Buyer's Remorse? Help Me Out, Y'all...

DevLF

San Diego, CA
Thanks, Dev for taking the time to advise! I already tried this though. All that does is control the volume for Android Auto, which is the same as simply turning up the volume with the knob (i.e.: when I go back to Android Auto after I adjust it, the volume matches the number I chose on the Phone Projection screen). The problem I am having is that there is np bass or depth at the same volume where the radio is blaring. I have actually benchmarked this. I go to a random Surius XM channel and find a good song, then find that on Spotify. I switch back and forth between the two audio sources, and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I am wondering if Harmon Kardon didn't program the system correctly, like the amp settings are different for the radio than they are for Bluetooth and Android Auto. I have the same problem no matter which I use. I'm truly at a loss. I've warmed up to the car and decided I like it, but this has really got the better of me. I know it's not a blown speaker or sub or amp, becuase the sound with satellite radio is quite excellent.
Hmm, i don't personally use SiriusXM or radio but perhaps changing the tonal settings could help. What phone are you using to connect via bluetooth?

Attachments

<pollux>

Hmm, i don't personally use SiriusXM or radio but perhaps changing the tonal settings could help. What phone are you using to connect via bluetooth?
Yeah, I've already adjusted all of the settings. Quantum Logic on or off, stage or audience. Adjusting the bass, mid, and treble. Usling both Bluetooth and Android Auto. Even changing settings on my phone, though that can't be the problem because nothing changed on it between me driving in my old car to the dealership (sounded great) and driving home with the new ride. I also tried using my wife's iPhone, which yielded the same result. I have an appointment at my dealership to get it looked at, but I insisted that I stay with the tech so that I could show him or her exactly what I am talking about. And they couldn't get me in until 8/25. But I don't know what else to do. I've Googled it, called Kia directly, and even reached out to a local car audio place and nobody seems to know what the problem is. I mean why did I pay for the top-end sound system if it's going to give me these problems? I sure hope they can fix this.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
Yeah, I've already adjusted all of the settings. Quantum Logic on or off, stage or audience. Adjusting the bass, mid, and treble. Usling both Bluetooth and Android Auto. Even changing settings on my phone, though that can't be the problem because nothing changed on it between me driving in my old car to the dealership (sounded great) and driving home with the new ride. I also tried using my wife's iPhone, which yielded the same result. I have an appointment at my dealership to get it looked at, but I insisted that I stay with the tech so that I could show him or her exactly what I am talking about. And they couldn't get me in until 8/25. But I don't know what else to do. I've Googled it, called Kia directly, and even reached out to a local car audio place and nobody seems to know what the problem is. I mean why did I pay for the top-end sound system if it's going to give me these problems? I sure hope they can fix this.
A couple things I noticed - the bass really opened up after I had put about 2500 miles on the car (I know that's weird). I'm not sure if it's mental or "break in" (if it's real) or what, but I do feel like there was a difference. I was even trying the piece of paper over the subs under the seat thing to see if they're moving.
I usually connect my phone via bluetooth, using spotify or a podcast app. My usually music listening volume is between 5-7. I do notice that sometimes I have to turn up higher, maybe to 12-15 to get to what I subjectively think is the same volume. I'm not sure if you've tried doing a complete Sound setting default, but that seems to correct it for me. I'm not sure what gremlin it is mucking things up but doing that and resetting all my sound settings to what they were previously seems to fix it. I've done this maybe 2-3 times.

Maybe you can let everyone know what area you're in - maybe you can find someone local to do masked up side by side comparison. Or maybe in a different one at the dealer?

Thanks, Dev for taking the time to advise! I already tried this though. All that does is control the volume for Android Auto, which is the same as simply turning up the volume with the knob (i.e.: when I go back to Android Auto after I adjust it, the volume matches the number I chose on the Phone Projection screen). The problem I am having is that there is np bass or depth at the same volume where the radio is blaring. I have actually benchmarked this. I go to a random Surius XM channel and find a good song, then find that on Spotify. I switch back and forth between the two audio sources, and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I am wondering if Harmon Kardon didn't program the system correctly, like the amp settings are different for the radio than they are for Bluetooth and Android Auto. I have the same problem no matter which I use. I'm truly at a loss. I've warmed up to the car and decided I like it, but this has really got the better of me. I know it's not a blown speaker or sub or amp, becuase the sound with satellite radio is quite excellent.
Something is definitely amiss if this is the case.. in our case it is a noticeable Improvement in depth and quality listening to Spotify on our phone on Bluetooth over radio or XM.

<pollux>

A couple things I noticed - the bass really opened up after I had put about 2500 miles on the car (I know that's weird). I'm not sure if it's mental or "break in" (if it's real) or what, but I do feel like there was a difference. I was even trying the piece of paper over the subs under the seat thing to see if they're moving.
I usually connect my phone via bluetooth, using spotify or a podcast app. My usually music listening volume is between 5-7. I do notice that sometimes I have to turn up higher, maybe to 12-15 to get to what I subjectively think is the same volume. I'm not sure if you've tried doing a complete Sound setting default, but that seems to correct it for me. I'm not sure what gremlin it is mucking things up but doing that and resetting all my sound settings to what they were previously seems to fix it. I've done this maybe 2-3 times.

