• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Does anybody else need to learn where the wheels are on this car?

How many of you have already dinged/scraped your gorgeous alloy rims on your Stinger?

• I'm too good a driver for that.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I have done that more than once.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I have only scraped my wheel once, that was enough to tell me where the wheels are.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Not yet...

Votes: 25 21.2%

• Total voters

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
I'm at 14,000-ish miles and have not yet. It's only a matter of time, my last car had a bit of rash on each of the rims by time I was done with it (45,000 miles).

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
I'm at 14,000-ish miles and have not yet. It's only a matter of time, my last car had a bit of rash on each of the rims by time I was done with it (45,000 miles).
Well until your time arrives have the comfort in knowing they can be fixed right back to new condition by a quality wheel guy. Punishment in my area was $150 per incident. Fortunately I managed to get my dealer to toss in Global Warranty with my deal so my 4 maybe 5 scrape ups got covered. But like I say I think I’m cured.

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
all four of my rims are covered in road rashes. mainly the back ones when me and my cousin go on our high adventures to the most narrow jack in the box ever. or it's cuz I'm baked but idk

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
Well until your time arrives have the comfort in knowing they can be fixed right back to new condition by a quality wheel guy. Punishment in my area was $150 per incident. Fortunately I managed to get my dealer to toss in Global Warranty with my deal so my 4 maybe 5 scrape ups got covered. But like I say I think I’m cured.
I'd probably accumulate a bunch and sink that money into new rims, than spend money to have them fixed. I'm not twitchy about my car so I'm fine with personality chips and dings. The rash on my old car's rims had zero impact on the resale value.

killinghall

Whenever I park I think of kerb rash and scratches first thing so that kinda keeps me on my toes.

But I'll say the cameras and visual aids are excellent in helping me make unnecessary contact with surfaces.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I backed into a right end, end stall (my nemesis, I wasn't even thinking about that, which is why that is my nemesis), and when I pulled forward I saw that I was too far away from the curb, so, I decided to angle in and back up again, but the end of the curb (out of my sight below my fender) was still there and I steered right into it(!?), taking a chunk of my sidewall rib out c. two inches long and gouging my rim, WTHH is up with this parking thing, after all I’m into my fifth year with this car: “Curbinator” is right, heh!
DSCF1687.JPG

Last edited:

hayagix

My replacement rims are pristine but it cost me a lot of money. Bought the wife her own car. Amazingly she hasn't marked it up yet.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
Merlin I see two 3 options.

1) Stop driving
2) Leave it as is
3) Leave it as is but with some jbweld.

The rim bead does not appear compromised?

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Merlin I see two 3 options.

1) Stop driving
2) Leave it as is
3) Leave it as is but with some jbweld.

The rim bead does not appear compromised?
Bead is on the inside, the scuff is entirely on the outer face. So far, I've never done any repair to the metal itself, only painted over it. I literally pushed into the curb, I wasn't even doing 1 MPH.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MrE

That's no good mate, I'll bet you were annoyed, I sure would be.

Forgot about this thread, but yep, found myself accidentally mounting a gutter with the left rear wheel the other day as I exited left out of a basement driveway.
No damage done, but still getting myself truly familiar with this car's length, turning circle etc.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
"Mounting a gutter", no, I haven't cut corners thus far. I tend to do wagon wheel turns to the right, and watch very carefully to the left (reverse this for Down Under drivers): so, I haven't clipped a gutter with this car. What really raises my awareness is pulling up to gas station islands: with previous vehicles, I have opened my door into them, and even come a cropper on the end of the island when they are too low to see: so, previous experience behind me, I have managed to spare the Stinger any door dings or horrible crunching in of the rocker panels, etc.

I was super annoyed yesterday! Beyond words, actually, so, an onlooker (if there was one) would have seen this old guy mutter something, and sit there for a long moment, then reverse and turn the wheel away from the curb, and idle across the parking lot lane and park between two cars, get out slowly, make his way around the rear of his car up to the front passenger wheel and crouch down and stare for a long time, running his fingers along the damage: then stand up, go to the hatch and open it up, get out two touchup paint kits (one flat black, one gloss black), return to the wheel and then sit on the curb shaking the paint: then, one after the other, open them and run the paint brush over the bare, roughened metal with a thick coating. Then he put them back in the hatch, closed it, took several steps away from the car, turned and stared at it, reached into his pocket and obviously thumb the button, because the mirrors beeped and closed in and flashed lights: then he continued into the bakery. When he came out a few minutes later with a bread bag in hand, he didn't even bother looking at the aggrieved wheel, but simply got in and drove away. Inside he must have been fuming still, because he is right now, writing this.

And this is only half of what causes the fuming. Later he went to Costco to gas up, and the thrice-bepoxed pump REFUSED his Visa card.

WTHH is up with that!? Here I go all the way to Milwaukee and back last week-plus, on the same (only) Visa card: return home, go to "my" fueling station and get told by the stupid machine to "go F-off". I even got the attendant girl to watch what I was doing: she told me to try tapping my card instead of inserting it: okay, I did so: and got to the point where I enter my PIN, aaagain, and she watched me deliberately put my PIN in, and it looked like I was good to go, so, she walked away, and suddenly the screen said I was declined after all, and I called to her, "It's doing it AGAIN, I am refused!" And all she could offer was some nebulous excuse: no doubt wishing I'd go away instead of get angry around her: since apparently I was doing something wrong: after all, her job includes daily encounters with OLD people, Boomers who don't really stay comfy with this tech stuff as our brains slowly, inevitably, turn to mush: who wants to try and convince yet another Boomer that his brain is have a farting moment, aaagain? I drove away feeling a continuation of my annoyance and outrage (still smarting, of course, over the damaged wheel and tire), to the local Shell station, where I got gas without the least difficulty: inserted my card, put in my PIN, and selected Premium and paid over $72 to fill my tank. Outrageous. (Costco was $4.89/gallon, Shell was $5.23, a personal insult).

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
What is this pin concept? Debit card? Why? Better to float bank's money.

I buy costco gift cards. It cuts down on the amount of insertions needed at the pump.

bfglitch

I never use my debit card at a gas pump any more. I've had my card skimmed way too many times. Also I try to only go to gas pumps that have tap to pay/Google or Apple Pay. Haven't had my card skimmed since and it's been years.

If you use your debit card and it gets skimmed....that's your direct money coming out of your account when the thieves start making random purchases, which they can then proceed to completely drain you of every penny you have in your account. At least with a credit card it's not your actual cash they're draining, and most credit cards are pretty good when it comes to reversing / reimbursing the charges when it comes to theft.

Also @MerlintheMad maybe its time to get a set of curb feelers.
curbfeelers-300x240.jpg

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I've had my card skimmed way too many times.
Wow. I've only heard of this, never known it to happen. I thought that chipped cards were immune to being "skimmed"? Or at least very protected. I'm not going to get a Visa CC just so I can get gas at Costco.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bfglitch

Wow. I've only heard of this, never known it to happen. I thought that chipped cards were immune to being "skimmed"? Or at least very protected. I'm not going to get a Visa CC just so I can get gas at Costco.
Yeah the chip itself is mostly immune to skimming (although I read somewhere that they're not 100% foolproof), but you still have to insert your card into a slot. Also at the time a lot of the gas stations around me weren't using chip readers. Either way, I'd be careful at gas stations and ATM's. Two most likely places for people to insert skimmers.

Also just because the machine has a "tamper proof seal" on it doesn't mean squat.

As for why your card was declined at Costco but not at Shell....who knows. I did read the other day that they're increasing the max hold amount on credit card gas purchases to $175. May have something to do with that. Not really sure if that effects debit, can't remember.