Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Dreaded Warped Rotors

Discussion in 'Open Letters to Kia Motors' started by Lsju, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu United States Active Member

This is why I never buy first year launches of cars. They often do not have all the bugs sorted yet.

My suggestion is to find a way to trade this vehicle in for a 2019. Get your lawyer to lean on them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

If we are all honest, it doesn't matter if the car is in its first year, second, or fourth, etc. These are machines with thousands of parts which creates multiple chances for failure. My 2018 GT2 has been relatively problem free. With over 22,000 miles so far, every problem was fixed under warranty. Even my new Kia rotors were fine when I chose to go with aftermarket.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks. You rant got me looking into TSA(b)'s for the Stinger. It appears kia has done a pretty good job addressing all of the concerns I've read about. It further appears that Kia has done nothing to address the rotors and pads. I'm using the info to wake up Kia through several sales department as a stipulation of purchase.
    Thank
    Lee
    gT350 - 2017

4. invisible1d

invisible1d United Kingdom Newish Member

This is one of very few forums that is so full of positives about the car they are based on. But there will always be a few situations where things will go wrong or very or wrong or crappy dealers. There is a Ford dealer near me that's got 1.5 stars on review sites. And they are still going with the same people.

Whatever Kia isn't fixing or whatever issues there are, it's nothing compared to the stories you read about Range Rover and how much do they cost? A friend had a fully loaded RR 1 year ago and after driving it for 3 out of 8 months when it inevitably went wrong again he sat down with them and didn't leave until full refund procedures had started. So it could be worse. Hope everything gets fixed soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. djerickd

djerickd United States Active Member

Went ahead and swapped out those ugly oem pads for the $53 ceramic D1001 option from KNS brakes.

Those weights had to go. 1019190414a.jpg 1019190414.jpg

Still waiting on KNS to post up the matching rear pads

6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Is the top pic "after" and the bottom pic is "before?" Neither looks like what I have:
    DSC07710.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Buffalohead50

Buffalohead50 United States New Member

KIA customer care is useless!! The rotors on my GT-2 had to be replaced at 6,000 miles and turned at 9,000 miles. Has nothing to do with bad driving habits. These are racing brakes and should perform accordingly. I contacted them about the brake issue on 9/7/19 and their website says that they will respond within 48 business hours. Well no response so I contacted them two (2) more times before I finally received a phone call on 10/9/19. You do the math. The person I talked to said they needed two (2) days to research the issue and get back to me. I still have not received a return call. Very, very poor customer service. I can't wait for JD Powers to send me a survey!!!

8. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States 1000 Posts Club!

They might be 'racing' rotors, but the pads are intentionally engineered to break down and be quiet, while offering moderate performance. This is why the euro spec ones are better. The combination of a heavy car and these US pads are a recipe for vibration.

9. djerickd

djerickd United States Active Member

Racing brakes lol

10. Buffalohead50

Where can i get the "better" euro pads?

11. Capital AL

Capital AL United States Member

I would like to know that as well.

12. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

I had the front rotors replaced under "goodwill", I told the KIA rep that's bullshit and you'll replace them as many times as I need as a $52K vehicle shouldn't need a brake overhaul every 10K miles.

Phone was pretty silent at that point. I think I made my point

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Buffalohead50

The rotors on my GT-2 had to be replaced at 6,000 miles (under warranty) and turned at 9,000 miles (again under warranty). They implied that it was the result of bad driving habits, but has nothing to do with bad driving habits. I contacted KIA Customer Care about the brake issue on 9/7/19 and their website says that they will respond within 48 business hours. Well no response so I contacted them two (2) more times before I finally received a phone call on 10/9/19. You do the math. The person I talked to said they needed two (2) days to research the issue and get back to me. Had not responded by 11/14/19, so I added more to my case file about their poor customer service. I received a phone call the next day. They agreed that the next time the brakes start pulsing, they will replace ALL rotors and pads. I fear that unless I get better pads, this issue will reoccur every 5000 miles or so. KIA needs to fix the problem, not just keep putting bandaids on the brakes.

14. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yep. Emailed them asking why my pads weren't replaced, haven't heard back.

I don't really think KIA cares that much, they are too busy trying to capture new buyers, they don't care about the existing customers.

15. Buffalohead50

Based on what I've seen on this site, I don't think putting the same pads on will solve the problem. i asked them if they are going to provide better pads and they didn't have an answer.

16. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Active Member

DON'T machine your rotors for this; it is totally unnecessary because your rotors are not warped. When I was young and stupid I street raced my ZR1 Corvette and after long hard stops where I could not let the brakes cool down, but had to hold the brake, I would get a pulsating pedal, and I could not find any runout on the rotor so I knew it was just glaze. What I did to resolve this was smear a little water-based valve grinding compound on each side of all four rotors, go do a long, slow stop, come back, wash off the brakes thoroughly (making sure there was no compound left on the seals), then went out to re-bed the brakes (2-3 hard stops from ~60mph) with five minutes cooling time between each stop. I've done this on several other cars as well and it works like a charm! I think I started doing this when I had a Z; it was either that or the MR2. I've driven insane speeds, and I've gotten brake rotors red hot in some of the cars I've had, but have never had rotors that were warped. Glazed, yes, definitely. Warped, no.

As mentioned the partial fix for this is to choose harder pads; I tend to use EBC Red Stuff to help avoid these issues. (I don't think they make pads for the Stinger but there are several vendors who make good pads for it), but if you do a long hard stop and then sit on the brake at a stop with no cooloff time, it doesn't matter what pads you have; deposits will be left behind and your brake pedal will pulsate. The euro spec pads will help, so if this is a repeating issue on your car, either change your braking habits, or insist your dealer install the euro spec pads. The real fix is to let your brakes cool off before standing on them or before using brake hold. Instead of the brake hold after a hard stop, use the parking brake, which if I have read correctly, on the Stinger is a small drum brake (like the C2-C3 Corvettes' parking brake was).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. eflyguy

eflyguy 2500 Posts Club!

I've commented on this several times here as well, rotors don't warp and machining them is a short-term solution.

I will add, however, that I had noticed some vibration again a few weeks back, even though I had not been using the brakes heavily around town. (I have had it a couple of times previously when driving hard.) Even though I only drive her once every week or two, I was able to remove the deposits with a just couple of VERY hard brake applications from high speed. One was somewhat necessary due to idiots in traffic, but I noticed a difference in pedal vibration so I blasted up the off-ramp a few miles later and braked as hard as I could. The regular braking needed the rest of the few miles home, I have no vibration again.

The two points are - you can re-bed them easily (which I've stated before) but also emphasizing that these pads (US market) really do leave deposits even in normal city driving. They're good for "GT use" but not suitable for everyday use around town.

I'm now seriously considering replacing them soon so I can benefit from better and more durable pads for the duration of my lease. I can always put the stock pads back on if needed before turning it in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SeanFL

SeanFL United States Newish Member

Kimberly, I'd like to give the process you described a try before buying new rotors. Was the compound something like this one? https://amzn.to/2S5CF20

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  19. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Active Member

Yes, but BE CAREFUL; You do not need to go fast for this, and it will temporarily increase stopping distance while the compound is wet. Once you do a few stops with moderate pressure let the brakes cool a bit and then wash the brake rotors and calipers THOROUGHLY; you want to get all of this grit away from the caliper seals (maybe I'm just overly cautious). Once you've washed it, then you can do the re-bed procedure to get the nice even layer of brake pad material you want deposited on the rotor. I've done this quite a few times on both my Corvette and my Saab 9-3 with no ill effects (it's been a non-issue with the Saab since I switched to EBC Redstuff pads).

Draft saved Draft deleted