Maybe you can let everyone know what area you're in - maybe you can find someone local to do masked up side by side comparison. Or maybe in a different one at the dealer?
Yeah, that is my plan. I'm gonna pursue this for sure! Thanks, and love the handle!

Blingen

Dover, DE
My Samsung phone under sounds and vibrations, sound quality and effects, then select Adapt Sound at the bottom, plug in a set of headphones then go through the personalize your sound setting. It made a difference from me. There is also a 9 band EQ.

<pollux>

My Samsung phone under sounds and vibrations, sound quality and effects, then select Adapt Sound at the bottom, plug in a set of headphones then go through the personalize your sound setting. It made a difference from me. There is also a 9 band EQ.
Thanks, Blingen! I have played with those settings and they do change the sound, but I still have the volume issue. :(

Blingen

Dover, DE
These steps have helped me in the past: 1. While using the Bluetooth, use the phone volume control on the screen. Turn it the whole way down then turn it up to the max. 2. Samsung also has a bluetooth media volume limit setting hidden in the menus. Go to Sound and Vibration, Volume menu (shows the volume for ringtone, media, notifications, etc), then tap the three dots in the upper right corner. Open the media volume limit. It may have turned on. Also check that setting when you are on bluetooth. 3. Try deleting the stinger bluetooth then pair it again to your phone.

<pollux>

Hey again, everyone. In case anyone is still paying attention, I still haven't figured out the audio issue yet. I've shown a few people and they all see exactly what I am talking about. I even tried using a 3.5mm cable and going into the Aux jack and that was even worse. I can't seem to find anywhere on the Internet where someone else has complained about this issue, so I am starting to wonder if it is peculiar to my car. I have an appointment at the dealership, but I have a high degree of skepticism that it will ever be fixed.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
Hey again, everyone. In case anyone is still paying attention, I still haven't figured out the audio issue yet. I've shown a few people and they all see exactly what I am talking about. I even tried using a 3.5mm cable and going into the Aux jack and that was even worse. I can't seem to find anywhere on the Internet where someone else has complained about this issue, so I am starting to wonder if it is peculiar to my car. I have an appointment at the dealership, but I have a high degree of skepticism that it will ever be fixed.
One more shot in the dark - there's a thread titled "Navigation Update" that you can search for, maybe to see if your software is the latest.

Hilleagle

These steps have helped me in the past: 1. While using the Bluetooth, use the phone volume control on the screen. Turn it the whole way down then turn it up to the max. 2. Samsung also has a bluetooth media volume limit setting hidden in the menus. Go to Sound and Vibration, Volume menu (shows the volume for ringtone, media, notifications, etc), then tap the three dots in the upper right corner. Open the media volume limit. It may have turned on. Also check that setting when you are on bluetooth. 3. Try deleting the stinger bluetooth then pair it again to your phone.
I was also going to add that the phone itself could be the issue. Please take the time to look at all the settings in your phone.

As for the car. Just go and look at it!

I cannot think of a better looking car for the money! It drives great and has loads of kit! Mine is diesel, but still feels like a true GT car. I don't have your fuel issues, but then I dont have the performance either!

Forget the Optima, it's gone! Focus on the positives of the Stinger!

And start by looking at it!

<pollux>

I was also going to add that the phone itself could be the issue. Please take the time to look at all the settings in your phone.

As for the car. Just go and look at it!

I cannot think of a better looking car for the money! It drives great and has loads of kit! Mine is diesel, but still feels like a true GT car. I don't have your fuel issues, but then I dont have the performance either!

Forget the Optima, it's gone! Focus on the positives of the Stinger!

And start by looking at it!
I do love the looks. They've grown on me for sure. :)

bostonjomo

Newish Member
On the MPG discussion (one of the remorse reasons), would swapping to 19s all around help mpg?

Thinking about having a summer set of wheels (summers on 19s) and a winter set (Blizzaks on the staggered OEMs once I kill the all-seasons).

(Or boo me if i shouldve just made this its own topic)

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
On the audio thing, it might a programming the dealer needs to fix. My 2018 had a similar issue of low sound, could max out the volume and still have a conversation in the car. The 2019 is way better. My buddy with a 2018 mentioned mine was louder and some weeks after, he went in for a service and when he got the car back, it was fine. Said it was something they forgot to disable/enable in the audio system to prevent folks killing the speakers during test drives, but they didn't take care of before delivery. Your's might be a similar thing.

Last edited:

<pollux>

On the audio thing, it might a programming the dealer needs to fix. My 2018 had a similar issue of low sound, could max out the volume and still have a conversation in the car. The 2019 is way better. My buddy with a 2018 mentioned mine was louder and some weeks after, he went in for a service and when he got the car back, it was fine. Said it was something they forgot to disable/enable in the audio system to prevent folks killing the speakers during test driver, but they didn't take care of before delivery. Your's might be a similar thing.
That would be AWESOME.