, G80 or G70 are on either list.

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gasoline | Edmunds

'Edmunds has compiled two lists: Premium Recommended and Premium Required for vehicles from the 2012 to 2018 model years, with some 2019 models included. If your vehicle is on the Recommended list, you can try switching to regular unleaded gas. If your car is on the Required list, then you need to run premium gas. '

And my manual says 87.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

The required fuel may be 87, 91 or 93, its just a matter of what they want to write in the manual.
    The fact is that with higher octane fuel the Stinger does make significantly more power. So it is possible to use 87 fuel, but the car won't make as much power as it can do.
    I guess this won't change in 2019, regardless of what is written in the manual. I wonder though, why they edited that part. :)

14. Dapper_Don

Dapper_Don United States New Member

In my manual for my '19 on page 1-2 it says:

"For optimal engine performance, we recommend you use an unleaded gasoline which has an octane rating of RON (Research Octane Number) 95/AKI (Anti Knock Index) 91 or higher. Using Unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than RON 95 could result in loss of engine power and increase in fuel consumption."

I'm from the camp that if it has turbos, use highest octane available, but that's just my paranoia.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Truth is 93 is not boasting ''more power''.....the only thing and I mean ONLY thing is what does the engine do with any said octanes? If it adjusts firing of the spark plugs , which the stinger does, then any fuel can be used with zero effects. However higher octanes affect the efficiency of any high compression engine. ALL a higher octane fuel does is suspend the combustion until the piston finally reaches top dead center......a lower octane fuel is by definition more volatile than any higher octane fuel that has a higher flash point....the temperature needed for combustion.

Higher compression engines run more efficiently when fueled with a higher octane fuel PERIOD.

When an engine is able to compensate with a lower octane fuel, it makes it a more economical engine (the gas is cheaper).

16. Dapper_Don

Not necessarily. My '14 Mustang would take 87, but it pulled the timing so that it would only produce 410 HP (I think). Granted, I know that's only 10 HP, but the HP was reduced to prevent detonation. You had to use 91/93 to get the full 420 HP. The Stinger is probably using the same method to reduce detonation but that comes at a reduction in power as it states in the manual.

17. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I use 89 on uninspiring road trips, but 91 for everyday driving and the drag strip.

I just got back from a ~450 mile road trip and ran 89. Despite highly mountainous terrain, it looks like I got around 27mpg.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Active Member

This is correct. Thus, the only real questions are will the driver notice 2-3% less hp when running 87 fuel, AND, is that 2-3% hp decrease worth a 20% price premium for the 91/93 octane fuel.

I say no, plain and simple, my butt dyno isn't calibrated that finely and 8-10 hp at the crank isn't worth 40 cents a gallon.

At least, not without a tune. As long as your Stinger is stock, you can safely run 87 octane gas with ZERO danger to your engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Dapper_Don

Oh, I agree, but without knowing how much power it's pulling using 87 over 93, I prefer to use 93 to get all the HP I paid for, and for a full tank of 93 over 87, it's only around $10 a tank right now. I'll just skip a number 1 from Chic-Fil-A every other week to make up for it, and as @eflyguy mentioned, on a long trip I'll definitely fill up with 87, but spirited around town driving, 93 all the way, plus I need that piece of mind knowing that I'm not risking detonation.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Active Member

That's called wisdom. Making an informed decision! Well done, Dapper!

Before my tune, I came to a similar conclusion. I just don't want people thinking, believing, they MUST use premium fuel in these cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted