Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Concerns - Popping/Creaking Noise from Sunroof

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by regnitStinger, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Stupid "luck." Some of us have no hatch rattle (me) but a seemingly difficult to fix sunroof rattle (me), but others have a difficult to fix hatch rattle (you) and easy to fix sunroof rattle (you)...

2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

I picked up my car from the autobody shop yesterday after having the rear bumper repainted due to a small scratch , I also had the roof covered in gloss black vinyl ( to cover a small scratch caused by the sunroof replacement ) , the manager of the shop told me they had a Mercedes that was involved in a serious accident that was rebuilt and the customer complained that the sunroof now creaked ..............long story short , they tweeked it several times and were able to eliminate the noise .................maybe you should pursue this issue with a top end autobody shop ...........they deal with these types of issues every day , and Kia dont ........................just a thought

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Just like the sunroof issues, works for many, but not all :(

4. 144Para

144Para Canada New Member

Just started the painful process - car is an April 2018 build, and so far, for the last couple of weeks, with 14k kms on, my symptoms mimic yours exactly. Have scheduled a meeting with local Service, and have been granted a case file. I intend to keep my powder dry for a while, so won't contact Matt Butcher in NF just yet. Just want to thank you for your doggedness and persistence with your problem, and your subsequent efforts at publishing the results on this site. I for one have found it immensely helpful. I'll update with developments as and when they occur.......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. westcoastGT

Thank you ! Keep us posted , when its fixed you'll really enjoy it so much more !

Good Luck !

6. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

SOLVED. I took my friend with me to find that particular ticking spot which annoyed me for all that time. It was near sunroof somewhere and could appear even on smooth roads. After 10 mins we found the spot: it appeared to be passenger's roof handle (?). With subsequent manipulations, we found that it happens in the right binding of the handle. Tried to apply "anti-noise" tape to that binding in different ways with no luck yet. So I just unscrewed it by one turn from the tight position and it's gone now. Will try to fix it more properly later, but now it's silent :thumbup:

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Interesting. That's the type of plastic and positioning that would also be affected by the car sitting in hot sun and then A/C running inside the car.

• Like Like x 1
  8. westcoastGT

I sincerely hope you are right ! Keep us posted with temperature changes , as that seems to impact it , great determination !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. 7Andrei7

7Andrei7 Romania Member

I realized that if I don’t mess around with the sun roof (not open it at all) for some time I don’t get any noise, regardless of conditions. If I open it, in any position, and then close it, it will take a few hours until it settles down and not make any noise.
    If the car flexes a little the noises go away faster.
    If the car is only on very smooth roads, the noises are there for longer.

10. mitchyboy

mitchyboy Australia Member

Picked up my car on Friday. So far so good - no noise at all coming from sunroof. I don't have the details yet on exactly what they did, but they will be sending me the detailed report this week. No other issues from the process, except that they scratched my steering wheel slightly - nothing major, but they pointed it out to me when I collected the car and advised me that they had already ordered me a new one from the factory in Korea. So I'm pleased with their honesty.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

This is a very good find. I drove around for an hour in a parking lot trying to isolate the noise with a stethoscope, and I felt like I'd narrowed it to the ceiling area around the handle. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any more precise without someone to help me, and just hadn't gotten that scheduled yet. I will tinker with the handle screws tomorrow. Not sure if it's directly related or not, but I use the handle pretty much every time I get out of the car, so I was starting to get suspicious of roof weld point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. westcoastGT

I would pay money for a vid of you driving around a parking lot with a stethoscope listening to your car ........................bawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

[/QUOTE]
    Surely you can’t be serious.

I’m serious, and don’t call me Shirley.
    1B2977C5-5A94-4FEA-9817-5FA1A273625E.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. roadtripguy

roadtripguy United States New Member

Thank you!!!

18 GT2 / April'18 build date with 5400 miles

I also have had a recurring 'popping' noise above my head, but only when the temperature increases above about 75 f/24 c. The smallest bump on a smooth road would cause, but again only when the car had been sitting out in the sun for a while. Complete non-issue in winter. I took a half turn (Phillips screw) out of the the driver side grab handle last night and the noise absolutely went away after work today.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. westcoastGT

keep us posted in temperature changes

16. Revvdmedia

Huh, crazy if a fix is that simple for some of us! Easy to try anyway. My roof was an absolute disgrace to mankind today, so noisy! Rude!

If little tweak does nothing I'll have to get with the dealer sooner than later. This noise is becoming embarassing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. westcoastGT

Go Revv ! If I can help in any way pls let me know !! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

18. Revvdmedia

For sure and thanks. I know I'll need to go through the service manager, I dont like he answers I was getting from his team. I'll probably have to call it in to Kia Corp to escalate it too. Unless of course Kia gets this figured out before I get in and resolved. I dont want some half baked repair.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

Unfortunately, this didn't solve my issue, although I can confirm both the handle and the headliner material do have the potential to creak. I think my next step is to remove the interior door panel, and see if the noise persists without it installed.

20. westcoastGT

sorry to hear ! good luck in the pursuit !

Draft saved Draft deleted